Motor Coach Industries D45 CRT LE
|Motor Coach Industries D45 CRT LE|
|Years of manufacture||2017 to present|
The Motor Coach Industries D45 CRT LE, part of MCI's next-generation D-Series, is a commuter coach available in Canada and the United States. The coach features a low entry section near the middle to facilitate boarding of mobility devices. This low floor section can also be accessed via a staircase to the high floor section. Deliveries were expected to begin in the fourth quarter of 2018. The Bow Valley Regional Transit Services Commission of Banff, Alberta was the first operator to order the MCI D45 CRT LE. The first of four coaches was completed in Pembina at the end of March 2019 and on its way to the transit commission. The first significant mass order for the D45 CRT LE was 77 coaches, operated by LOOP Transportation, to be used as shuttles for employees of the Facebook social network in California.
The D45 CRT LE was developed along with longstanding partner Designworks USA and by working with advocacy organizations including the National Council on Independent Living (NCIL), Society of Manitobans with Disabilities (SMD), and The American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD). By early 2017 a prototype, in a disguising wrap, was shown to various transit agencies. The D45 CRT LE was formally unveiled at the 2017 American Public Transportation Association Expo in Atlanta, Georgia.
Like the J4500, the D45 CRT LE has a web integral semi-monocoque frame made of tubular T304 stainless steel and an entirely fiberglass exterior body. It also has the same wheelbase, overall length, front and rear overhangs, and front and rear track as the J4500, as well as the same engine options. The D45 CRT LE features radically different styling from previous D-Series coaches, with design elements from the newest J4500. The exterior is punctuated by dynamic character lines and sculpted forms. Inside, the coach retains the latest D-Series ceiling and parcel racks with added indirect lighting. The front entranceway is wider and features a spiral staircase with lighted step edges like the J4500.
|Length: 45.85 ft. (13.80m)|
|Width: 102 in. (2.59m)|
|Height: 138 in. (3.51m)|
|Wheelbase: 315 in. (8m)|
|GVWR: 54,000 lbs (24,494 kg)|
|Cummins ISX12 11.9 litre, 425 hp, with engine braking||EPA 2013||2017-2020|
|Cummins X12 11.9 liter, 410 hp, with engine braking||EPA 2017||2020 onward|
|Allison B500 Gen V 6 speed|
|Front: IFS 17,000 lbs.|
|Drive: 23,000 lbs.|
|Tag: 16,500 lbs.|
|Wide ride system with Sachs shocks|
|All wheel Bendix ADB 22X disc brakes|
|ZF variable ratio|
|Parker/Vansco fully multiplexed solid state electrical system|
|54 seated passengers (52 seated & 2 mobility aids)|
Driver area of Roam 1028.
Interior (high floor section) of Roam 1028.
Interior (low entry section) of Roam 1028.
- AC Transit (36 units on order) - California
- LOOP Transportation (for Facebook employee shuttle) - South San Francisco, CA
- Roaring Fork Transportation Authority - Colorado
- San Joaquin Regional Transit District - California
- Southwest Transit - Chanhassen, Chaska, Eden Prarie, MN
- Utah Transit Authority (on order)
- Xpress - Atlanta, GA
- Valley Metro - Phoenix, AZ
Demonstrator and engineering units
Below is a list of known demonstrator and engineering buses.
|Sept. 2016||2MGZDM8A0HW067559||Detroit Diesel DD13||Allison B500||
|67606||Sept. 2017||2MGZDMBA7JW067606||Cummins ISX12|
|68606||2018||JW068606||Cummins ISX12||Allison B500||
|68618||2018||JW068618||Cummins ISX12||Allison B500||Plain white|
|68678||2018||2MGZDMBA4JW068678||Cummins ISX12||Allison B500|
|68691||2018||2MGZDMBA7JW068691||Cummins ISX12||Allison B500||
|68717||2018||2MGZDMBAXJW068717||Cummins ISX12||Allison B500|
|68772||May 2018||1M8ZDMBA2JP068772||Cummins ISX12||Allison B500||
- A Breakthrough in Rider Accessibility and Commuter Rapid Transit: The New MCI D45 CRT LE . Press release. New Flyer Industries.
- "Built with MCI pride: Pembina, ND Manufacturing team completes production of the first MCI D45 CRT LE commuter coach". Press release. Motor Coach Industries. 26 March 2019.
- June 2018 agenda. Bow Valley Regional Transit Services Commission. 13 June 2018.
- Southwest Transit First to Take a Revolutionary Step Toward Greater Passenger Accessibility with Two New MCI D45 CRT LE Commuter Coaches. Press release. 19 November 2018. Motor Coach Industries.
- Altoona Test report
- Transbay Pilot Bus Schedule 2017, AC Transit. Dated December 8, 2017, retrieved on December 27, 2017
- New Demo bus arrived in town today!. Minnesota Valley Transit Authority Facebook video. 09 August 2018.