Translink UBC Exchange
|Location||University Endowment Lands|
University of British Columbia
|Operators||Coast Mountain Bus Company|
University of British Columbia
|Bus routes||4, , 14, 25, 33, ,, |
49, 68, 84, , , ,
|Park and Ride||No|
|Opening date||September 1945|
September 6, 1983
March 6, 2017
|Previous names||UBC Loop|
UBC Exchange (formerly known as UBC Loop) is a transit exchange operated by Coast Mountain Bus Company in Metro Vancouver, BC Canada. It is located on Wesbrook Mall between Student Union Boulevard and University Boulevard.
UBC Exchange is located in the University Endowment Lands (UEL) west of the City of Vancouver. It serves as the major transit hub for students and faculty attending the University of British Columbia.
Initial plans for redeveloping UBC Exchange included an underground transit exchange beside MacInnes Field east of the UBC Life Building. The lack of funding has put the initiative on hold. However, the university's continued development of Wesbrook Mall forced the movement of the current trolley loop.
As part of TransLink's Next Bus Digital Screen Pilot, real-time information screens and backlit bus stop signs were stalled at all stops inside the main exchange in December 2021. These new screens include text-to-speech audio for the visually impaired and full-colour LCD screens displaying a variety of transit information. This also includes the installation of a central information board with the next bus departures. UBC Exchange is the first bus exchange in the network to have these next-bus screens installed. TransLink plans on gathering feedback and evaluating the use of these screens throughout 2022 before expanding their use to other high-frequency bus exchanges in the network.
Buses at UBC are spread across two loops. The main bus loop is located on Wesbrook Mall between Student Union Boulevard and University Boulevard and the trolley loop on University Boulevard. Prior to the demolition of the main bus loop, all services met in a single facility. However, since 2003 and 2004, the university had been served by a series of temporary loops. The temporary loops were made to make room for plans for an underground bus loop that was ultimately abandoned. Presently, a new loop has been constructed immediately south of the "north loop" on Wesbrook Mall, with the temporary "south loop" being the permanent terminus of trolley services on University Boulevard.
The two loops together serve 7 conventional, 3 trolleybus, 1 Nightbus, 1 RapidBus, 1 B-Line, and 1 Community Shuttle route as well as having a designated HandyDart bay in the trolley loop.
Opened on March 6, 2017, this loop replaced the former loop located south of Student Union Boulevard to make way for construction. Bays 1 to 7 load inside the loop and Bay 8 loads on Wesbrook Mall.
Initially, when the new exchange opened, there were only three lanes of general layover parking area in the middle of the loop reserved for the 25, 33, 41, 43, 49, and 99. Bus bays in the southern half of the loop were later dedicated to 99 layovers only. On April 15, 2019, additional layover and unloading bays opened next to and underneath the Exchange Residence, reserved for the 44, 68, 70, 84, and 480 and later opened up to all buses on June 3.
UBC Exchange – Unloading Only
- Unloading Only
Opened in 2004, the loop on University Boulevard initially served as a temporary terminus for trolley services following the closure of the former UBC Loop until a permanent terminus opened. For a while, it was commonly referred to as "War Memorial Loop". To make way for various construction along University Boulevard, the War Memorial Loop transitioned to the current on-street boarding configuration, opening on August 28, 2012. There are currently no plans to merge both the trolley and diesel bus exchanges together.
- 9 Boundary
|Bus Exchange Icons Legend|
|SkyTrain Bus Bridge service boards at this bay|
|HandyDART service at this bay|
|West Vancouver Transit service at this bay|
|RapidBus service at this bay|
|99 B-Line service at this bay|
|NightBus service at this bay|
|Bus Stop||Bus Stop ID number|
(for stops without bay numbers)
- University of British Columbia
- Student Union Building
- War Memorial Gym
- Aquatic Centre
- Recreation Centre
- Prior to September 1983 - Streetside boarding along East Mall
- September 1983 - Bus loop opens, located east of East Mall on University Boulevard
- September 1988 - Trolley service introduced
- July 2004 - Bus loop closes and moves to Student Union Blvd. & Wesbrook Mall; trolley overhead construction for the trolley loop requires that all trolley operations terminate at Blanca Loop with connecting UBC service provided by diesel buses until trolley wire infrastructure is extended
- September 2010 - Bus bays reorganized with the introduction of articulated bus service on route 49 Metrotown Station/UBC
- March 2017 - Bus loop reorganized to street boarding and inside the new bus loop to make way for demolition of bus loop at Wesbrook Mall and Student Union Blvd.
- April 2018 - North layover area underneath Gage South Student Residence completed and Student Union Boulevard services moved into loop
- December 2021 - Installation of next-bus screens in the main exchange, making UBC Exchange the first in the network to have them installed as part of a pilot project
- TransLink Installs Next-Bus Screens At UBC Exchange The Buzzer, retrieved 10-12-2021
- The Buzzer August 31, 2012 Issue,translink.ca, retrieved, 12-01-2022
- The Buzzer September 2, 1983 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 26-04-2020
- The Buzzer September 23, 1988 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 26-04-2020
- The Buzzer June 25, 2004 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 25-03-2010
- Fall Service Changes begin September 6, 2010, translink.ca, retrieved 27-08-2010