Stockton Electric Railway
The Stockton Electric Railway is a former public transit agency operating in Stockton (San Joaquin County), California between 1891-1939.
The goal of streetcar services in Stockton, California reach back to February, 1869. A group of citizens presented the Stockton City Council with a petition asking for permission to construct a streetcar system. The petitioners asked for a twenty year lease, and would utilize the equipment of the time; using mules and horses for traction. The first attempt, regrettably, was turned down.
In 1873, the next petition was submitted to the council, passing this time. The petition called for tracks to be set in California, Main, El Dorado, Center and a few other streets.
In 1875, the Stockton Street Car Company was established, operating horse-drawn streetcars.
In 1889 the Stockton Street Railroad Company was established, also operating horse-drawn streetcars.
By 1891, Stockton Electric Railway acquired operations, operating continuously until 1939.
By 1941, streetcars were being replaced by buses, streetcars stopped running in 1945.
Today, the San Joaquin Regional Transit District operates similar services throughout Stockton and San Joaquin County.
This section is incomplete.
Cars retired completely by 1945.
|31-36||1/1913||Brill||Hedley||Brill 62E||Order number 18771.|
|41-45||1/1919||American||Birney||DE||GE||Brill 78M1F||Order number 1153D.|
|46-60||1920||St. Louis||Birney||DE||StL 7||Order number 1244.
|61-66||1925||American||Birney||DE||GE||Brill 79E1||Order number 1275.
|142-146||1936||St. Louis||Birney||DE||WH||StL 7||Order number 1243.
- Harold E. Cox (1963), PCC Cars of North America, p. 27