Toronto Transit Commission 4600-4618

From CPTDB Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Toronto Transit Commission 4600-4618 were 1951 CC&F PCC A-15 class streetcars that were rebuilt in-house by the TTC between 1987 and 1992 from the A-8 class cars, 4500-4549.

In 1984, facing an increase in ridership and the opening of the new 604 Harbourfront line, the TTC decided to embark on a study of rebuilding their newest delivered PCCs; rebuilding them into "as-new" condition. In February 1985, the TTC submitted inquiries to the Urban Transportation Development Corporation (UTDC), Ontario Bus Industries (OBI), and Garrett Railroad Car and Equipment. OBI's price would be the lowest. In August, the TTC voted to investigate the feasibility of having a PCC car rebuilt by an outside party. Bids were solicited from OBI and UTDC, with UTDC coming in as the lowest.

In February 1986, approval was given for UTDC to rebuild 4512 at a cost of $431,317. Harvey Shop was tasked with rebuilding 4505 for under $500,000 as a cost comparison (all later rebuilds would be done by the TTC). The cars would incorporate more modern features which included a CLRV-like interior and exterior livery. The cars also received remanufactured parts, floor heating, and improved operator's area. It was later decided that the PCCs would retain their original wine red and cream livery, and future rebuilds were outshopped in this scheme. Cars 4505 and 4512 (now 4600 and 4601) were repainted in 1992.

Two A-8 cars, 4500 and 4549 were rebuilt as close to their as-delivered condition with the exception of minor details. The cars also kept their original numbers, although were assigned A-15 numbers 4604 and 4605 respectively. The cars were given back their two tone blue interior paneling and seats were reupholstered in deep red vinyl. They were used on the Tour Tram service, replacing Peter Witt cars 2424 and 2766. The two PCCs are still on the TTC's roster today, providing special charters and regular service on the weekend during the summer season.

The TTC Commission ended the A-15 rebuilding program on August 21, 1991, after a motion was passed requiring all new vehicles to be wheelchair accessible. The last car, 4618, was outshopped March 31, 1992. Regular scheduled PCC service officially ended December 8, 1995, with 4611 on a 506 short-turn to Queen and Roncesvalles. All operable cars were shifted to be stored at Wychwood Yard by the end of January 1996. Besides 4500 and 4549 which remain on TTC property, all other A-15 class cars have been preserved at various rail museums across North America.[1]

Units Built Motor Seating Destination sign
4600-4603, 4606-4618 1951 Westinghouse 1432 46 Otaco Innovator 850 Rollsign
4500, 4549 46 benches

Details

Fleet number
(origninal number)
Thumbnail Date (rebuilt) Serial Division Status/Disposal Notes
4600 (4505) Toronto Transit Commission 4600-a.jpg 1951 (1986) Retired

Donated to Halton County Radial Railway, Ontario.

  • Initially featured CLRV-like red and white livery
4601 (4512) 1951 (1987) Retired
  • Donated to Michigan Transit Museum, Michigan.
  • Now owned by private owner in St. Clair Township, MI.
  • Initially featured CLRV-like red and white livery
4602 (4537) 1951 (1989) Retired
  • Donated to Trolleyville, Ohio.
  • Now owned by National Capital Trolley Museum, Maryland.
4603 (4548) 1951 (1989) Retired

Donated to National Capital Trolley Museum, Maryland.

4500 Toronto Transit Commission 4500-a.jpg 1951 (1989) Active
  • Assigned fleet number 4604.
  • Was used for service on the 509 Harbourfront in summer 2016
4549 Toronto Transit Commission 4549-a.jpg 1951 (1989) Active
  • Assigned fleet number 4605.
  • Was used for service on the 509 Harbourfront in summer 2016
4606 (4528) Toronto Transit Commission 4606-a.jpg 1951 (1989) Retired

Donated to Kenosha Transit.

4607 (4536) 1951 (1990) Retired

Donated to Phoenix Transit System, Arizona.

4608 (4524) 1951 (1990) Retired

Donated to Old Pueblo Trolley, Arizona.

4609 (4526) 1951 (1990) Retired

Donated to Kenosha Transit.

4610 (4541) 1951 (1990) Retired

Donated to Kenosha Transit.

4611 (4540) 1951 (1990) Retired

Donated to Halton County Radial Railway, Ontario.

4612 (4543) 1951 (1990) Retired

Donated to Edmonton Radial Railway Society, Alberta.

4613 (4503) 1951 (1991) Retired

Donated to McKinney Avenue Transit Authority.

4614 (4509) 1951 (1991) Retired

Donated to McKinney Avenue Transit Authority.

4615 (4518) 1951 (1991) Retired

Donated to Kenosha Transit.

4616 (4515) 1951 (1991) Retired

Donated to Kenosha Transit.

4617 (4539) 1951 (1992) Retired
  • Donated to East Troy Electric Railway Museum, Wisconsin.
  • Now owned by Kenosha Transit.
4618 (4501) Halton County Radial Railway 4618-a.jpg 1951 (1992) Retired

Donated to Halton County Radial Railway.

References

  • TTC PCC pamphlet (August 1991)


Toronto Transit Commission active fleet
v·d·e
Buses
Low Floor Diesel 3100-3369, 7900-7979, 8000-8099, 8100-8219, 8300-8334, 8335-8396, 8400-8504, 8510-8617, 8620-8716, 8720-8964, 9200-9239
Low Floor Hybrid 1000-1149, 1200-1423, 1500-1689, 1700-1829, 3400-3654
Low Floor Articulated 9000-9026, 9027-9152
Low Floor Electric 3700-3724, 3725-3749, 3750-3759
Other TTC1, W100-W209, W210-W214, W215-W300, W500-W519, W520-W579, W580-W627
Rail Vehicles
Streetcars 2766, 4000-4005, 4010-4199, 4207, 4400-4603, 4500, 4549
Rapid Transit 3000-3027, 5000-5371, 5381-6136, 6141-6196, 6200-6275 edit