Ottawa-Carleton Regional Transit Commission Champagne Garage
Champagne Garage was closed in June 1979. It was the last former streetcar garage to be active in the City of Ottawa.
Due to it's closure prior to the arrival of the GM Articulated buses in 1982, it never got to see the use of articulated buses.
Originally the garage operated under the Ottawa Electric Railway (OER) as a streetcar carhouse. Champagne Carhouse was later transferred to the Ottawa Transportation Commission (OTC) in 1948 when the City of Ottawa took over the privately operated OER.
Under OTC, not much changed. However in 1959 with the abandonment of the streetcar system, the carhouse was converted into a bus garage. It remained a bus garage from that point forward until it's closure in 1979.
In 1972 when transit in Ottawa became a regional service under the Regional Municipality of Ottawa-Carleton (RMOC), it was inherited by the Ottawa-Carleton Regional Transit Commission (OC Transpo). They closed down the garage in June 1979 . At the time the booking facility was operated out of Champagne, so it was moved to Belfast.
After the closure, it was sold in 1981 for $9,000,000 . It is not stated who the buyer was at the time, however later on it became home to the Vimy House. The Vimy House was closed when the War Museum opened in Lebreton Flats, because it housed most of the tanks and vehicles that are now found in the War Museum. Champagne Garage was once again sold, but now is Just Right Self Storage located at 255 City Centre Avenue (the new name for Champagne Avenue North, which was renamed because of the amalgamated city policy to "eliminate duplicate street names". It was completely gutted and renovated and now is unrecognizable as a former transit garage, despite the building still standing.
- None, closed garage
- OC Transpo annual report 1979, page 11 - Retrieved January 16, 2013
- OC Transpo annual report 1981, page 13 - Retrieved January 16, 2013