Thomas Built Buses Saf-T-Liner EF
|Thomas Built Buses Saf-T-Liner EF|
|Years of manufacture||1991 to 2012|
The Thomas Built Buses Saf-T-Liner EF, previously known as the Saf-T-Liner MVP-EF, is a front-engined Type-D school bus. It was marketed as a blend of capacity, ease of servicing, and affordability. In 2011, Thomas introduced its successor, the Saf-T-Liner EFX which soon replaced the Saf-T-Liner EF for the 2012-model year.
Thomas exported their EF chassis to Columbia through Daimler in 2011 for use by local body manufacturers to build on. The model is known as the EF 1723 and meets Euro 4 emissions. Marcopolo has bodied an example for the SITP in Bogotá.
Like previous transit-style, flat front school buses, the Saf-T-Liner MVP-EF offered better visibility, while the front engine position made it more economical. The bus, introduced in 1991, had a lower cut windshield and improved driver's area over the Saf-T-Liner EF that was introduced in 1978. By the end of the 1990s, the MVP-EF replaced the EF in Thomas' product lineup.
In 2007, now known simply as the Saf-T-Liner EF after dropping the MVP name, the front grill was redesigned to ease in maintenance. In spring 2010, Thomas redesigned the driver's area to be more comfortable and user friendly. The interior cover over the engine was made smaller offered easier access to components.
The Saf-T-Liner EF was available with a number of options that include air suspension, tinted windows, and wheelchair lift. A commercial version, known as the Transit Liner, was also available.
- Wheelbase: 136", 155", 174", 193", 212", 231"
- GVWR: up to 36,200 lbs.
- Cummins ISB6.7 EPA 2010, 6.7L, 200 to 260 hp
- Caterpillar Caterpillar 3126 7.2L 260 to 300 hp, discontinued
- Caterpillar Caterpillar C7 7.2L 260 to 300 hp, discontinued
- 54 to 90 passengers
- Autobus Viens - Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QC
- Cardinal Coach Lines (FirstGroup plc) - Calgary, AB
- Stock Transportation
- Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre shuttle (operated by Mulmer Services Ltd.) - Toronto, ON
- Thirdwave Bus Services - Vancouver, BC
- 1997 Thomas website. archive.org.
- Thomas Built Buses Receives Order For Several Hundred SCR Equipped SAF-T-LINER® EF Buses. 16 May 2010. Press release. Thomas Built Buses.
- Personal notes & sightings
- Thomas Built Buses - Thomas Saf-T-Liner MVP-EF, Internet Archive
- Recalls for Thomas MVP EF