Translink UBC Exchange
|Location||University Endowment Lands|
University of British Columbia
|Operator||Coast Mountain Bus Company|
University of British Columbia
|Bus Routes||4, 9, 14, 25, 33, 41, 43, 44,|
49, 68, 70, 84, , 258, 480,
|B-Line Connection||99 B-Line|
|Park and Ride||No|
|Opening Date||September 1945|
|Rebuilt||September 5, 1988|
March 6, 2017
|Previous Names||UBC Loop|
UBC Exchange (formerly known as UBC Loop) is a transit exchange operated by Coast Mountain Bus Company in Metro Vancouver, BC Canada. It is located on Wesbrook Mall between Student Union Boulevard and University Boulevard.
UBC Exchange is located in the University Endowment Lands (UEL) west of the City of Vancouver. It serves as the major transit hub for students attending the University of British Columbia.
Facilities were built as a temporary measure while waiting for the necessary funding to construct an underground transit exchange beside the open grass space east of the Student Union Building (SUB). The lack of funding has put the initiative on hold. However, the university's continued development of Wesbrook Mall forced the movement of the current temporary trolley loop.
The bus loop boasts facilities for conventional, articulated and trolley buses as well as Community Shuttles. The exchange is served by 16 rapid transit, conventional bus and Community Shuttle routes.
Buses at UBC are spread across two loops. The main bus loop is located on Wesbrook Mall between Student Union Boulevard and University Boulevard and the trolley loop on University Boulevard. Prior to the demolition of the main bus loop, all services met in a single facility. However, since 2003 and 2004, the university has been served by a series of temporary loops. The temporary loops initially were made to make room for plans for an underground bus loop that was ultimately abandoned. Presently, a new loop has been constructed immediately south of the "north loop" on Wesbrook Mall, with the temporary "south loop" being the permanent terminus of trolley services on University Boulevard.
Opened on March 6, 2017, this loop replaced the former loop located south of Student Union Boulevard to make way for construction. At the moment, the bus loop is used as a layover area until proper layover areas are constructed at the former bus loop. Bays 1 to 4 load inside the loop and Bays 5 to 9 load on Wesbrook Mall.
There are three lanes of general layover parking area in the middle of the loop. The south half of the bus loop are reserved for 99 B-Line layovers. On April 15, 2019, additional layover and unloading bays opened next to and underneath the South Gage Student Residence.
Opened in 2004, the loop on University Boulevard served as a temporary terminus for trolley services following the closure of the former UBC Loop until a permanent terminus opened. For a while, it was commonly referred to as "War Memorial Loop". To make way for various construction along University Boulevard, the temporary War Memorial Loop was moved to on-street boarding. The temporary on-street arrangement of the temporary loop became the permanent arrangement as there are presently no plans to move the trolley terminus or to reintegrate trolleys with the main bus loop.
- 9 Boundary
Peak hours only when school is in session
- 258 West Vancouver
PM peak hours only when school is in session
|Bus Exchange Icons Legend|
|SkyTrain Bus Bridge service boards at this bay|
|HandyDART service at this bay|
|B-Line service at this bay|
|NightBus service at this bay|
|Bus Stop||Bus Stop ID number|
(for stops without bay numbers)
- University of British Columbia
- Student Union Building
- War Memorial Gym
- Aquatic Centre
- Recreation Centre
- Prior to September 1988 - Bus routes terminated along Main Mall
- September 1998 - Bus loop opens
- July 2004 - Bus loop closes and moves to Student Union Blvd. & Wesbrook Mall; trolley overhead construction for the trolley loop requirews that all trolley operations terminate at Blanca Loop with connecting UBC service provided by diesel buses until trolley wire infrastructure is extended
- September 2010 - Bus bays reorganized with the introduction of articulated bus service on route 49 Metrotown Station/UBC
- March 2017 - Bus loop reorganized to street boarding and inside the new bus loop to make way for demolition of bus loop at Wesbrook Mall and Student Union Blvd.
- April 2018 - North layover area underneath Gage South Student Residence completed and Student Union Boulevard services moved into loop
- The Buzzer June 25, 2004 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 25-03-2010
- Fall Service Changes begin September 6, 2010, translink.ca, retrieved 27-08-2010