AMTRAK Sleeper Service Thoughts

FLtransitPhotos

Hello all, Looking into taking Amtrak sleeper service both trips on the following routes soon:

Deland (DLD) to New York Penn (NYP)NYP to DLD.

Anyone have thoughts on the Viewliner Silver Service sleeper service?

My trip would consist as this: Deland (DLD) to New York Penn (NYP) / MTA LIRR Hungtinton Branch | Vice Versa

Noticed that the fare is more than triple (okay, quadruple) of the regular seat fare.

Is flying an option either way?  I see you're in between both Daytona Beach and Orlando, and wonder if a shorter ride into either city and maybe a public transit connection to the airport might be a little cheaper and less of a pita.

If you fly into JFK, you *could* use the AirTrain into Jamaica and connect to the LIRR instead of being pushed through Penn Station, which I don't personally like doing when Amtraking it into the city.

Also, nearly half of the time you're on the trip will be in darkness outside, depending on the dates traveled.

Just my opinion though.  That's an expensive hotel room for a day.

Additionally (moderators), can this thread be bumped to "General Railway Discussion" section?  I think it's a more appropriate location for the discussion.

1 hour ago, map.man (Darrin) said:

Noticed that the fare is more than triple (okay, quadruple) of the regular seat fare.

Is flying an option either way?  I see you're in between both Daytona Beach and Orlando, and wonder if a shorter ride into either city and maybe a public transit connection to the airport might be a little cheaper and less of a pita.

If you fly into JFK, you *could* use the AirTrain into Jamaica and connect to the LIRR instead of being pushed through Penn Station, which I don't personally like doing when Amtraking it into the city.

Also, nearly half of the time you're on the trip will be in darkness outside, depending on the dates traveled.

Just my opinion though.  That's an expensive hotel room for a day.

Additionally (moderators), can this thread be bumped to "General Railway Discussion" section?  I think it's a more appropriate location for the discussion.

I noticed that recently it went up. It used to be around $300 for roomette. 

Depends on the condition of the pandemic for flying.

I will also be traveling with someone who doesn't like to fly. 

This is only a emergency family trip.

10 hours ago, CATMAN MEDIA GROUP said:

I noticed that recently it went up. It used to be around $300 for roomette. 

Depends on the condition of the pandemic for flying.

I will also be traveling with someone who doesn't like to fly. 

This is only a emergency family trip.

Ahhh....that proves a different situation, instead of pleasure.

Roomettes are quite the expensive part though.  Can find lodging in Manhattan for less money a night.