Ottawa-Carleton Regional Transit Commission route 96 'St-Laurent/Terry Fox & Stittsville'
Route 96 was a bus route operated by OC Transpo in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Route 96 was a regular route that travelled from Stittsville to St. Laurent Station via Kanata and downtown Ottawa. Frequencies were as high as every 3 minutes during peak periods. The 96 travelled on Highway 417 between Pinecrest Station and Queensway Station before joining Route 97 at Lincoln Fields. Early-morning trips traveled via Queensview and served Pinecrest Garage. (indicated with a z on schedules). Some morning peak trips heading eastbound start at Lincoln Fields and end at Hurdman station. Late-night trips travel via Rideau Street instead of the MacKenzie King Bridge. Most trips start at Terry Fox Station in Kanata, while there is half-hour to hourly service for the Stittsville community.
September 5th, 2004
- New Transitway Route that will replace part of Route 97 which will be shortened to improve service reliability. Buses will operate from Hurdman Station to Kanata and Stittsville along the same routing as the 97, with the exception of service between Lincoln Fields and Bayshore and in Stittsville.
- From Lincoln Fields, buses will travel via the Transitway to Queensway Station and then via Highway 417 to Bayshore for a faster, more direct trip.
- Route will serve Pinecrest in both directions, but Queensway Station in the eastbound direction only.
- Service along Carling and Richmond, between Lincoln Fields and Bayshore, will continue to be provided by Route 97.
- In Stittsville, Route will be extended south via Stittsville Main Street, Fernbank and Shea to the Goulbourn Recreation Centre, replacing Route 163.
- Route replaces express Route 90 in its entirety, meaning there will be no express fare charged for those who took former Route 90.
- Route also provides early morning service to replace a portion of cancelled Route 891 between Queensview to Lincoln Fields and between Hurdman and St. Laurent stations.
September 5th, 2005
- Will be increased weekdays to operate every 12 minutes midday in both directions between Kanata and downtown, and every 7/8 minutes eastbound from Kanata in the morning peak period and westbound to Kanata in the afternoon peak period.
- Weekend service will also be increased. This will mean improved service for Kanata residents and shorter wait times at Terry Fox and Eagleson Park & Ride lots.
September 3rd, 2006
- Will be increased during peak periods with the addition of D96 trips that will offer an alternative to express routes at the regular fare similar to that of former express Route 90 cancelled in September 2004. These trips will follow a slightly different route that bypasses Bayshore for a quicker trip between Kanata and downtown.
- The D96 trips will start at Eagleson Park & Ride in the morning, and end at Terry Fox Station in the afternoon. To catch these direct trips that do not serve Bayshore, look for buses that sign D96 Special.
- Trips travelling between Stittsville and Terry Fox Station will be revised to travel on Castlefrank instead of Terry Fox Drive in Kanata.
- Service will be removed from Campeau and Kanata Avenue north of the Holiday Inn.
- Service on Terry Fox between Hazeldean and Katimavik will continue to be provided by Route 118.
- Will be expanded to serve Stittsville seven days a week with more frequent service and longer hours. From Monday to Saturday, service will operate every 30 minutes until approximately 8 PM, then every 60 minutes until about midnight. On Sundays, service will operate every 60 minutes from about 8 AM until 8 PM Will be extended in Stittsville from the Goulbourn Recreation Centre to Abbott, Granite Ridge, Harry Douglas, Iber and Abbott back to its regular route.
- Will travel to and from Terry Fox Station via Castlefrank instead of Terry Fox Drive.
April 15th, 2007
- All D96 morning peak period trips will be extended to start at Terry Fox Station. These trips bypass Bayshore and provide a fast trip to downtown at the regular fare.
September 2nd, 2007
- Will be increased throughout the day, with service operating as frequently as every three minutes during the busiest times to accommodate growth.
September 6th, 2009
- Route is rerouted to serve the new Pinecrest and Bayshore Stations.
- Route no longer serves Holly Acres, Richmond at Nanaimo, or Queensway off-ramp at Greenbank.
June 27th, 2010
- Service will be extended from Hurdman to Blair Station on weekdays during peak periods and the mid-day for improved connections and options for customers.
April 17th, 2011
- Route will have some PM trips that start in Gatineau to reduce transfers for many customers in Hull.
September 4th, 2011
- Will operate a more direct service to and from Stittsville and Castlefrank in peak periods by bypassing Terry Fox Station with new C96 trips, which will speed up travel time for residents.
- Morning trips that start in Stittsville and Castlefrank at Hazeldean will travel from Castlefrank via the 417 to Eagleson Station and the regular route.
- In the afternoon peak period, these supplementary trips will travel from Eagleson Station along Katimavik then south on Castlefrank.
- Route service to and from Stittsville will continue to operate via Terry Fox Station in the off-peak periods.
- Regular service from Terry Fox Station will continue to operate via Katimavik as well as the D96 trips via the 417 to/from downtown.
June 24th, 2012
- Route is extended in Stittsville west along Hazeldean to Carp Road and Stittsville Main, to improve access to shopping and residential areas.
- A new all-day service on Route 96 will operate from Terry Fox Station to Scotiabank Place, via Palladium, to improve access to office buildings and the Scotiabank Park & Ride lot. Buses will sign 96A in both directions.
- Service will operate Monday to Friday, eastbound to downtown between approximately 7:00 AM and 5:30 PM, and westbound from about 7:00 AM until 7:00 PM Frequency will be mainly every 30 minutes.
- C96 and D96 trips are renumbered to 96C and 96D, respectively.
September 2nd, 2012
- Route will have expanded service hours with a new weekday trip departing Terry Fox at 3:47 AM and Hurdman at 4:43 AM.
- Route will also be rerouted in Stittsville to end at the Goulbourn Recreation Centre instead of looping around Granite Ridge, Harry Douglas, Iber and Abbott.
- 96A will be extended from Scotiabank Place along Huntmar, Hazeldean, Fringewood, Granite Ridge, Abbott and Shea to the Goulbourn Recreation Centre.
- Service will operate Monday to Friday between 7 AM and 7 PM in both directions, and provide residents with a new, faster connection to Kanata and downtown and improve service to businesses. This extension will also reduce walking distances to daily service for the Fairwinds community, and provide them with improved transit options.
- To meet the growing demand for service, additional trips that are over and above the normal seasonal increases will be added.
September 1st, 2013
- Busy trips/runs now being assigned articulated and Double Decker buses.
- All trips now extend to Blair station.
April 20th, 2014
- Will no longer be diverted to serve Kanata Town Center due to low ridership. Buses will continue to service Katimavik Road.
August 31st, 2014
- More weekend service in Stittsville.
- Two new eastbound trips leaving from Goulbourn Recreation Complex.
- Route 96A: Once road construction is done, 96A will be extended to serve Tanger Outlet. From Stittsville, buses will travel along Huntmar, Palladium, South on Huntmar to the Canadian Tire Centre and before returning to its regular route.
October 17th, 2014
- Will serve the new Tanger Outlets mall.
- Route 96A will continue to provide service on weekdays from 7 AM to 7 PM, while Route 196 will operate after 7 PM and on weekends.
January 4th, 2015
- Some 96A trips were changed to travel via Iber Road and Abbott, instead of Fringewood and Granite Ridge. Before noon, buses run westbound via Iber and Abbott to Goulbourn Recreation Centre, and eastbound via Granite Ridge and Fringewood to Terry Fox. In the afternoon, buses operate eastbound via Abbott and Iber to Terry Fox, and westbound via Fringewood and Granite Ridge to Goulbourn Recreation Centre.
April 19th, 2015
- On Sunday mornings, service in Stittsville will start earlier. The first trip will leave the Goulbourn Recreation Centre at around 7:21 AM.
- On weekdays, early morning eastbound direct service to Blair Station will be improved.
- The trip that currently ends at Hurdman Station at 6:05 AM will be extended to Blair.
June 28th, 2015
- Will travel on Tremblay Road and to VIA Rail Train Station.
- No service to Cyrville or Blair Stations.
- New Route 92 replaces all 96A trips.
December 20th, 2015
- An afternoon trip that previously ended at Terry Fox was extended to Stittsville following the 96C routing.
- Does not serve Lees Station westbound.
- East and southbound trips between 7 PM and 6 AM and on weekends serve the upper level of Lees Station.
- Uses Highway 417 and the Vanier Parkway between Campus and Hurdman Stations.
January 4th, 2016
- Some westbound PM trips will be shortened to start at Campus instead of Hurdman.
April 24th, 2016
- No longer serves Lees or Campus Stations in either direction.
- Travels via Highway 417 and Nicholas Street between Laurier and Hurdman Stations.
April 23rd, 2017
- Route is renumbered to rapid Route 61 in preparations for the launch of the O-Train Confederation Line in 2018.
Previous route maps
Points of Interest/Popular Locations
- Bank Street Promenade
- Bayshore Shopping Centre
- Canadian War Museum (Lebreton Station)
- Chateau Laurier
- Goulburn Recreational Centre
- Kanata Centrum
- Lincoln Fields Shopping Centre
- National Arts Centre
- National Library
- Parliament Hill
- Pinecrest Shopping Centre
- Rideau Canal
- Rideau Centre/Byward Market
- Sparks Street Mall
- Tunney's Pasture government complex
- University of Ottawa
- Westboro Village
- World Exchange Plaza