West Vancouver Municipal Transit route 258 'UBC / West Vancouver'
Effective March 17, 2020, this Blue Bus route is temporarily suspended until further notice due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
|Service Area||University Endowment Lands|
|Termini||University of British Columbia|
Homer Street at W. Georgia Street
|Operations||West Vancouver Transit|
|Vehicles||NFI XD40 |
Nova Bus LFS
|Branches||258 To UBC Express|
258 West Vancouver Express
This is a north-south express route connecting West Vancouver and the University of British Columbia. Service runs on weekdays only from September to April when UBC is in session. Morning service runs towards UBC and afternoon service towards West Vancouver. There are seven trips in the morning and three in the afternoon. Local service is provided in West Vancouver and express service in Vancouver and UBC.
Southbound trips depart Marine Drive & 25th Street in West Vancouver heading east on Marine Drive, then south across the Lions Gate Bridge into Downtown Vancouver followed by Stanley Park Causeway, West Georgia Street until Burrard Street, then south along Burrard across the Burrard Street Bridge onto Cornwall Avenue, Point Grey Road and then Macdonald Street. From Macdonald, the route turns west onto 4th Avenue, Blanca Street and then University Boulevard to UBC Exchange where it terminates.
Northbound trips depart UBC Exchange taking University Boulevard, Blanca Street northbound onto 4th Avenue all the way to Burrard Street where it heads north into Downtown Vancouver and turns left at W. Georgia Street and across the Lions Gate Bridge, west on Marine Drive to Marine Drive at 25th Street in West Vancouver.
Some UBC-bound trips start at Marine Drive & 17th Street, running two minutes ahead of trips that started at Marine Drive & 25th Street.
|258 Express Stops|
|The 258 has special stopping procedures based on the direction of travel. Service towards UBC operates as a local service doing pick-up and drop-off at all stops between Dundarave at Marine Drive & 25th Street and Park Royal. From Park Royal, the 258 is non-stop and does unloading only at all stops on University Boulevard. Service towards West Vancouver is pick-up only at all stops along University Boulevard then goes non-stop direct to West Vancouver.|
Points of Interest
- Park Royal (Bay 5 – UBC)
- Park Royal Shopping Centre
- St. Paul's Hospital (Westbound)
- Pacific Spirit Regional Park
- UBC Exchange (Bay 13)
- September 1986 - AM peak routing revised to go via the Burrard Street Bridge to UBC and an additional PM trip leaving UBC at 5:36 p.m. introduced
- February 1999 - Due to bus traffic congestion at UBC, service revised to operate out of Bay 1 instead of 7
- August 2014 - UBC terminus moved onto Wesbrook Mall due to UBC Aquatic Centre construction work and bus loop reconstruction
- November 2015 - Service proposed to be discontinued due to service duplication and high operational expenses
- March 2016 - Service cancellation reverted following public consultations and opposition by UBC students
- March 2017 - UBC terminus moved from Wesbrook Mall onto University Boulevard
- November 2019 - Northbound service revised to operate non-stop in Downtown Vancouver instead of doing local service as a 250A and routing changed from Granville Street to Burrard Street
- March 2020 - Service temporarily cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- The Buzzer August 29, 1986 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 09-05-2021
- The Buzzer February 19, 1999 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 03-05-2020
- The Buzzer August 22, 2014 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 27-05-2020
- 2015 Transit Network Consultation translink.ca, archived on Web Archive, retrieved 31-05-2021
- TransLink Transit Alerts translink.ca, archived on Web Archive, retrieved 19-02-2021
|Facilities||Park Royal – West Vancouver Transit Centre|
|Current Fleet||701–706 901–909 1201–1217 1601–1605 1606–1614|
|Community Shuttle Fleet||17501–17505 18501–18509 19501–19502, 19536–19537|
|712–714 801–803 912–914 921–929 951–959, 961–968 971 981 990–998 S200 S201 S261 S305 S370 S1301–S1304, S1308, S1309, S1316–S1320|
|Conventional||250 250A 253 254 255 258|
|Community Shuttle||214 215 227 251 252 256 262|
|Other||Cemetery – Vancouver Special Events Bus|
|Former Routes||257 259 – Hockey Special – PNE Special|