General Motors TA60-102N
|General Motors - TA60-102N|
|Years of manufacture||1982|
The General Motors TA60-102N was an articulated transit bus. In 1979, the Government of Ontario signed a $16.3-million contract with General Motors for 53 buses to be used in an articulated bus demonstration program. Four transit agencies participated: Hamilton Street Railway, Mississauga Transit, OC Transpo, and the Toronto Transit Commission. The first bus was delivered in July 1982 to Mississauga.
The buses began construction at the St. Eustache plant and were finished and tested at the London facility. The front section of the GM articulated bus used the first 30 feet of a 35-foot New Look and the rear half used the last 25 feet of a 40-foot New Look. The bus featured a redesigned front end that would later become part of the Classic.
During the trial it was found that the buses were more expensive to maintain than conventional buses. There were no other orders following the three-year trial period. Toronto eventually sold all 12 of their buses to Mississauga. Hamilton acquired nine of Ottawa's buses in 1987, and Mississauga acquired the remainder in 1988. Mississauga eventually retired all of their buses in 1997—replaced by New Flyer Industries D60LFs. Hamilton rebuilt a few of their's and the last one was withdrawn from service in 2007.
- Length: 60'
- Width: 102"
- Height: 121.5"
- Turning circle: 43'9"
- Guelph Transit - Guelph, ON (1 - Leased from HSR.)
- Hamilton Street Railway - Hamilton, ON (6)
- Mississauga Transit - Mississauga, ON (14)
- Niagara Transit - Niagara Falls, ON (3 - Leased from HSR.)
- OC Transpo - Ottawa, ON (21)
- Toronto Transit Commission - Toronto, ON (12)
- Transit Windsor - Windsor, ON (5 - Leased from HSR and Mississauga Transit.)
- Regional Transit Service - Riverside, CA (1 - Acquired from Mississauga Transit.)
Click here for the production list.
|Year||Thumbnail||Serial||Preserved As||Fleet Number||Current Owner||Notes|
|1982||2GHYR92H6C5200022||Mississauga Transit||5034||Regional Transit Service||
|1982||C5200037||OC Transpo||8222||OC Transpo||
|1982||2GHYR92HXC5200038||Hamilton Street Railway||518203||Seashore Trolley Museum||
- "Welcome Aboard the GM New Look Bus" by John McKane