Neoplan USA AN460
|Neoplan USA AN460|
|Years of manufacture||1982 to 2005|
The Neoplan USA AN460 was a 60-foot (18m), high-floor transit bus sold in the United States. The first buses were built for the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA). The AN460 was offered until Neoplan ceased operations in January 2006.
The AN460 used an electrically welded, integral steel structure. Carbon steel was used for the majority with stainless steel used for areas such as the wheel housings, engine bay, and stepwells. The galvanized steel roof and body panels were either welded or adhered to the frame. The front and rear of the bus were moulded from fibreglass.
The drivetrain was mounted at the rear of the trailer section. Diesel engines were standard. And while Neoplan advertised compressed and liquified natural gas engines were available, none are known to have been ordered with the AN460. Neoplan has, however, built dual fuel (diesel/LNG) and dual mode AN460 buses. The former for the Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County in 1992, and the latter as a diesel/electric trolleybus demonstrator in 1985.
The AN460 was available with two or three doors. Initially offering plug-type doors, slide glide and flip out doors would later become options. A wheelchair lift could be specified at the front or rear doors.
Over the course of production, the appearance of the AN460's front end changed little over time. In the mid-1990s, the rear of the bus was revised. The original rear design had more pronounced louvres and an engine door that wrapped around the rear quarters of the bus with the tail lights arranged horizontally over the bumper.
- Cummins M11 330 hp
- Cummins ISM 330 hp
- Detroit Diesel 6V92TA
- Detroit Diesel 8V92TA
- Detroit Diesel Series 50
- Detroit Diesel Series 50G (CNG)
- Detroit Diesel Series 60 320 hp
- MAN D2566
- Thermo King with Intelligaire controls
- Available in rear or roof mount
- Driver's unit included with front windshield defroster, incorporating a separate air ventilation system, which utilizes blowers and ram-air vent
- 12/24 volt system with two 8D or 4 group 31 batteries.
- 12 volt dual rectangular (sealed beam) headlights and marker lamps
- Electrically welded, integral construction of stainless and mild steel
- Double sided, galvanized steel roof and sidewall panels attached to frame with spot welds or glue
- Front and rear caps are fiberglass
- Stainless steel wheel housings, stepwells, and engine area
- Upper portion of the two-section curved windshield tinted with sunguard.
- Windshields curved to eliminate sun glare and reflection.
- Passenger windows have tiltable upper transom and standard glazing (1/4" tempered safety glass)
- Sliding or solid pane (laminated safety glass or acrylic) and sacrificial panels optional.
- Front: Neoplan Independent Front Suspension with Meritor axle hubs
- Middle: Neoplan Independent Front Suspension with Meritor axle hubs
- Rear: Meritor 61100 Series drive axle
- Bendix "S" cam brakes with Haldex automatic slack adjusters and MGM brake chambers
- Meritor Wabaco ABS system standard
- Automatic Traction Control (ATC) optional
- up to 65 passengers
- single 125-gallon capacity
- Energy absorbing bumpers on front and rear
- Roof escape hatches
- Dry type chemical fire extinguisher
- Optional fire detection system
- Methane detection system for CNG/LNG
- The Bee-Line System - Westchester County, NY
- Capital Area Transit - Harrisburg, PA
- Central Florida Regional Transit Authority (LYNX) - Orlando, FL
- Community Transit - Snohomish County, WA
- DASH (Alexandria Transit Company) - Alexandria, VA
- Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) - Dallas, TX
- Detroit Department of Transportation (DDOT) - Detroit, MI
- Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) - Atlanta, GA
- Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County (METRO) - Houston & Harris County, TX
- Nashville Metropolitan Transit Authority - Nashville, TN
- Port Authority of Allegheny County (PA Transit) - Pittsburgh, PA
- Rhode Island Public Transit Authority (RIPTA) - Rhode Island
- Roaring Fork Transportation Authority (RFTA) - Aspen, CO
- Rochester-Genesee Regional Transportation Authority (RGRTA) - Rochester, NY
- San Francisco MUNI - San Francisco, CA
- San Mateo County Transit District (SamTrans) - San Mateo County, CA
- Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) - Philadelphia, PA
- Washington Metropolitan Area Transportation Authority (WMATA) - Washington, DC
Demonstrator and engineering units
|1983||1N9TAA3A4DL013639||Detroit Diesel 8V92TA||Allison HT-740|
|1984||1N9TAA3A6EL013491||Detroit Diesel 8V92TA||Allison HT-747|
|1984||1N9TAA3A3EL013522||Detroit Diesel 8V92TA||Allison HT-747|
|1985||FL013453||Exported to Mexico.|
|1985||1N9TA31A6FL013586||Detroit Diesel 6V92TA||Allison HT-747||
|1986||Detroit Diesel 6V92TA||Allison HT-747|