York Region Transit route 22 'King City'
|Number of Branches||1|
|Types of buses used||E-Z Rider II/BRT/MAX , New Flyer D40LF|
|Related routes||96, 98|
22 King City is a local and "small community" route operated by YRT in Newmarket, Aurora, King City, Vaughan, and Toronto, ON.
Routes 22 and 22A combined mainly serve Yonge St. between Davis Dr. and King Rd., King Rd. between Yonge St. and Keele St., and Keele St. between King Rd. and Steeles Ave. Route 22 also serves Bloomington Rd. and 15th Sdrd. between Dufferin St. and Yonge St.
This routes serve the Oak Ridges, King City, and Maple, communities. It also serves Cardinal Carter Catholic High School, Oak Ridges Moraine Library, Bond Lake Arena, King City Secondary School, Township of King Municipal Offices, King City Arena, King City GO Station, St. Joan of Arc Catholic High School, Maple Community Centre, and Maple GO Station.
This route has 1 branch:
- 2004 - YRT started expanding service to smaller communities that did not yet have access to public transit, other than GO Transit. Before, it's main focus was maintaining and increasing service operated by the former agencies it had acquired, and communities that did not have service before amalgamation largely went unnoticed. One such community, King City, was growing, and now needed required transit service into the community.
- September 2005 - Service started on route 22, bringing service to the 2 major streets in King City: Keele St. and King Rd. It also provided a link to Viva, Maple, Oak Ridges, and Seneca King and Cardinal Carter Catholic High for students. Service operated 6 days a week from the beginning of service.
- September 2008 - One morning and one afternoon trip was extended to Villanova College at Sideroad 15 and Keele St.
- November 6, 2008 - Route 22 was indirectly affected by the York University strike between November 6, 2008 and January 29, 2009 due to a high proportion of riders living along the route who commute to York University.
- September 2010 - Due to GO Transit cancelling service on route 64 between Newmarket and York University, route 22A was created to fill in service. Service started weekdays with 9 northbound trips and 9 southbound trips. Unlike the previous GO route 64, route 22A did not divert into Rutherford GO Station.
- September 2012 - Due to further service increases for route 22A, route 22 was cut back to rush hour and Saturday service only.
- December 2012 - Routes 22 and 22A were declared fully accessible.
- July 2, 2013 - The 2013 Annual Service Plan had route 22 diverting via Vista Gate, Ravineview Blvd., and Kirby Rd. during rush hours to replace discontinued route 107F and provide more route 22A service during rush hours. It was eventually modified to have route 22A divert instead during rush hours.
- December 2017 - With the opening of the Line 1 subway extension to Vaughan, route 22A was renumbered to route 96 Keele-Yonge. Route 22 service to St Thomas of Villanova College was also discontinued on this date.
- April 5, 2020 - Due to low ridership, Saturday service is discontinued and weekday service is temporarily suspended.
|Seneca College King Campus||22||Northern terminus. Connections to routes 32, 88.|
|Bloomington Rd. @ Bathurst St.||22||Connection to route 88.|
|Bloomington Rd. @ Yonge St.||22||Connections to Viva Blue/Blue A and routes 84, 98/98E.|
|King Rd. @ Yonge St.||22||Connections to Viva Blue/Blue A and routes 84, 91B, and 98/98E.|
|King St. @ Bathurst St.||22||Connection to route 88.|
|King City Secondary School||22|
|King City GO Station||22||Connections to route 61.|
|Maple GO Station||22||Southern terminus. Connection to route 107.|
|Newmarket GO Bus Terminal||22A||22A|
|Yonge St. @ Murray Dr.||22A||22A|
|St. Thomas of Villanova College||22|
|Seneca College King Campus||22||22|
|Bloomington St. @ Bathurst St.||22||22|
|Bloomington St. @ Yonge St.||22||22||22A||22A|
|King Rd. @ Yonge St.||22||22||22A||22A|
|Kingshill Rd. @ Bathurst St.||22||22|
|King Rd. @ Bathurst St.||22||22||22A||22A|
|King City Secondary School||22||22||22A||22A|
|King City GO Station||22||22||22A||22A|
|Ravineview Dr. @ Kirby Rd.||22A|
|Maple GO Station||22|
|Maple Community Centre||22|
|Keele St. @ Major Mackenzie Dr.||22A||22A|
|Keele St. @ Rutherford Rd.||22A||22A|
|AM Peak||Midday||PM Peak||Early Evening||Late Evening||Early AM||Day||Evening||Early AM||Day||Evening|
|Apr 2020-Present||22||Temporarilly Suspended|