Prevost Car X3-45
|Years of manufacture||2005 to present|
The Prevost Car X3-45 is a 45-foot long motorcoach and successor to the LeMirage XL-II. Introduced at the end of 2005, the X3-45 made its official debut at the 2006 UMA Motorcoach Expo in Tampa, Florida.
The X3-45's frame is constructed from welded stainless steel and low-alloy high-tensile steel sections. The coach's outer stainless steel skin is welded to the frame.
The X3-45's design is based off Prevost's LeMirage XL-II. One of the key differences is an increased wheelbase. The X3-45 currently has both the longest coach wheelbase (334.5 in/8.5 m) and the largest luggage bays (139 sq. ft.) on the market. When introduced, the outward appearance of the XL-II and X3-45 was virtually the same.
To meet EPA 2007 emission standards, the bus needed to be equipped with a diesel particulate filter (DPF). When the DPF regenerates (burns particulate matter), intense heat is created. Prevost decided that the DPF would be mounted vertically with a rooftop diffuser to keep the heat away from passengers, mechanics, and debris. The interior of the coach was reconfigured to keep the same seating capacity while accommodating the after-treatment system.
The outward opening lavatory door was replaced with a sliding door. In 2008, Prevost introduced a new steering wheel design that integrated controls which used to be on the dashboard. Some other controls were relocated to improve user interaction as well.
Prevost introduced the Volvo D13 engine as an option in 2008 as an alternative to the Detroit Diesel Series 60. Detroit Diesel had announced that it would no longer sell its engines to companies outside of the Daimler family beginning in 2010. Detroit Diesel later announced a reversal of their decision, however Prevost coaches remain available exclusively with the Volvo powertrain.
A redesigned instrument panel was introduced for the 2011 model year. It features an improved layout as well as new aesthetic. Prevost also added their AWARE system which monitors and notifies the driver of vehicle spacing. This includes adaptive cruise control and impact alert.
At the end of 2010, the New York Metropolitan Transportation Authority awarded Prevost a contract for 90 X3-45 coaches as part of a program to evaluate buses from different manufacturers. Prevost developed a commuter version of the X3-45, which was introduced in 2011. "Transit features" such as a full-width destination sign, bi-parting entrance door, sliding wheelchair door, 8D batteries, more mirror options, and revised driver's area were made available.
In 2014, the option for a pantograph-type rear engine door was made available. The original two-piece design was hinged and swung outwards. The tail lights on the new door are configured in a similar manner to the H-Series.
At the 2017 UMA Expo, Prevost introduced their Electric Fan Drive in the X3-45. The system boasts a 4% improvement in fuel economy, better reliability, enhanced performance, and potential decrease in maintenance costs. It features six fans for the radiator and two for the charge air cooler (CAC). In winter conditions, fan rotation is reversed on a regular basis, pushing out snow, ice, and sleet. In summer conditions, fans are periodically turned off to allow debris blocking air flow to drop away.
At the 2019 UMA Expo, Prevost unveiled a redesigned X3-45 with new aerodynamic front and rear caps boasting a 10% improvement in fuel economy, a reinforced upper structure, and slimmer A-pillars for increased driver's visibility. Additionally, passenger visibility was increased by eliminating the curvature at the top of the side windows and removing a number of support pillars to allow for wider windows. A three-piece windshield was made available to accommodate full-width destination signs. The redesigned coaches were first produced during the 2019 model year with Greyhound USA getting the first production units in the summer of 2019.
Armoured presidential vehicle
Two armoured X3-45 conversions, customized by Hemphill Brothers Coach Company, were purchased by the United States Secret Service in 2011. Before the purchase, the Secret Service would lease buses and have to retrofit them for extra security. It was deemed more cost effective for them to have their own buses instead. The first bus was put to use in August 2011 when President Obama toured the Midwest United States. Critics were quick to point out that the bus was built by Prevost, a Canadian company. The Secret Service defended their decision stating the X3-45 was the only model to their understanding that would support the added weight of their security and communication equipment.
|Length: 45' (13.72m)|
|Width: 102" (2.59m)|
|Height: 134" (3.40m)|
|Wheelbase: 334.50" (8.50m)|
|Front overhang: 71.2" (1.8m)|
|Rear overhang: 86.6" (2.2m)|
|Turning radius w/ rigid suspension: 47.6' (14.5m)|
|Turning radius w/ IFS: 43.3' (13.2m)|
|Gross Vehicle Weight: 53,000 lb. (24,040 kg)|
|Detroit Diesel Series 60 12.7 litre, 380 or 445 hp||EPA 2004||2005-2007|
|Detroit Diesel Series 60 w/ EGR 14 litre, 445 hp||EPA 2007||2007-2010|
|Volvo D13 w/ EGR 13 litre, 435 hp||EPA 2007||2008-2010|
|Volvo D13 w/ SCR 13 litre 435 hp||EPA 2010, OBD13, GHG14, OBD16, GHG17||2009-present|
|Allison B500(R) 6 speed automatic||2005-present|
|Volvo I-Shift 12 speed||2010-present|
|ZF 10AS2300BO 10 speed automated manual||2005-2007|
|ZF 12AS2301BO 12 speed automated manual||2007-2010|
|Independent front suspension optional|
|Air ride with Prevost Electronic Stability Program|
|All-wheel disc brakes with ABS|
|Integral power steering (standard)|
|Variable assistance power steeting (optional)|
|Carrier 05G compressor||2005-2013|
- Angel Tours & Entertainment - Concord, ON
- Autobus Dufresne - Sainte-Martine, QC
- Autobus La Québécoise - Québec City, QC
- Conseil intermunicipal de transport Chambly-Richelieu-Carignan (CITCRC) - Carignan; Chambly; Marieville; Richelieu; Saint-Mathias-sur-Richelieu, QC
- Conseil intermunicipal de transport du Haut-Saint-Laurent (CITHSL) - Godmanchester; Howick; Huntingdon; Mercier; Ormstown; Sainte-Martine; Très-Saint-Sacrement, QC
- Conseil intermunicipal de transport du Sud-Ouest (CITSO) - Beauharnois;, Châteauguay; Kahnawake; Léry; and Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, QC
- Conseil intermunicipal de transport La Presqu'Île
- Conseil intermunicipal de transport Le Richelain - Candiac; La Prairie; and St-Philippe-de-La-Prairie, QC
- Conseil intermunicipal de transport Roussillon - Roussillon, QC
- Conseil intermunicipal de transport de Sorel-Varennes (CITSV) - Contrecoeur; Saint-Amable; Saint-Joseph-de-Sorel; Sorel-Tracy; Varennes; and Verchères, QC
- Diversified Transportation
- exo Chambly-Richelieu-Carignan - Carignan; Chambly; Marieville; Richelieu; Saint-Mathias-sur-Richelieu, QC
- exo Haut-Saint-Laurent - Godmanchester; Howick; Huntingdon; Mercier; Ormstown; Sainte-Martine; Très-Saint-Sacrement, QC
- exo La Presqu'Île - Hudson; Vaudreuil-Dorion; L'Île-Perrot; and Notre-Dame-de-l'Île-Perrot, QC
- exo Le Richelain - Candiac; La Prairie; and St-Philippe-de-La-Prairie, QC
- exo Roussillon - Roussillon, QC
- exo Sainte-Julie - Sainte-Julie, QC
- exo Sorel-Varennes - Contrecoeur; Saint-Amable; Saint-Joseph-de-Sorel; Sorel-Tracy; Varennes; and Verchères, QC
- exo Sud-Ouest - Beauharnois; Châteauguay; Kahnawake; Léry; and Salaberry-de-Valleyfield - QC
- First Canada - Calgary, AB
- Golden Arrow - Edmonton, AB
- Greyhound Canada
- Leduc Bus Lines - Rockland, ON
- Luxury Coach - Concord, ON
- Murray Hill - Terrebonne, QC
- Ontario Northland
- Orléans Express
- Red Arrow Motorcoach - Calgary, AB
- Strathcona County Transit - Sherwood Park, AB
- Trillium Coach Lines - Ottawa, ON
- Trius Tours
- Ville de Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu - Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QC
- Ville de Sainte-Julie - Sainte-Julie, QC
- Birnie Bus Service - Rome, NY
- Cavalier Coach Trailways - Boston, MA
- Cavalier Coaches - Owatonna, MN
- Classic Coach - Bohemia, NY
- E. Vanderhoof & Sons
- Greyhound USA
- Hampton Jitney
- Harms Charters - Sioux Falls, SD
- Hudson Link (operated by Transdev) - Lower Hudson Valley, NY
- James River Bus Lines
- Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) - New York, NY
- OC&W Coachways - Eugene, OR
- Orion Pacific
- Schrock Travel - Berlin, PA
- Western Contra Costa County Transit Authority - Contra Costa County, CA
- Wilson Bus Lines
|8999||2006||2PCG3349171028999||Detroit Diesel Series 60||ZF 10AS2300BO|
|9387||2008||2PCG334958C729387||Detroit Diesel Series 60||
|2011||2PCG33499BC729965||Volvo D13||Allison B500|
|5102||July 2011||2PCG33493CC735102||Volvo D13||Allison B500|
|2014||Volvo D13||Allison B500||
|6041||2016||Volvo D13||Allison B500||
|6055||2016||Volvo D13||Allison B500||
|6076||2016||Volvo D13||Allison B500||
|6117||2016||Volvo D13||Allison B500||
|7386||2017||4RKJ33498H9737386||Volvo D13||Allison B500||
|6317||2018||2PCJ33493JC736317||Volvo D13||Allison B500||
|6382||2019||Volvo D13||Allison B500||
- Detroit Diesel Re-Engages the North American Bus and Coach Industry for 2010 and Beyond, detroitdiesel.com, retreived on 2010-11-28
- Electrifying the future at Prevost. 01 March 2017. Press release. Prevost Car.
- The President's Beastly Bus, cnn.com, retrieved on 2011-08-17
- Secret Service Defends Canadian Bus, latimes.com, retrieved on 2011-08-17