'MCI FOR 2010'

Mr. Linsky

Thanks to Q65A of BusTalk for the following URL that boasts MCI's entries into the 2010 marketplace.

My remarks also follow.

http://www.mcicoach.com/fyiFromMci/story/0809.htm

Nice review of what we can expect from MCI in the new year - I really don't understand though how they can improve upon what is already the best bus on the road - but that's what they said about the GM Old Looks upon the arrival of the GM New Looks!

One item that is of particular interest is the all electric air conditioning option that will allow operation without the engine running.

A good idea, but not a new one; Rolls Royce offered a similar package on their Phantom V Limousines of the 1960's (basically a GM Harrison unit attached to a second high energy battery that allowed operation for about one hour before recharge was necessary).

The feature was great for executives that opted to hold very private chats in the rear compartment while parked.

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

ROLLSROYCEPHANTOMV.jpg

I had the good fortune of being at Manhattan Rolls Royce sometime around 1960 having my grandmother's 'much cheaper' model serviced when I spotted a Phantom Five being readied for delivery to some New York notable.

Being as inquisitive as I am, I couldn't resist sashaying over to peak under the open bonnet while the mechanic was probably out to lunch.

The first thing that struck me was that the engine compartment looked just like that of a Cadillac with an overhead valve V-8, GM Saginaw Steering, GM Dual Range Hydra-Matic, GM automatic radio antenna and a GM Harrison Air Conditioning compressor - but this compressor was different as I learned later.

The mechanic, who then returned from his break, was nice enough to give me a 'Cook's Tour' of the working of this fine machine.

In an 'off the record' explanation, he said that so much of the car was GM because the British found those components to be the most reliable, and that England's technology was somewhat behind the times at least in auto accessories - they never believed in 'creature comforts' behind the wheel!

Anyway, the compressor was very interesting in that it had the ability to cool the interior with the engine off.

It was ingenious in that it was so simple; an electric motor was installed behind the compressor and attached to its shaft. When the chauffeur desired off engine operation he merely threw a dashboard toggle that disengaged the V belt pulley and clutch and then flipped another switch beside it to begin 'silent running'.

The car had an over-sized generator that kept two high capacity batteries in full charge with one to either side of the radiator.

The main load in the silent mode was the compressor itself and two barrel blowers located in the rear of the trunk - no cooling to the chauffeur's compartment was supplied in off engine configuration and a glass petition localized the system only to the passenger compartment.

Of the two hundred or so Phantom Fives that were built only a handful featured this option with one being found in Queens Elizabeth's private stable.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY