New Flyer Industries XHE40
|Years of manufacture||2015 to present|
|Seating capacity||42 max|
|Propulsion||Hydrogen Fuel Cell|
The New Flyer Industries XHE40 is a hydrogen fuel cell, low floor transit bus from the Xcelsior line. It was launched following a competitive grant from the California Energy Commission for the development of an advanced fuel cell transit bus. SunLine Transit Agency would operate the bus. In 2017, SunLine received funding for a further five XHE40 buses.
The rear wheels of the XHE40 are driven by a Siemens electric motor with electricity stored in batteries and generated from Ballard’s FCmove-HD hydrogen fuel cell. Batteries capture the braking energy, providing further power for the bus's acceleration.
The first trial bus for SunLine used a fuel cell supplied by Hydrogenics.  Production buses used Ballard's seventh generation FCveloCity hydrogen fuel cell. They had a range of 350 miles.
In September 2022, New Flyer introduced their next generation fuel cell bus: the Xcelsior CHARGE FC. It uses the more compact and robust Ballard FCmove-HD hydrogen fuel cell. The integrated design houses all subcomponents in a single enclosure and is smaller, lighter, and uses fewer parts. The battery enclosure uses a lighter, simplified design. More efficient batteries allow for a range of 370 miles.
- Edmonton Transit Service - Edmonton, AB
- Strathcona County Transit - Sherwood Park, AB
- Winnipeg Transit - Winnipeg Transit, MB (On Order)
- Alameda-Contra Costa Transit District (AC Transit) - Alameda and Contra Costa Counties, CA
- Central Midlands Regional Transit Authority - Columbia, SC (on order)
- Foothill Transit - San Gabriel & Pomona Valleys, CA
- Golden Empire Transit - Bakersfield, CA
- Metropolitan Transportation Authority - New York City, NY (on order)
- Orange County Transportation Authority (OC Bus) - Orange County, CA
- Regional Transportation Commission of Southern Nevada - Las Vegas, NV (on order)
- Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) - Philadelphia, PA (on order)
- SunLine Transit Agency - Coachella Valley, CA
- “California Energy Commission Awards New Flyer $1.7 Million In Support Of Developing a Zero-Emission Fuel Cell Transit Bus.” Press release. New Flyer Industries, 08 April 2015.
- SunLine wins funding to add fuel cell buses, large hydrogen station, Fuel Cells Bulletin, Volume 2017, Issue 5, 2017, Page 12
|New Flyer Industries|