|General Motors New Look|
|Years of manufacture||1959 to 1986|
|Length||29 to 40 feet|
|Width||96 or 102 inches|
|Power/Fuel||Diesel or Gasoline|
The General Motors New Look series (nicknamed "Fishbowl" for its round windshield) was a line of transit buses manufactured and sold in Canada and the United States. In production for over 25 years and with over 44,000 produced, it has become an iconic North American transit bus.
- 1 History
- 2 Design
- 3 Models
- 3.1 30 Foot Transit Models
- 3.2 35 Foot Transit Models
- 3.3 40 Foot Transit Models
- 3.4 35 Foot Suburban Models
- 3.5 40 Foot Suburban Models
The first New Look buses were delivered to DC Transit Service of Washington, DC in November 1959. Production continued in the United States until 1977, when the New Look was replaced by the RTS "Advanced Design Bus". A revamped design of the New Look, the Classic, was introduced in 1982 for Canadian customers who weren't overly enthusiastic about the RTS. Despite the introduction of the Classic, the New Look design remained in production in Canada into 1986, including some orders produced for American transit agencies (Canadian-built units were first produced at GM's plant in London, Ontario (1961-1974) and later at St. Eustache, Quebec (1974-1986)). The last New Look buses made were ordered by Santa Monica Municipal Bus Lines of Santa Monica, California.
The New Look used a monocoque structure where the riveted aluminum body supported the weight of the bus. The engine cradle was hung off the back of the roof. This helped reduce the weight of the bus. The first model produced was 40 feet long and 102 inches wide. GM soon introduced models in lengths of 30 and 35 feet as well as a width of 96 inches.
The New Look was commonly powered by the Detroit Diesel Series 71 engine, mostly the V6 version. The engine and transmission laid out in GM's "V-drive" configuration. The engine was mounted transversely at the rear with the transmission at an approximate 45 degree angle to the rear axle. The powertrain assembly was mounted on a cradle that could be easily removed and replaced.
The original transmission choices were a four-speed non-synchronized manual transmission and an Allison one-speed automatic transmission that transferred power through a torque converter. The two-speed Allison VS-2 with overdrive was later made available. The three-speed Allison V730 was offered beginning in 1977.
The 30 foot New Looks used a T-drive powertrain arrangement with a GMC V6 ToroFlow engine.
The New Look was available in a transit or suburban version. Transit New Looks were configured for urban bus operations and generally had two doors. Suburban New Looks were configured for longer distance travel and were available with 2+2 high backed seating, parcel racks and underfloor bays and generally had one door.
The model name breaks down as follows:
- (T)ransit or (S)uburban
- (D)iesel or (G)asoline, later (6)-cylinder or (8)-cylinder diesel
- (H)ydraulic (automatic) or (M)echanical (manual) transmission
- 33 maximum seats in a 29' bus 45 maximum seats in a 35' bus, 53 maximum seats in a 40' bus
The following two digits were the model series. Odd numbers for 35' transit buses denoted a 96" width while even numbers denoted a 102" width. Odd numbers for 40' transit buses denoted a 102" width while even numbers denoted a 96" width. All 29' and suburban models were 96" wide.
Later designations included an "A" for air conditioning or "N" for non-air conditioned buses.
The serial number is sometimes listed after the model. A "C" prefix was used for buses built in London, Ontario and an "M" prefix for those built in St-Eustache, Quebec. Buses built in Pontiac, Michagan did not have any letter designation.
30 Foot Transit Models
33 seat model, all 96 inches wide
- TGH-3301 - GMC 1969-1971
- TDH-3301 - GMC 1969-1971
- TDH-3301A - GMC 1969-1971
- TDH-3302A - GMC 1972-1973
- TDH-3302N - GMC 1972-1973
35 Foot Transit Models
45 seat model
Even numbered models are 102 inches wide, odd numbered models are 96 inches wide.
- TDH-4516 - GMC 1959-1962
- TDH-4517 - GMC 1959-1962, GMDD 1962-1963
- TDH-4518 - GMC 1963-1967
- TDH-4519 - GMC 1963-1967, GMDD 1963-1968
- T6H-4521 - GMC 1968-1971, GMDD 1968-1972
- T6H-4521A - GMC 1968-1971
- T6H-4523A - GMC 1971-1977
- T6H-4523N - GMC 1971-1977, GMDD 1972-1983
40 Foot Transit Models
53 Seat model
Odd numbered models are 102 inches wide, even numbered models are 96 inches wide except for model T6H-5310A which was also a 102 inch wide unit.
6 Cylinder engines
- TDH-5301 - GMC 1959-1962, GMDD 1961-1963
- TDH-5302 - GMC 1959-1962, GMDD 1963
- TDH-5303 - GMC 1963-1967, GMDD 1963-1968
- TDH-5304 - GMC 1963-1967, GMDD 1963-1968
- T6H-5305 - GMC 1967-1971, GMDD 1968-1972
- T6H-5305A - GMC 1968-1971
- T6H-5306 - GMC 1968-1971, GMDD 1968-1972
- T6H-5306A - GMC 1968-1971
- T6H-5307N - GMC 1972, GMDD 1972-1984
- T6H-5307A - GMC 1972-1976
- T6H-5308N - GMC 1972, GMDD 1972-1976
- T6H-5308A - GMC 1972-1976
- T6H-5309A - GMC 1972-1973
- T6H-5310A - GMC 1972-1973
8 Cylinder engines
- T8H-5305 - GMC 1968-1971
- T8H-5305A - GMC 1968-1971, GMDD 1970
- T8H-5306 - GMC 1969-1970
- T8H-5306A - GMC 1968-1971
- T8H-5307A - GMC 1971-1977, GMDD 1973-1986
- T8H-5308A - GMC 1972-1976, GMDD 1981-1983
- T8H-5308N - GMC 1975-1976
6 Cylinder engines
- TDM-5301 - GMC 1961
- TDM-5302 - GMC 1961
- TDM-5303 - GMC 1964-1967
- TDM-5304 - GMC 1963-1965
- T6M-5305A - GMC 1968
- T6M-5306 - GMC 1968
- T6M-5306A - GMC 1969
35 Foot Suburban Models
All 6 cylinder engines.
All 96 inches wide.
- SDH-4501 - GMC 1959-1962
- SDH-4502 - GMC 1963-1967, GMDD 1965-1968
- S6H-4503 - GMC 1968-1971, GMDD 1969
- S6H-4503A - GMC 1968-1971
- S6H-4504A - GMC 1971-1974
- SDM-4501 - GMC 1959-1962, GMDD 1962
- SDM-4502 - GMC 1963-1967, GMDD 1963-1966
- S6M-4503 - GMC 1968-1971, GMDD 1968
- S6M-4503A - GMC 1968-1971
- S6M-4504A - GMC 1972-1973
40 Foot Suburban Models
All 8 cylinder engines.
All 96 inches wide.
- SDH-5301 - GMC 1960-1961
- SDH-5302 - GMC 1963-1967, GMDD 1965
- S8H-5303A - GMC 1969-1971, GMDD 1970
- S8H-5304A - GMC 1972-1976
- SDM-5301 - GMC 1959-1962, GMDD 1963
- SDM-5302 - GMC 1963-1967, GMDD 1964-1968
- S8M-5303A - GMC 1968-1971, GMDD 1968
- S8M-5304A - GMC 1971-1977
| General Motors New Look