|S70 example built for Portland|
|Years of manufacture||2001 to present|
|Length||81.36 to 96.36 feet|
|Power||Alternating current electric|
The Siemens S70 (named Avanto in Europe) is a modular, low floor light rail vehicle. It is geared towards systems which run into a city centre from the surrounding regions. In Europe, this is exemplified with the tram-train concept which involves operating on mainline tracks. Therefore the Avanto meets higher safety specifications.
The dimensions and appearance of the S70 can be customized to suit the operator while the layout of all S70 trams are essentially the same. The S70 is composed of one short low floor section between two longer, partial low floor sections.
- Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS) - Charlotte, NC
- Hampton Roads Transit (HRT) - Virginia Beach; Norfolk & Newport News, VA
- Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) - Atlanta, GA
- Metro Transit - Minneapolis, MN
- Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County - Houston, TX
- San Diego Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) - San Diego, CA
- TriMet - Portland, OR
- Utah Transit Authority - Salt Lake City, UT
- Sound Transit - Seattle, WA (ON ORDER)
- Light rail reference list. September 2002 Siemens Transportation Systems.