Maschinenfabrik Augsburg-Nürnberg SG 220
|MAN SG 220|
|Years of manufacture||1978 to 1983|
|Length||16.5 or 18 metres|
|Width||2500 or 2578 millimetres|
The Maschinenfabrik Augsburg-Nürnberg SG 220 was an articulated transit bus built from 1978 to 1983. It was available in 16.5 or 18 metre lengths and had a horizontal diesel engine mounted under the floor in the front section.
Use in the United States
In 1972, the Urban Mass Transportation Administration initiated the Superbus project, which examined the use of articulated buses in transit service. MAN and Volvo each sent an articulated bus demonstrator to the United States for evaluation. In 1976, two solicitations (one from Seattle and another from a consortium of cities) awarded AM General two contracts for 398 articulated buses in total. AM General, the only manufacturer to submit a bid, had partnered with MAN to produce the buses. They were built in West Germany and assembled in the United States from 1978 to 1979.
When the partnership with AM General ended, MAN formed their United States division MAN Truck and Bus Corporation in 1980. They opened their own manufacturing facility in Cleveland, North Carolina and began producing the SG 310.
|Model number||Length||Number of doors|
- AC Transit - Alameda & Contra Costa County, CA
- Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS) - Charlotte, NC
- Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) - Chicago, IL
- Golden Gate Transit - San Francisco Bay Area, CA
- King County Metro (KCM) - Seattle, WA
- Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) - Atlanta, GA
- Minneapolis-St. Paul Metro Transit (Metro) - Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
- Port Authority of Allegheny County - Pittsburgh, PA
- San Diego Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) - San Diego, CA
- Southern California Rapid Transit District (SCRTD) - Los Angeles, CA
- Valley Metro - Phoenix, AZ
- Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (Metrobus) - Washington, DC
- Transit Bus Manufacturer Profiles. U.S. Dept. of Transportation, Urban Mass Transportation Administration, Office of Technical Assistance, Office of Bus and Paratransit Systems, Springfield, Va;Washington, DC;, 1982.
- "Momentum for new bus fleet speeds up." Transit Times. September 1976: 6-7. Web.