Jump to navigation Jump to search
Markham Transit provided transit service to the town of Markham, Ontario.
- Markham Transit was created in 1973.
- Markham Transit’s operation and maintenance were contracted out to Travelways and Miller Transit Limited.
- Was merged with several transit companies (Newmarket Transit, Vaughan Transit, Aurora Transit and Richmond Hill Transit) to form a regional transit agency called York Region Transit on January 1, 2001.
- 1 North Trunk ran along Highway 7 - now YRT routes 1 Highway 7, 91 Bayview South and 99 Yonge South
- 2 South Trunk ran along John Street, Denison Street - now YRT route 2 Milliken
- 2A 14th Ave - now YRT route 2A 14th Ave
- 3 Thornhill Local - now part of YRT route 3/3B Thornhill
- 4 Unionville/Markham Local - now YRT routes 40 Unionville Local and 41 Markham Local
- 5 Buttonville North - now part of route 40 Unionville Local
- 6 Brimley - Steeles to 14th Ave - see 21 Brimley
- 7 16th Avenue - Woodbine Ave. to Markham-Stouffville Hospital - now part of route 85 Rutherford
- 8 Kennedy - formerly TTC's 43C Kennedy - now YRT route 8 Kennedy
- 9 Markham Rd. - Steeles to Anderson Avenue - now TTC route 102D Markham Rd
- Unionville Express - now YRT route 302 Unionville Express
- Markham Express - now YRT route 301 Markham Express
- Unionville GO Transit Shuttle - now YRT route 202 Unionville GO Shuttle
- Business Shuttle - ran from Commerce Valley Drive West to Unionville GO Station, for reverse commuters when Stouffville Line had a reverse-commute bound train during rush hours
- Sunday and Holiday Express - ran along Yonge Street, John St, Leslie St. and Highway 7
There were also several north-south routes operated for Markham Transit by the Toronto Transit Commission:
- 17A Birchmount
- 24C,D,E Victoria Park
- 25D Don Mills
- 43C Kennedy Road (later regained by Markham Transit as route 8)
- 68B Warden
- 129A McCowan North