|USDOT Number||Full Legal Name|
|2075549||Downeast Transportation, Inc.|
Island Explorer is a seasonal shuttle bus service that runs in Mount Desert Island and Winter Harbor in Maine. It is operated by Downeast Transportation and is financially sponsored by L.L.Bean.
- Established in 1999 as a project effort in easing traffic congestion by transporting passengers in propane-powered buses while keeping the environment in and around Acadia National Park cleaner.
- On May 4, 2012, the Acadia Gateway Center in Trenton became the new administrative, maintenance, and bus storage facility for bus operations.
Buses operate daily from June 23rd to Columbus Day each year unless stated otherwise below.
- 1 Campgrounds - Village Green, Visitor Center, Bar Harbor Campground, Hadley's Point, Mt. Desert Narrows, Woodlands KOA, Bar Harbor KOA, Narrows Too, Hancock County-Bar Harbor Airport, Acadia Gateway Center
- 2 Eden Street - Village Green, College of the Atlantic, George B. Dorr Museum of Natural History, Atlantic Oceanside, Bar Harbor Regency, Bar Harbor Motel, Acadia Inn, Atlantic Eyrie Lodge, Wonder View Inn
- 3 Sand Beach/Blackwoods - Village Green, Sieur de Monts, Sand Beach, Thunder Hole, Otter Cliff, Blackwoods Campground
- 4 Loop Road - Visitor Center, Cadillac North Ridge, Sieur de Monts, Sand Beach, Wildwood Stables, Jordan Pond, Bubble Pond
- 5 Jordan Pond - Village Green, Visitor Center, North Ridge Trail, Bubble Pond, Bubble Rock, Jordan Pond, Seal Harbor Beach, Northeast Harbor Pier
- 6 Brown Mountain (ends Aug. 31st) - Village Green, Eagle Lake, MDI High School, Parkman Mountain, Brown Mountain, Northeast Harbor Pier
- 7 Southwest Harbor - Village Green, MDI High School, Mt. Desert Campground, Somesville, Echo Lake, Smuggler's Den, Clark Point, Southwest Harbor, Manset, Seawall Campground, Bass Harbor Campground, Bass Harbor Ferry Terminal, Tremont School, Bernard
- 8 Schoodic (end service date varies; see schedule) - Winter Harbor Ferry Terminal, Winter Harbor, Frazer Point, Schoodic Point, Birch Harbor, Prospect Harbor
- Bicycle Express (ends Sept. 30th) - Village Green ↔ Eagle Lake
This bus service is fare-free.
Acadia Gateway Center
- Address: 117 Gateway Center Dr, Trenton, Maine 04605
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Phone: (207) 667-5796
The entire fleet does not carry fleet numbers and are only identified by their license plates. All buses are equipped with front and rear bike racks and are ADA-compliant. All vans haul trailers that are equipped with bike racks.
|Island Explorer CSFE||1999-2000||Blue Bird||CSFE LPG||Cummins||Allison||17|
|2004||Ford||E-350 Wagon||Ford Triton V8 5.4L||2|
|2008||Ford||E-350 Wagon||Ford Triton V8 5.4L||2|
|Island Explorer MST II||2006-2007,
|ElDorado National||MST II LPG||Cummins B LPG Plus||Allison||28|
- Paul Murphy, General Manager of Downeast Transportation
- Tom Brennan, Operations Manager of Downeast Transportation