Ottawa-Carleton Regional Transit Commission route 6
Route 6 was a peak period route operated by OC Transpo in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Route 6 was a peak period route that ran between Tunney's Pasture, Carling Ave., the Glebe, and downtown to Hurdman Station. The route operated from 6 AM to 10 AM and 2:30 PM to 7 PM. Service was every 15 minutes westbound in the morning and eastbound in the afternoon, while opposite directions remained at 30 minutes. Originally called the "Carling Bus" until 1950, this is by far the first and oldest bus route in Ottawa. In fact, the routing is still the same as when it was created in the late 1920s except at each end, when Tunney's Pasture federal complex was built and when the Rideau Centre was built. [Citation Needed]
July 14th, 1996
September 3rd, 2000
- Route will be extended on Sundays to Tunney’s Pasture, following the same routing as weekday evenings and Saturdays.
June 27th, 2004
- No service except during rush hours Monday to Friday. For alternate service, see Routes 5, 14, 85 and 316. This was due to major budget cuts in the city’s operating budget.
- Route will serve Columbine, Ross and Eglantine on all trips.
June 26th, 2005
- Service from 9 AM to 3 PM, Monday to Friday is reinstated. Weekend service and late evening service will not be reintroduced.
September 4th, 2011
- Will be shortened to operate between the Rideau Centre and Carling at Holland, and reduced to operate during peak periods only.
- Service on Parkdale to Tunney’s Pasture will be discontinued.
- Route 14 will continue to provide all-day service on Parkdale and Elgin, while new Route 159 will serve Tunney’s Pasture north of the station.
- All-day service on Glebe and First Avenue will be removed, but service will be available on Bronson and Bank Streets.
- Carling Avenue will continue to be served by Routes 85 and 101 during the day and connections to Tunney’s Pasture can be made by transferring to Route 102 on Carling or Routes 86 or 176 at Holland.
August 31st, 2014
- Route was extended westward from Carling Avenue to Tunney’s Pasture and eastward to Hurdman Station.
- Route is now classified as a regular limited service route with some mid-day trips being added.
June 28th, 2015
- Routing was changed between Lees and Hurdman.
- Relocated bus stop at Lees Station.
December 20th, 2015
- Route altered due to the closure of the Transitway between Lees and Hurdman.
April 23rd, 2017
- Route is re-branded and renumbered as local limited service Route 56 in preparations for the launch of the O-Train Confederation Line in 2018.
Previous route maps
Points of Interest/Popular Locations
- Glebe Collegiate Institute
- Carling O-Train station
- Ottawa Hospital - Civic Campus
- Tunney's Pasture