Washago VIA Rail station
|Address||3321 Quetton Street|
Washago, Ontario, Canada
|Type of Station||Unstaffed station|
Washago VIA Station is a train station operated by VIA Rail Canada in the town of Washago, ON. It is located on the east side of Quetton Street just south of Simcoe County Road 169.
The original station building in Washago was built by the Grand Trunk Railway in 1890. Between 1905 and 1906, the Canadian Northern Railway, a separate railway company, built a second station building. After the merge of Canadian Northern Railway into Canadian National Railway, CN Rail closed the existing Canadian Northern Railway station building in 1921. The new station building, at its present location, opened in 1922.
The station features a single curved platform on the north side of the single track and situated just east of the railroad crossing for Quetton Street. The station also features two station buildings. The original station building built in 1922 is owned by CN Rail and is exclusively used by CN staff for maintenance operations and the storage of equipment.
There is no formal parking spots on the station property. The unstaffed VIA Rail station building is a waiting room and sits next to the CN Rail building. All ticket purchases are made on the train. For a stop at this station, reservations for eastbound service to Toronto must be made 40 minutes prior to train departure from Capreol VIA Station and reservations for westbound service to Vancouver must be made 40 minutes prior to train departure from Toronto Union Station.
Washago Station is served by VIA Rail's Canadian. The station was formerly served by Ontario Northland's The Northlander, which provided train service between Toronto Union Station and Cochrane, Ontario.
- Ontario Railway Stations - Washago, canada-rail.com. Retrieved 24 March 2020.