Ottawa-Carleton Regional Transit Commission route 6
Route 6 was a peak period route operated by OC Transpo in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Route 6 was a peak period route that ran between Tunney's Pasture, Carling Ave., the Glebe, and downtown to Hurdman Station. The route operated from 6 AM to 10 AM and 2:30 PM to 7 PM. Service was every 15 minutes westbound in the morning and eastbound in the afternoon, while opposite directions remained at 30 minutes. Originally called the "Carling Bus" until 1950, this is by far the first and oldest bus route in Ottawa. In fact, the routing is still the same as when it was created in the late 1920s except at each end, when Tunney's Pasture federal complex was built and when the Rideau Centre was built. [Citation Needed]
July 14th, 1996
September 3rd, 2000
- Route will be extended on Sundays to Tunney’s Pasture, following the same routing as weekday evenings and Saturdays.
June 27th, 2004
- No service except during rush hours Monday to Friday. For alternate service, see Routes 5, 14, 85 and 316. This was due to major budget cuts in the city’s operating budget.
- Route will serve Columbine, Ross and Eglantine on all trips.
June 26th, 2005
- Service from 9 AM to 3 PM, Monday to Friday is reinstated. These trips will serve Columbine and Parkdale, replacing service on Route 176.
- Weekend service and late evening service will not be reintroduced.
September 4th, 2011
- Will be shortened to operate between the Rideau Centre and Carling at Holland, and reduced to operate during peak periods only.
- Service on Parkdale to Tunney’s Pasture will be discontinued.
- Route 14 will continue to provide all-day service on Parkdale and Elgin, while new Route 159 will serve Tunney’s Pasture north of the station.
- All-day service on Glebe and First Avenue will be removed, but service will be available on Bronson and Bank Streets.
- Carling Avenue will continue to be served by Routes 85 and 101 during the day and connections to Tunney’s Pasture can be made by transferring to Route 102 on Carling or Routes 86 or 176 at Holland.
August 31st, 2014
- Route is extended westward from Carling Avenue to Tunney’s Pasture and eastward to Hurdman Station. Buses will travel via Pretoria Bridge and the Transitway, instead of travelling along Elgin Street to the Rideau Centre, to reduce travel time for customers.
- Connections to the Rideau Centre can be made by transferring to Routes 1 and 7 on Bank Street or to Route 5 on Elgin Street.
- Route will operate from 6 AM to 10 AM and 2:30 PM to 7 PM. Service will be increased to every 15 minutes westbound in the morning and eastbound in the afternoon, while the opposite directions will remain at 30 minutes.
June 28th, 2015
- Routing is altered due to the transitway closing.
- Route now serves Hurdman and Lees station via Riverside then the transitway instead of via Lees ave, then the transitway.
December 20th, 2015
- Serves Lees Station on the upper level.
- Uses Highway 417 and the Vanier Parkway between Lees and Hurdman Stations.
April 23rd, 2017
- Route is renumbered to local limited service Route 56 in preparations for the launch of the O-Train Confederation Line in 2018.
Previous route maps
Points of Interest/Popular Locations
- Glebe Collegiate Institute
- Carling O-Train station
- Ottawa Hospital - Civic Campus
- Tunney's Pasture