York Region Transit route 8 'Kennedy'
|Number of Branches||1|
|Types of buses used||New Flyer D40LF/D40LFR , New Flyer XD40 , Nova Bus LFS|
8 Kennedy is a local bus route operated by York Region Transit in Markham, Ontario, Canada.
Route 8 mainly serves Kennedy Road between Steeles Avenue East and Major Mackenzie Drive East.
This route serves the Milliken Mills West, Unionville, and Berczy communities. It also serves Milliken Mills High School, Milliken Mills Community Centre, Milliken Mills Library, Unionville GO Station, Bill Crothers Secondary School, and Pierre Elliott Trudeau High School.
Route 8 connects to Viva Pink at Unionville GO Station, and Viva Green and Viva Purple at Rivis Rd. and Highway 7. A small portion of the route is shared with Viva Purple and Viva Green, between Rivis Road and Highway 7.
This route has 1 branch:
- 8 Steeles Avenue - Major Mackenzie
The first service along Kennedy Road was provided by Markham Transit route 4, which operated on Kennedy between Steeles Avenue East and Unionville Gate, and on Main Street Unionville north to Carlton Road. This was replaced by the rush-hour TTC route 43C by the late 1980s. Buses traveled north on Kennedy Road to Unionville Gate then operated north on Main Street Unionville to Highway 7, east to Kennedy Road, north to 16th Avenue, and east on 16th Avenue to an off-street loop at McCowan Road and 16th Avenue. Markham Transit took over operation of this route in January 1998 as their route 8, and extended it north to an on-street loop at Angus Glen Boulevard.
- 2001 - YRT took over this service and expanded the looping to William Berczy Boulevard and Major Mackenzie Drive.
- 2004 - Service was realigned off of Main Street Unionville and through Unionville GO Station when the new location was opened in 2004.
- November 2008 - Select trips were extended to Angus Glen Community Centre, due to student requests to have a transfer-free connection from Kennedy to Angus Glen. This service was removed later in 2010 due to low ridership.
- September 2010 - Route 8 was declared fully accessible.
- April 19, 2015 - The southbound service diversion via The Fairways, Prospectors Drive, and Angus Glen Boulevard was removed due to low ridership in that section and to provide a better grid network for passengers travelling along Kennedy Road.
- January 5, 2020 - The northbound routing is extended to operate via south on Kennedy Road, west on Schoolhouse Road, north and west on Colty Drive, and north on Prospector's Drive.
|Steeles Ave. @ Kennedy Rd.||8||Southern terminus. Connection to route 203.|
|Kennedy Rd. @ Denison St.||8||Connection to routes 2, 203.|
|Unionville GO Station||8||Connection to Viva Pink and routes 42, 202, 204.|
|Kennedy Rd. @ Highway 7||8||Connections to Viva Green, Viva Purple, and routes 1, 304.|
|Kennedy Rd. @ 16th Avenue||8||Connection to route 16.|
|Kennedy Rd. @ Bur Oak Ave.||8||Connection to route 18.|
|Prospector's Dr. @ Major Mackenzie Dr.||8||Northern terminus. Connection to routes 18, 25.|
|AM Peak||Midday||PM Peak||Early Evening||Late Evening||Early AM||Day||Evening||Early AM||Day||Evening|