York Region Transit route 129A 'McCowan North'
|Number of Branches||1|
|Types of buses used||Orion VII NG HEV , Orion VII HEV , Nova Bus LFS Artic|
For detailed information about service south of Steeles, see the TTC route history for 129 McCowan North.
Route 129A serves McCowan Road between Steeles Avenue East and Major Mackenzie Drive.
This route has 1 branch:
- 129A Scarborough Centre Station - Major Mackenzie
This route serves the Milliken, South Unionville, and Berczy communities. It also serves Father Michael McGivney Catholic Academy, Markville Mall, Centennial Community Centre, Centennial GO Station, and Markville Secondary School.
Service was contracted out to the Toronto Transit Commission by Markham Transit. This involved TTC operating the buses and collecting the fares, but Markham Transit paying for any losses in running the service. A TTC fare was required for passengers travelling south of Steeles Avenue East, but only a Markham fare was required if the entire trip was north of Steeles Avenue. When Markham Transit was acquired by York Region Transit, the contract was picked up as well, with similar conditions.
Service north of Steeles Avenue East first operated in 1987 to 16th Avenue. During that time, 16th Avenue was at the edge of the City of Markham. An off-street loop was available for use (and also being used by route 43C), but buses instead looped via 16th Avenue, Cairns Drive, and Raymerville Drive. Service started operating 6 days a week including late evening service — a rarity.
With additional development occurring further north on McCowan Road, buses were extended north on McCowan Road to Major Mackenzie Drive. Buses looped via Major Mackenzie Drive, Ridgecrest Road, Castlemore Avenue, and The Bridle Walk. This extension happened on October 14, 2001. Operations have been mostly stable since, with service being increased to 7 days a week.
Route 129A was declared fully accessible in February 2012. 129A began using articulated buses on weekdays in mid-2014.
- Scarborough Centre Station: Southern terminus.
- Steeles Avenue East: Start/end of York Region fare zone.
- 14th Avenue: Connection to route 14 14th Avenue.
- Highway 7: Connections to Viva Green, Viva Purple and routes 1 Highway 7, 40 Unionville Local, 41 Markham Local, 42 Berczy, 45 Mingay, 301 Markham Express, 304 Mount Joy Express, and 522 Markham Community Bus.
- 16th Avenue: Connections to route 16 16th Avenue and 304 Mount Joy Express.
- Major Mackenzie Drive: Connection to route 25 Major Mackenzie.
- Castlemore Avenue/The Bridle Walk: Northern terminus. Connection to route 42 Berczy and 204 Berczy GO Shuttle.
|Morning Peak||Midday||Afternoon Peak||Early Evening||Late Evening||Early Morning||Morning||Afternoon||Early Evening||Late Evening||Early Morning||Morning||Afternoon||Early Evening||Late Evening|
|129A||13:30||28||17||24||40||27||28||40||Not operated.||50||45||40||Not operated.|