Edmonton Transit System D.L. MacDonald Garage
Edmonton Transit System's D.L. MacDonald Garage was constructed in 1983 on the site of the spoil dump location for the Bay and Corona LRT extension that opened on June 21, 1983. D.L. MacDonald Transit Yards opened in December 1983 and is located at 13310 - 50A Street, which is visible between Clareview and Belvedere LRT stations. It serves as a LRT Garage, Maintenance Center and Operations Center, costing about $28.2 Million. It has recently been expanded to house the new SD160s (1038-1074) which are expected to complete arrival December 2009. Part of this expansion also included a new, separate building for maintenance equipment known as the Right of Way building. D.L. McDonald Garage itself is broken down into 4 distinct facilities. Building A is used for storage and the cleaning of LRVs, and is the building that was subject to expansion for the SD160 fleet in 2007/08. Building B is used for vehicle inspection and light maintenance. Building C contains the electrical substation, offices, dispatch as well as parts storage. Building D is used for heavy maintenance and is designed to support a fleet of 100 LRVs.
The Garage was named after Don MacDonald, who was the ETS superintendent, and had great ideas that influenced the creation of the LRT line and many other transit services. The Garage is facing expansions today and most recently participated in ETS's 100th Anniversary by offering tours to the public on September 20, 2008. Prior to that, the building has been open to the public on a number of occasions, including a Pride BBQ hosted by ETS, as well as LRT's 25th Anniversary in April 2003, and a tour as part of the 60th Anniversary of Trolleybus Operations in September 1999.