Hagerstown and Frederick Railway
The Hagerstown and Frederick Railway (H&F) was a passenger and freight trolley service that served Hagerstown and Frederick in the state of Maryland. Five branches also operated off of the main line to connect other nearby communities. It operated from the year 1913, ending passenger service (in Thurmont) in 1954, then freight service in 1958.
This section is incomplete.
- 1896: Frederick and Middletown Railway began construction, opening August 22 between Frederick and Braddock Heights. Service to Middletown commenced in October. Additionally, The Hagerstown Railway begun operation of an urban loop within Hagerstown, with crossing lines on Washington Street and South Potomac Street, and a branch to nearby Williamsport.
- 1897: Hagerstown Railway extends to Funkstown via Potomac Street
- 1898: Extension to Myersville built, creating the Myersville & Catoctin Railway.
- 1901: Hagerstown Railway began work on an extension east to Wagner's Crossroads (later Boonsboro Junction) and from there south to Boonsboro itself. This section was completed in 1902, with work beginnning immediately on the connection from Wagner's Crossroads to Myersville.
- 1904: The Hagerstown Railway built a connection from Boonsboro to Myersville, creating an interurban line. This allowed through-service to Frederick from Boonsboro.
- 1905: On Hagerstown Railway, a new line was started, running north from Hagerstown to Shady Grove, Pennsylvania. This permitted a connection to the Chambersburg, Greencastle and Waynesboro Street Railway. Passengers could then take the CG&W on to the mountaintop resorts of Blue Ridge Summit. Service never combined due to track gauge incompatibility.
- 1906: The Jefferson Branch opens, operating alongside Jefferson Boulevard.
- 1909: The Washington, Frederick & Gettysburg Railroad was purchased by the Frederick and Middletown Railway, which ran from Frederick to Thurmont. It was incorporated into the F&M in 1909, also renaming the F&M as the Frederick Railroad. During the next two years the network in Frederick was expanded and its facilities improved, with lines on Fifth Street, South Street and Market Street.
- 1911: The Hagerstown Railway and Frederick Railway merge, creating the Hagerstown and Frederick Railway.
- 1923: Name changed to Potomac Edison Company (December 31)
- 1954: The last passenger service ends, in Thurmont.
- 1958: Freight service ends, effectively closing down the H&F.
- Frederick - Hagerstown
- Frederick, connection to Frederick network and Thurmont Line, B&O, PRR
- Braddock Junction, connection to Jefferson Branch
- Mount Lena (aka: Smoketown)
- Boonsboro Junction, connection to Boonsboro Branch
- Hagerstown, connection to Hagerstown network, Williamsport branch and Shady Grove Line, Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O), Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) and Western Maryland Railway (WM)
- Thurmont Line
- Yellow Springs
- Bethel/Charlesville Station
- Lakeview (Early)
- Catoctin Furnace
- Thurmont, connection to WM
- Shady Grove Line
- Shady Grove, PA, connection to Chambersburg, Greencastle and Waynesboro Street Railway
- Williamsport Branch
- Boonsboro Branch
- Boonsboro Junction
- Jefferson Branch
- Braddock Junction
- Braddock Heights (Beachley's Store)
This section is incomplete.
The livery of fleet #150 was a green lower body, with cream/ivory upper body. A dark red (possibly maroon) frame painting around the windows, with same colored doors, and black roof wraps up the livery. See here for example.
|(1 car)||1896?||Jackson and Sharp||Order number 897
|2||1911||Baldwin||2 WH-308B2||Locomotive switcher.|
|3-4||1914||Baldwin||2 GE-55H||Locomotive switcher.|
|7||4 WH-101B2||Snow plow car.|
|8||1902||Hagerstown Rwy||4 GE-88B||Line car.|
|9||1918||W&OD||4 WH-93A2||Ex-Washington and Old Dominion Railway 26.|
|10||Baldwin||? WH ????||Locomotive switcher.|
|15||1917||CG&W||2 WH-68||Line car.|
|60||1914||Brill||Nearside||Taylor||Order number 19499.|
|61-62||1914||Brill||Nearside||Taylor||Order number 19501.|
|61-63 (2nd)||1917||Brill||Nearside||Replacements for 1st 61-63.
|64-65||1912||Brill||Nearside||Order number 18695.
|Order number 22456.
|168-170||1917||Brill||Pass/Bagg.||4 WH-101B2 (168)
4 GE-201H (169)
4 GE-201A (170)
|Fleet 168 is 2nd 168, replacing 1st, unknown disposition of first, possibly fire?|
The H&F owned and operated two trolley amusement parks; Braddock Heights Park and Electric Park. Trolley parks were popular with riders, due to convenient, direct service into the park during summer months. In pre-air conditioning days, mountaintop parks like Braddock Heights Park were popular summer getaways where city dwellers could entertain themselves and breathe cool mountain air. Electric Park in Funkstown had to rely on Antietam Creek for coolness, but served much the same function.
- Don Ross Group-Don's Rail Photos, Hagerstown and Frederick Railway
- Dave's Electric Railroads, Maryland
- Author unknown, A Day on the H&F
- Blue Ridge Trolley: the Hagerstown & Frederick Railway, Herbert H. Harwood Jr., Golden West Books, 1970. ISBN-13: 9780870950346
- Wikipedia, Hagerstown and Frederick Railway, accessed April 15, 2018.
- Don Ross Group, Hagerstown and Frederick Railway, accessed April 15, 2018.
- Hagerstown and Frederick Railway Historical Society (old site), Roster, accessed April 15, 2018.
- Author Unknown, A Day on the H&F, accessed April 16, 2018.
- Hagerstown and Frederick Railway Historical Society (old site), History - Trolley Parks, accessed April 18, 2018.