Proterra Catalyst BE40
|Proterra Catalyst BE40|
|Years of manufacture||2014 to present|
The Proterra Catalyst is the company's second generation battery electric low floor transit bus. It was first launched as the 40-foot Catalyst BE40 at the 2014 APTA Bus and Paratransit Conference in Kansas City. Foothill Transit, the launch customer for the first generation bus, was the first to order the latest generation bus.
The bus can travel up to 50 miles before the standard fast charge (FC) batteries, now lithium–titanate instead of lithium-ion, need to be recharged. In February 2015, Proterra introduced an extended range (XR) option that allows the bus to travel up to 180 miles between charges. A year later, Proterra introduced an enhanced XR battery that holds 28 percent more energy at 330 kWh, allowing the bus to travel up to 193 miles. At the 2016 American Public Transit Association (APTA) Annual Meeting, Proterra unveiled their E2 (Efficient Energy) battery option with a capacity of 440 to 660 kWh that allows the bus to travel between 194 and 350 miles. This range is able to meet a full day's worth of service for some agencies.
The bus's batteries can be charged enroute with a proprietary charging station, which features automatic docking. The standard FC option can be fully charged in ten minutes, while the XR option can be fully charged in approximately one hour. The bus can also be plugged in using a J1772 CCS charger at the garage. The E2 is only charged this way while the bus is out of service, typically when it is parked overnight, at the garage and is fully charged in three to five hours.
|Length: 42' 6"|
|Wheelbase: 24’ 8"|
|GVWR: 39,050 lbs|
|UQM HD220 220 kW peak permanent magnet motor|
|Eaton EEV-7202 2-speed auto-shift EV transmission|
|Independent front suspension and multi-link air-ride rear suspension|
|Four wheel disc brakes w/ ABS and optional traction control|
|Series||Model||Nominal range||Standard charge time||Curb weight|
|FC (Fast Charge)||FC||49 miles||10 minutes||26,446 lbs|
|FC+||62 miles||13 minutes||27,500 lbs|
|XR (eXtended Range)||XR||136 miles||<3 hours||26,637 lbs|
|XR+||193 miles||<3 hours||28,243 lbs|
|E2 (Efficient Energy)||E2||251 miles||<3.5 hours||29,849 lbs|
|E2+||303 miles||<4 hours||31,455 lbs|
|E2 max||350 miles||<5 hours||31,455 lbs|
- Edmonton Transit Service (ETS) - Edmonton, AB (on order)
- Toronto Transit Commission - Toronto, ON (on order)
- Baltimore Gas Electric - Baltimore, MD
- DC Circulator - Washington, DC
- Duluth Transit Authority (DTA) - Duluth, MN (on order)
- Everett Transit - Everett, WA
- Foothill Transit - San Gabriel & Pomona Valleys, CA
- King County Metro Transit - Seattle, WA
- LexTran - Lexington, KY
- MetroLINK - Rock Island, IL
- Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) - New York City, NY
- Park City Transit - Park City, UT
- Pierce Transit - Pierce County, WA (on order)
- Pioneer Valley Transit Authority (PVTA) - Springfield, MA
- San Joaquin Regional Transit District (RTD) - Stockton, CA
- San Mateo County Transit District (SamTrans) - San Mateo County, CA (on order)
- Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) - Philadelphia, PA
- Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority - San Jose & Santa Clara County, CA
- The Fleet (leased by JLL, operated by SP+ Transportation) - Chicago, IL
- Transit Authority of River City (TARC) - Louisville, KY
- Worcester Regional Transit Authority (WRTA) - Worcester, MA
- Zion National Park shuttle (operated by RATP Dev) - Springdale, UT
- Proterra Catalyst® E2 Series Sets New Industry Precedent with a Nominal Range of up to 350 Miles. Press release. 12 September 2016. Protera, Inc. Retrieved on 16 November 2016.
- Proterra, bus maker, aims to follow Tesla model. Retrieved on 02 September 2014.
- Proterra Introduces Extended-Range Electric Bus, Flexible Battery System. Press release. 24 February 2016. Protera, Inc. Retrieved on 16 November 2016.