TTC Application Process

ericgu22

1 hour ago, leylandvictory2 said:

the amount of pay after you finish your training depends on your crew.  Some crews pay more than the others.  

Yea I know which is why I was hoping for a rough idea of the net earnings. Based on a 41.5 hour week.

34 minutes ago, slowtyper said:

Training pay is discussed in this thread somewhere also,. Try a search.  I think it was roughly 700-750 a week 9before taxes, but don't quote me on this.

Yes I know but that doesn't help me lol I am interested in the net amount not gross.

6 hours ago, SecondGen-Op said:

Hey guys,

I am not sure if anyone has asked this question previously. It would pertain to an opporator who is currently going through training and received their first pay, also for an operator who completed training and received their first pay cheque post training. 

From what I understand we get paid weekly.

Question is :

1. What is the net amount for each cheque during training?

2. What is the net amount for each cheque once you start full time in your mode?

It can be an average since it obviously depends on the crew someone has and overtime they pick up. Hoping for a rough idea.

Thanks guys appreciate the help.

Take home pay during training is about 592 a week. This is based on 30 hours even though you'll be in training for 40 hours. Once you pass training you get paid based on the crew value. Until you have enough seniority to pick a crew you won't know how many hours you'll be working or what time you'll be working. One day you can have 8 hours, the next day 11 hours, the next day 9 hours, next day 12 hours, etc.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Betablocker said:

Take home pay during training is about 592 a week. This is based on 30 hours even though you'll be in training for 40 hours. Once you pass training you get paid based on the crew value. Until you have enough seniority to pick a crew you won't know how many hours you'll be working or what time you'll be working. One day you can have 8 hours, the next day 11 hours, the next day 9 hours, next day 12 hours, etc.

Great thanks for letting me know I appreciate it.

2 hours ago, Betablocker said:

Great thanks for letting me know I appreciate it.

5 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

the amount of pay after you finish your training depends on your crew.  Some crews pay more than the others.  

Is it fair to say one would net at least $750 a week? 

On 1/19/2017 at 7:10 PM, Mark97 said:

ahh man I was just going to ask you about it if you don't mind. How is the training like is it a lot of in class stuff, and is it hard to learn the information regarding the train ? 

Yea so glad to get it started I hope your call is fairly soon!! Wish you nothing but the best of luck on whatever mode of transportation you get !!! 

Yes a lot of in-class material but as day 10 approaches it starts becoming more on the line material. I would say it is difficult but the program is taught at college level. The level of difficulty is because you are learning something completely new so everything may seem overwhelming. 

• Like 1

In documentation we were recommended to bring a carry on luggage type thing to carry our books.  Is that really required?  I only have a fairly large sized carry on (I think he was referring to a half sized one).  

Otherwise I have a regular sized MEC backpack and a small gym bag..  are we carrying this large binder back and forth to class each day?

1 hour ago, slowtyper said:

In documentation we were recommended to bring a carry on luggage type thing to carry our books.  Is that really required?  I only have a fairly large sized carry on (I think he was referring to a half sized one).  

Otherwise I have a regular sized MEC backpack and a small gym bag..  are we carrying this large binder back and forth to class each day?

Bring a big bag. When I was training for streetcars they added all the LFLRV stuff and the binder is just huge. But it's not just the binder. You'll get a workbook for the homework plus your DPR book plus a whole bunch of disablement books, health and safety book, etc. I brought a large gym bag and I could barely fit all the stuff in there. I would also suggest to bring lunch from home, get a lunch bag and pack it with an ice pack. Bring snacks too. When you're operating during training you may not have time to grab lunch from outside. Good luck guys!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, slowtyper said:

Thanks for the tips!  Do you carry all of that to training each day?  

I've always been curious how many TTC drivers take the TTC, or live in Toronto?  Seems like a lot I meet don't live here.

I live in Toronto and yes I take TTC to downtown and whenever I start at at a station and finishes at the garage.

2 hours ago, slowtyper said:

As an informal guess what percentage of drivers do you think live in Toronto and take the TTC regularly to get around?

Not a lot.  

2 hours ago, a1brt said:

Quick question, so it says in the collective agreement that if for example your shift ended at a relief point, not back at the garage, it says the time it takes you to get from relief point to the garage to report counts towards your hours, is that the case when you take TTC from relief point to the garage too or only if you're driving?

Also it says there's extra 15 mins added to your time for reporting, and if you have split shifts then 30mins total?

And how is Delay time calculated, it says if you are running the bus back to the garage if you are over 10mins late due to traffic, it counts as 2x pay, how does it work when you are relieved on the street?

No clue I just look at total pay.

Late policy is more or less than for finishing at the garage and on the street. 

On 1/17/2017 at 7:48 PM, Peregrine154 said:

I was at the November 15, 2016 info session too. I've completed my interview and I'm waiting to hear back. Fingers crossed! 

Congratulations!! and good luck Peregrine154. When was your interview and I would really appreciate if you could share some insight about it. Mine is coming up next week. Any help would be appreciated.

On 1/18/2017 at 9:50 PM, Ttoperator said:

Hi Everyone,

Just an update, i had my interview in the first week of Jan, 2017. They contacted 2 references out of 4 last week. I am little worried here, Do they contact all references or just 2 only  ??? How long does it take to know if you have passed the interview or not ???

Hey Ttoperator!!

Did you hear back from them since your interview. It seems as though you would be selected. Do let us know what came of it. Good Luck!!

On 1/14/2017 at 9:15 AM, KG724 said:

Congratulations TTC_Man! Hopefully I will find out soon if I am moving to the next stage. 

Good luck at your interview!

Hello KG724

I was also there in 16th Nov session. Were you able to find out about the Interview date ?? I am still waiting for mine.........

On 2017-01-22 at 2:37 PM, TTC_Man said:

Congratulations!! and good luck Peregrine154. When was your interview and I would really appreciate if you could share some insight about it. Mine is coming up next week. Any help would be appreciated.

Hey Ttoperator!!

Did you hear back from them since your interview. It seems as though you would be selected. Do let us know what came of it. Good Luck!!

Hey TTC_Man, thanks!

My interview was last week, January 16-20 and my references were contacted during the same week. As for insight, triple check that you have everything that was asked of you in the interview email. I googled "behavioural based interview questions" and it really helped me prepare because some of the ones I practiced were in it. Bring water too, that was a suggestion at the info session and it was a big help. Good luck on your interview and just remember, you got yourself to the interview and only you can prove to them you have what it takes.  

2 hours ago, SL649 said:

Hello KG724

I was also there in 16th Nov session. Were you able to find out about the Interview date ?? I am still waiting for mine.........

Hi SL649, 

I haven't received a call back as of yet. They said by Jan 31st, so I am hoping that either way I'll know soon. 

17 hours ago, KG724 said:

Hi SL649, 

I haven't received a call back as of yet. They said by Jan 31st, so I am hoping that either way I'll know soon. 

Hi KG724

Thanks for replying. I was wondering..... is there any number that we can call to find out ?? or do we have to wait till 31st Jan. i guess in this particular discussion board couple of ppl have already been called for interview. Do you know more ppl that have received a call for interview and are from the same batch ?? 

2 hours ago, SL649 said:

Hi KG724

Thanks for replying. I was wondering..... is there any number that we can call to find out ?? or do we have to wait till 31st Jan. i guess in this particular discussion board couple of ppl have already been called for interview. Do you know more ppl that have received a call for interview and are from the same batch ?? 

Do not call anyone at the ttc, just wait!

5 hours ago, a1brt said:

Just sit tight you will find out within a week. If your references have been contacted it is a good indicator you will be getting positive result, and vice versa, so might want to check with your  references if they had a call from Garda. Good luck!

Thank You for the information :)

3 hours ago, slowtyper said:

Do not call anyone at the ttc, just wait!

OK !! Thank You for the information :)

2 hours ago, ttcscarb said:

Had documentation today. Around 13 people there. 

We were specifically told training calls go in order of medical date.

Yes you are correct. Although a few forum members have got the call ahead of others even though their medical was at a later date. I noticed this was the case when they were called for subway.

Did they give an idea when you should expect a call for training?

• Like 1