New Flyer Industries DE40LFR
|New Flyer DE40LFR|
|DE40LFR with GM-Allison system and low-profile enclosure|
|Years of manufacture||2006 to 2013|
|DE40LFR with GM-Allison system and original enclosure|
The New Flyer Industries DE40LFR is a restyled version of the DE40LF model from New Flyer Industries. It features a curved front end, as well as a smoother rear end with recessed taillights. The majority of the bus remains the same.
As of January 2014, New Flyer has pulled the DE40LFR along with other LFR models from their webpage, therefore discontinuing them. Its replacement in the New Flyer lineup is the XDE40.
In 2007, some models were given the name DE41LFR to reflect added length to the bus with the Cummins ISL engine and Allison parallel hybrid system. However later models were given back the DE40LFR designation.
Aesthetic and design changes
In addition to the changes made to the general New Flyer Industries Restyled design, the DE40LFR received changes unique to hybrid models.
In 2007, New Flyer introduced a restyled low-profile enclosure for the DE40LFR. It debuted with ETS and ABQ RIDE. It was likely requested due to low clearance on the High Level Bridge, a main corridor from downtown Edmonton to the south side. ISE Corporation have also developed their own battery enclosure which differs from New Flyer's design used with Allison hybrids.
As what is likely a special request by the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA), a batch of DE40LFRs were delivered with the roof fairing that is used on the E40LFR with the housing of the batteries and HVAC used on the BRT models. The roof assembly curves down to the roof just at the end of the battery pack. The first bus with this option was delivered to SEPTA in March 2010. Other systems have since taken the same option.
- Cummins ISL9 EPA 2010, 8.9L, 280 hp (parallel, 2010-2013)
- Cummins ISB6.7 EPA 2010, 6.7L, 260 hp (series, 2010-2013)
- Cummins ISB EPA 2007, 6.7L, 260 hp (series, 2007-2009)
- Cummins ISL EPA 2007, 8.9L, 280 hp (parallel, 2007-2009)
- Cummins ISL EPA 2004, 8.9L (parallel, 2006-2007)
- Cummins ISB EPA 2004, 5.9L (series, 2006-2007)
- ACQ Pressure Preserved Plywood subfloor
- Altro Transfloor
- Thermo King roof mounted (2010-present)
- Thermo King T11 rear mounted (2006-2010)
- Meritor (no longer offered after 2007)
- Edmonton Transit System (ETS) - Edmonton, AB
- St. Catharines Transit - St. Catharines, ON
- Saskatoon Transit - Saskatoon, SK
- Transit Windsor - Windsor, ON
- ABQ RIDE - Albuquerque, NM
- Blacksburg Transit - Blacksburg, VA
- Capital Area Transportation Authority (CATA) - Lansing, MI
- Capital Metro Transit - Austin, TX
- Champaign Urbana Mass Transit District - Champaign and Urbana, IL
- Community Transit - Snohomish County, WA
- Crystal Transport - Brighton, MA
- Maryland Transit Administration (MTA) - Baltimore, MD
- Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County (METRO) - Houston & Harris County, TX
- Paul Revere Transportation - Boston, MA
- Regional Transportation Commission of Southern Nevada (RTC Transit) - Las Vegas, NV
- Roaring Fork Transportation Authority (RFTA) - Aspen, CO
- Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) - Philadelphia, PA
- Southwest Ohio Regional Transit Authority (SORTA) - Cincinnati, OH
- TheBus - Honolulu, HI
- VIA Metropolitan Transit - San Antonio, TX
- Washington Metropolitan Area Transportation Authority (WMATA) - Washington, DC
Demonstrator and engineering units
|Fleet number||Thumbnail||Year||VIN||Engine||Hybrid system||Notes|
|2005||5FYH4FV105B027819||Cummins ISL||Allison EP40 System||
|New Flyer Industries|