Winnipeg Transit 100s enter service

tovinman

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

** Admin warning: This post may contain false information **

New Flyer has assigned line-up numbers for the next batch of Winnipeg Transit buses, this means that start of production will be within the next 90 days. There will be 31 units, one to replace 136 and the rest are to be numbers 140 through 169

Five MCI Classics are to be retired when these begin arriving, which means that five of the 800 series will survive, likely the higher units like 884, 889 etc.

Rumor has it that Brandons' four D40LFr and Winnipegs' entire batch will be built together. Brandon also has seven D35LFr on order.

Not sure whether these will have the relocated A/C units or not. NFI has relocated the A/C to the rooftop to clear space for the 2010 EPA engine and the

SCR system.

Last Monday the first three Winnipeg Transit 100 series D40LFrs entered service. These buses differ from the 2008 and 2009 batches (though they were built in late 2009) as they lack the blackout below the windshield and the headlight trim.

101 and 102 were seen Monday, January 11 while 101, 102, and 105 were seen the rest of the week with 106 and 107 in the garage being prepped.

So far two highfloors, 837 and 878, were removed from service Friday and towed to General Scrap. The ASA displays were removed from them and installed in the new 100s (ASA displays mounted in the highfloors have a black/yellow warning stripe along the bottom edge). We're watching for three more retirees but 841 is believed to be one donor as it's been sitting unused on a track reserved for retirees and long term repair projects.

There was indeed a 136. That is now 115 (2nd) but the VIN was removed from the original 115 (a big no-no) and the VIN from 136 was reissued for

900 (another big no-no). 136 is to be replaced with this next order (140-169) due to enter production shortly

XCELSIOR #4 now seems to have the VIN that likely would have gone to #3

There likely is no 136. The Xcelsior demo 900 has the serial number that follows 135.

** Admin warning: This post may contain false information **

New Flyer has assigned line-up numbers for the next batch of Winnipeg Transit buses, this means that start of production will be within the next 90 days. There will be 31 units, one to replace 136 and the rest are to be numbers 140 through 169

Five MCI Classics are to be retired when these begin arriving, which means that five of the 800 series will survive, likely the higher units like 884, 889 etc.

Rumor has it that Brandons' four D40LFr and Winnipegs' entire batch will be built together. Brandon also has seven D35LFr on order.

Not sure whether these will have the relocated A/C units or not. NFI has relocated the A/C to the rooftop to clear space for the 2010 EPA engine and the

SCR system.

There was indeed a 136. That is now 115 (2nd) but the VIN was removed from the original 115 (a big no-no) and the VIN from 136 was reissued for

900 (another big no-no). 136 is to be replaced with this next order (140-169) due to enter production shortly

XCELSIOR #4 now seems to have the VIN that likely would have gone to #3

115 is still 115 was in repair shop for a month and can't be 136

---

136 was never built. I'm sure we can find proof if we look at the Vin's of 115 and 135. That small of a hit on 115 wont put it on death row. Heck, BT runs buses with damage like that sometimes.

SCR system.

Brandon's 2010 New Flyers are the last of the 2007 EPA as they were ordered in 2009, and not 2010.

• 2 weeks later...

Out of 10 what would you guys rate your newest bathc of D40LFR's? passenger wise and driver wise

In calgary we only ever bought 1 batch and i must say they aren't bad however everyone complains about them

being unreliable and such, so im just wondering how other citys feel about there units?

I would give them a 9 out of 10... I mean... no bus is perfect. But these newest 100's series are pretty decent. No significant defects or problems with them, from a passenger's point of view anyways. They're basically the same as the 700's except the minor changes NFI put on the 2010 ones (squared off door windows, etc.) I docked off one mark because some of them can be a bit rattly!

I can't wait till the 2011's come out! I wanna see how the 2010 EPA engine does!

I would give them a 9 out of 10... I mean... no bus is perfect. But these newest 100's series are pretty decent. No significant defects or problems with them, from a passenger's point of view anyways. They're basically the same as the 700's except the minor changes NFI put on the 2010 ones (squared off door windows, etc.) I docked off one mark because some of them can be a bit rattly!

I can't wait till the 2011's come out! I wanna see how the 2010 EPA engine does!

Yes! I love Winnipeg because they still support my favorite bus NFI :) So many people hate them but as you said no bus is perfect.

Is Winnipeg locked in for more NFI?

Yes! I love Winnipeg because they still support my favorite bus NFI :) So many people hate them but as you said no bus is perfect.

Is Winnipeg locked in for more NFI?

Most likey... but were ready for a few surprises! However, NFI will most likely beat out any other Manufacturer if they try to bid, as I'm sure WT and NFI both want to standardize the fleet! Yes, I also support D40LFR's and NFI BTW! :P

I just hope theres less of this...

Maybe with the Next batch of buses with the 2010 EPA engine?

Driver wise, I like the driver's seat when it's new, ride is typically better that it with the previous batches, good handling, brakes a bit noisy/grabby as was the case with previous batches. That said, I had 2 different 100's this week, can't remember what the first one was but it was already pretty rough. Rattles, steering pulled, ride was a bit rough. 2nd I had was 128 - beautiful bus except for the driver shield which even while open I have decided I hate. Even now these buses had problems though. Loose parts for the most part, backs falling off driver's seats. Left mirror arms were over-tightened from the factory too. There's also a design flaw on the drivers window where the handle to push it closed is mounted in the middle at the front of the window and often closing the window will cause the weather stripping to pinch and in no time the window doesn't close properly. 735-739 and the 100's all have this window handle position, and I can't remember a 700 of those series where this hasn't happened. 701-733 the handle is lower so all of those buses have the weather stripping intact. One other thing I noticed is that the windshield wipers seem to be low quality and wear out very fast.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...