Ottawa-Carleton Regional Transit Commission route 97 'Airport/Bayshore & Bells Corners'
Route 97 is a bus route operated by OC Transpo in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Route 97 is a Rapid route that serves important areas across the city and the Ottawa International Airport. 24 hour service between Downtown and the Airport is provided from Monday to Friday. Late-night trips extend to Rideau Station when Line 1 isn't operating.
September 5th, 1995
- From Billings Bridge, buses will be extended south via the Transitway to Hunt Club Road.
- Peak period service to Confederation Heights is removed, take new X87 from downtown for alternative service. Peak period service on Woodridge will remain.
November 20th, 1995
- Route is revised to serve the new Eagleson Park & Ride lot.
- Kanata trips will not serve the lot until after 9 PM.
February 9th, 1997
- Service will be increased and supplementary service on X97 to Bayshore will operate counterclockwise around Woodridge Crescent.
August 31st, 1997
- Service hours extended until 2 AM.
- Early morning service will operate to the Airport and return via Uplands, Breadner, Royal Route and Hunt Club, replacing Route 96 service.
- Will no longer operate along Iris to Pinecrest Garage.
September 6th, 1998
- Sunday afternoon service will be increased to every 15 minutes for a combined 7/8 minute frequency between Westboro and the Airport.
January 3rd, 1999
- Trips after midnight will travel via Hunt Club and Uplands to the Airport starting Sunday, December 20th. This is to provide customers with an alternative way to get home after local bus service has ended.
- Northbound trips will still travel via the Parkway.
April 25th, 1999
- Will serve the stop on Eagleson for all westbound trips, instead of entering the Park & Ride.
- Early morning trips will be extended from Kanata Town Centre to Hazeldean Mall. In addition, early morning trips will serve Queensview Drive (off Pinecrest) between Bayshore and Lincoln Fields, replacing a portion of Route 891.
August 29th, 1999
- Route is merged with Route 96 to become new revised Route 97 which will simplify service.
- Route now no longer deviates onto Pinecrest then Carling and instead stays on Richmond and then turns onto Carling on eastbound trips.
April 23rd, 2000
- Serves the eastbound stop on the Moodie off-ramp only on request.
September 3rd, 2000
- Will continue to serve Rideau Street after 1:00 AM, instead of travelling via Mackenzie King Station. This is part of a pilot project to bring service closer to the Byward Market area late at night and reduce walking distances for customers.
December 24th, 2000
- All trips will serve the newly built Bayshore Station, including the X97.
- Trips will access Highway 417 at Holly Acres Road for a faster trip.
- Trips to Kanata no longer serve Woodridge.
April 22nd, 2001
- Peak period afternoon trips will serve Bayshore Station then Woodridge Crescent.
April 21st, 2002
- New low floor accessible service added on weekdays and Sundays.
September 1st, 2002
- Some service will be extended to Kanata Centrum and Stittsville.
- Some trips are extended to Kanata Centrum and Stittsville, Monday to Saturday, offering new transit choices and the convenience of Transitway connections every hour.
June 22nd, 2003
- Late trip added via Rideau Street on Thursdays.
January 4th, 2004
- Revised to travel along Castlefrank between Katimavik and Earl Grey due to the opening of the Castlefrank Bridge. Route will no longer travel on Katimavik between Terry Fox Drive and Castlefrank.
September 5th, 2004
- Will be shortened to end at Bayshore in the west end for better service reliability. Kanata and Stittsville will be served by new Transitway Route 96.
- Peak period service on Woodridge will continue to be provided by 97X.
- Route 97 will continue to provide direct service between downtown and the Airport.
September 2nd, 2007
- Will be increased during the afternoon rush hour in both directions to reduce overcrowding.
September 5th, 2010
- Will be expanded to operate 24 hours a day, between Tunney's Pasture and the Airport, Monday to Friday.
April 17th, 2011
- The route no longer travels via Uplands Base in the early morning, and in the late evening, the number of trips via Uplands Base was reduced due to low ridership.
- Alternative service is available with Route 147.
September 4th, 2011
- Will be extended from Bayshore Station to Queensway-Carleton Hospital and Bells Corners via Richmond Road and Westcliffe Estates, replacing a portion of Route 166.
- Will also serve the Government offices along Fitzgerald Road replacing Route 179.
- Service to Bells Corners will operate every 30 minutes, seven days a week, similar to the current Route 166.
- The X97 peak period service on the north leg of Woodridge Crescent will be removed, but this street will still be served by Route 85.
- Service between Bayshore and the Airport will be increased Saturday evenings and on Sundays.
September 2nd, 2012
- Route will now run 24 hours a day Monday - Saturday between the Airport and Tunney’s Pasture with several new late night/early morning trips.
- To meet the growing demand for service, additional trips that are over and above the normal seasonal increases will be added.
September 1st, 2013
- Minor frequency reductions in certain time periods.
- Westbound trips are revised to use the new left lane and will stay on Richmond instead of trips staying on Carling then turning left onto Pinecrest, then right onto Richmond.
April 19th, 2015
- Will give improved Sunday evening service to Bells Corners. The trip leaving Bayshore at 6:22 PM will be extended west to Fitzgerald at Moodie.
December 20th, 2015
- Serves Lees station in the eastbound direction only.
April 24th, 2016
- No longer serves Campus Station.
- No longer serves Lees Station before 10 PM; after 10 PM serves Lees Station southbound only.
- After 10 PM (7 days a week, in both directions) buses travel via Laurier and King Edward Avenues between Laurier and Hurdman Stations:
- Southbound trips do not serve Laurier Station but serve a nearby stop at the corner of Laurier and Cumberland.
September 4th, 2016
- Service was increased based on ridership levels.
June 25th, 2017
- New routing and stop locations at Hurdman Station.
October 6th, 2019
- Route is shortened to operate between the Airport and Hurdman Station, with overnight service entending to Rideau Station.
- Service between Hurdman to Tunney's Pasture is replaced by Line 1.
- Service between Tunney's Pasture and Bells Corners will be replaced by new rapid Route 57.
May 3rd, 2020
- Line 2 train service at Greenboro will be replaced with Line 2 Bus service in preparations for the launch of Stage 2 LRT in 2022.
Previous route maps
Points of Interest/Popular Locations
- Bank Street Promenade
- Billings Bridge Plaza
- Ottawa Hospital - Riverside Campus
- Ottawa International Airport
- South Keys Shopping Centre