Ottawa-Carleton Regional Transit Commission Industrial Garage
OC Transpo Industrial Garage is a bus garage located at 735-775 Industrial Avenue in Ottawa, Ontario.
Industrial Garage was opened by OC Transpo in September 2010. It was conceived to support articulated bus operations but has the capability to service the rest of OC Transpo's standard length and double decker bus fleet.
Key features of the new garage:
- LEED Silver certified facility
- Steam extraction system for interior bus cleaning
- Bollards in the exterior parking area for power plugs to warm engines in the winter
- Security access code requirement for coaches returning from the end of service
- Sound wall running along Industrial Avenue to reduce sound pollution
- Separated dispatch facility providing parking instructions; coaches are not required to back-up
- Tailpipe exhaust collection system
- Back-up power generators for emergency power supplies
- 25 60-foot bus lanes, 3 of which are indoors, 5 double decker bus lanes
- 2 inspection pits
- 17 60-foot hoists
- 2 countdown lanes (1 of them capable of serving double deckers)
Originally the site which the garage is located on, was a snow dump operated by the former Regional Municipality of Ottawa-Carleton, which was inherited by the City of Ottawa during amalgamation. It was originally intended to continue to operate as a snow dump until City Council reviewed the snow disposal facilities of the new amalgamated City of Ottawa. When the Snow Disposal Facilities (SDFs) were reviewed, in the urban area, Industrial SDF and Bayview SDF was identified as future closures. The Michael SDF (located on Michael Street, just a short distance away from the Industrial SDF) has a capacity of 1,100,000 m3 compared to the Industrial SDF which had a capacity of 155,000 m3. Therefore Industrial SDF was deemed unnecessary to future operations.
In 2007, Industrial SDF was reported as being closed, and was being reserved for "future OC Transpo Garage Expansion".