Maschinenfabrik Augsburg-Nürnberg SG 220
|MAN SG 220|
|Years of manufacture||1978 to 1983|
|Length||16.5 or 18 metres|
The Maschinenfabrik Augsburg-Nürnberg SG 220 was an articulated transit bus built from 1978 to 1983. It was available in 16.5 or 18 metre lengths and had a horizontal diesel engine mounted under the floor in the front section.
Use in the United States
A consortium of ten transit agencies in the United States awarded AM General a contract for 234 articulated buses. AM General, the only manufacturer to submit a bid, had partnered with MAN to produce the buses. They were built in West Germany and assembled in the United States from 1978 to 1979.
|Model number||Length||Number of doors|
- AC Transit - Alameda & Contra Costa County, CA
- Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS) - Charlotte, NC
- Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) - Chicago, IL
- Golden Gate Transit - San Francisco Bay Area, CA
- King County Metro (KCM) - Seattle, WA
- Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) - Atlanta, GA
- Minneapolis-St. Paul Metro Transit (Metro) - Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
- Port Authority of Allegheny County - Pittsburgh, PA
- San Diego Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) - San Diego, CA
- Southern California Rapid Transit District (SCRTD) - Los Angeles, CA
- Valley Metro - Phoenix, AZ
- Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (Metrobus) - Washington, DC
- "Momentum for new bus fleet speeds up." Transit Times. September 1976: 6-7. Web.