Metrolinx Transit Procurement Initiative
The Metrolinx Transit Procurement Initiative (initially called the Purchasing Co-operative) helps municipalities across Ontario save costs by coordinating their transit purchase and delivery. The unit cost of new buses is reduced thus allowing the savings to be returned to taxpayers or the transit agency.
The joint bus purchase initiative was originally started in 2006 with a consortium of six transit agencies: Barrie Transit, York Region Transit, Durham Region Transit, Burlington Transit, London Transit and Transit Windsor. Transit Windsor later dropped out. The buses would be 40 foot diesel buses to be delivered in 2007 and 2008.
In 2008, another joint purchase was placed with more agencies and Metrolinx taking over the initiative. This request for proposal was for 40 foot diesel buses, 40 foot diesel-electric hybrid buses, and 30 foot diesel buses.
A new joint procurement program was created in 2010 for specialized buses, which included transit systems in York Region, Peel Region, Oakville, Burlington, Durham Region, North Bay, and Waterloo Region.
- RFP for Twelve Metre/Forty-Foot Low Floor Urban Diesel Transit Buses, Ministry of Transportation., merx.com, retrieved on 2010-02-21
- Provision of New Eight (8) Metre High Floor Diesel Specialized Transit Buses, gotransit.com, retrieved on 2010-02-21
- Provision of New Eight (8) Metre Low Floor Diesel Specialized Transit Buses, gotransit.com, retrieved on 2010-02-21
- York Joint Bus Procuement Low-Floor Specialized Mobility Buses york.ca, retrieved on 2010-02-11
- Provision of New Eight (8) Metre High Floor Diesel Specialized Transit Buses, merx.com, retrieved on 2010-11-12
- Metrolinx joint procurement of specialized buses on behalf of municipalities, metrolinx.com, retrieved on 2010-11-12
- Kenora Handi-Transit to take delivery of new accessible bus this spring, kenoradailyminerandnews.ca, retrieved on 2011-02-20
- Provision of New Eight (8) Metre Low Floor Diesel Specialized Transit Buses, merx.com, retrieved on 2010-11-12
- Provision of Low Floor Diesel Urban Transit Buses & Diesel Electric Hybrid, merx.com, retrieved on 20110-03-04
- Metrolinx Facebook page photo, facebook.com, retrieved on 2011-06-16
|Current Divisions||GO Transit - Presto - Union Pearson Express|
|Current Projects||Eglinton Crosstown LRT - Finch West LRT - Hamilton LRT - Hurontario-Main LRT - Regional Express Rail - Viva Rapidways - Union Station - Union Station GO Bus Terminal|
|Current Projects||Transit Procurement Initiative - The Big Move - Smart Commute|
|Greater Golden Horseshoe Agencies|