Calgary Transit route 6 'Killarney 26 Avenue'
|Calgary Transit route 6|
This route was originally served by streetcars. Tracks were first laid in the south along 12th from 1st St West and 17th Avenue from 2nd St East, with the two lines looping around on 14th Street West. By 1912, the Beltline Streetcar had developed four branch routes: the 12 Avenue line was extended to 18 Street and was known as the Sunalta Line (today a part of route 90), the 17 Avenue line was extended to 24 Street and became the Killarney line (today's routes 2 and 6), and a 3rd branch was introduced heading up the hill along 14 Street to 26 Avenue (Marda Loop) which became the 7.
By the end of the streetcar era, the line had been extended to 29th Street. the routing was now as follows:
West on 8 Ave to 8 Street. South on 8 Street to 17 Ave. West on 17 Ave to 29 St. South on 29th to 26 Ave. East on 26 Ave to 24 St. North on 24 Street to 17 Ave. East on 17 Ave to 1 St W. North on 1 St W to 8 Ave. Trams would then loop around as to stop in front of the CPR station at 9 Ave and Centre Street.
Trolleybuses were introduced on this line in 1949. In 1955, it was split into two separate routes. The 6 would head south on 24 Street to 26 Avenue, then along 26th until it reached a loop at 38 Street. The 2 would simply continue along 17 Avenue where the 6 no longer served. The 49 Street extension opened in 1960; the route was dieselized in 1967.