York Region Transit route 88 'Bathurst'
|Number of Branches||1|
|Types of buses used||New Flyer D40LF/R , Van Hool A330 , New Flyer XD40 , Nova Bus LFS|
88 Bathurst is a base route operated by YRT in King, Richmond Hill, Vaughan, and Toronto, ON.
Routes 88 serve mainly Bathurst St. between Elgin Mills Rd. and Steeles Ave. Route 88 also serves Bathurst St. north to Bloomington Rd./15th Sdrd.
These routes combined serve the Oak Ridges, Inspiration, Mill Pond, Thornhill Woods, and Thornhill communities. They also serve St. Theresa of Lisieux Catholic High School, Lebovic Leisure Centre, Westmount Collegiate Institute, Vaughan City Playhouse, Promenade Terminal, and Centerpoint Mall.
This route has 1 branch:
Service among Bathurst St. first operated in the form of Richmond Hill Transit route 8. It ran from Promenade Terminal to Bernard Terminal via Elgin Mills. When YRT took over operations from Richmond Hill Transit, it renumbered it to route 88 and extended it north to Seneca King during peak periods to serve the student demand.
- 2003 - Route 88 was extended southwards to Finch Station via Bathurst, Steeles and Yonge. Some peak trips were rerouted via Clark and Hilda Ave. to Steeles a year later.
- January 2005 - Full weekday service to Seneca King commenced.
- September 2005 - Route 23 was introduced, replacing service on Hilda Ave.
- November 16, 2008 Route 88E was introduced, following the same routing as route 88 with limited stops at Elgin Mills, Major Mackenzie, Rutherford/Carrville, Promenade Terminal, Steeles, and Yonge.
- September 6, 2009 Route 88A was introduced, operating between Finch Station and Elgin West Community Centre located at Bathurst and Shaftsbury. Despite the introduction, this branch has been in service since 2003, though simply only known as route 88. This branch only operates during Sundays and Holidays.
- February 2012 - Route 88E was declared fully accessible.
- December 2012 - Routes 88 and 88A was declared fully accessible.
- February 24, 2014 - Route 88E was discontinued, and all the limited stop trips were converted to regular route 88 trips.
- June 2016 - The 2016 Annual Service Plan proposed that provide Sunday service to Seneca King, eliminating the 88A branch.
- 2019 - A new branch 88B was proposed, extending service north to Newmarket via Newmarket GO Bus Terminal during rush hours.
|Seneca College King Campus||88|
|Bathurst St. @ Elgin Mills Rd.||88|
|Bathurst St. @ Rutherford Rd.||88|
|Bathurst St. @ Steeles Ave.||88|
|Finch GO Bus Terminal||88|
|Seneca College King Campus||88E|
|Elgin West Community Centre||88A|
|Bathurst St. @ Elgin Mills Rd.||88||88A||88E|
|Bathurst St. @ Major Mackenzie Dr.||88||88A||88E|
|Bathurst St. @ Highway 7||88||88A||88E|
|Bathurst St. @ Steeles Ave.||88A||88E|
|Finch GO Bus Terminal||88A||88E|
|AM Peak||Midday||PM Peak||Early Evening||Late Evening||Early AM||Day||Evening||Early AM||Day||Evening|