Durham Region Transit route 900 'PULSE Highway 2'
|Number of Branches||2|
|Types of buses used||New Flyer XD40 Nova Bus LFS Nova Bus LFS Artic|
PULSE 900 operates between downtown Oshawa at Richmond/Ontario and Centennial Circle and the University of Toronto Scarborough Campus at Military Trail and Ellesmere Road. It serves the intermediate municipalities of Whitby, Ajax, and Pickering. Pulse currently runs in mixed traffic with sections of curb-side bus lanes with 10 minute headways or better on weekdays during peak periods and midday. DRT will implement "conditional" transit signal priority and automatic vehicle locating systems for the BRT system.
This route has 2 branches
- PULSE 900 Highway 2 (Centennial Circle - King Street at Bond Street) (All Times)
- PULSE 900B Highway 2 (Kingston Road at Glenanna Road - King Street at Bond Street) (Weekday early morning and Sunday daytime)
- 2007 - DRT identified Highway 2 as an important corridor for rapid transit and prepared a business case for BRT along the route.
- June 15, 2007 - The government of Ontario announced their MoveOntario 2020 plan which committed $11.5 billion in funding 52 rapid transit projects in the GTHA. Metrolinx developed the Regional Transportation Plan (RTP), which became known as The Big Move, and approved it in November 2008. The Highway 2 rapid transit project was identified as a Top 15 Priority Project in The Big Move.
- April 2011 - The Region initiated an environmental assessment. More public open houses are to take place, and a vote is being held on what to name the service. DRT unveiled four proposed names for the BRT service and four distinct logos and livery. The names to choose from are: DRT Plus, DRT MAX, DRT Rapid, and DRT Pulse. From April 4 to November 14, passengers could vote on the website. And on November 30, the Executive Committee approved the name with the most votes: DRT Pulse.
- June 29, 2013 - A soft launch took place. The service operated much like the GO Transit route 94 that it replaced. All local stops were served along Highway 2 with added stops at Altona Road and Sheppard Avenue. Unlike the route 94, the route did not serve any GO stations or terminals and terminates at the University of Toronto.
- September 2013 - Construction began on dedicated bus lanes along Highway 2 in Ajax between Salem Road and Harwood Avenue. The westbound lane was completed by December, and the eastbound lane was completed by the summer of 2014. Construction soon followed for dedicated bus lanes in Pickering between Glenanna Road and Liverpool Road.
- 2015 - Dedicated bus lane construction was completed. Frequencies for weekday midday were increased from every 15 minutes to every 10 minutes or better.
- 2016 - Construction begins on bus only lanes between (West of) Brock Road and (East of) Bainbridge Drive in Pickering complimented by buffered bicycle lanes. Frequency was improved in the early morning periods on weekdays as well as Saturdays.
- 2017 - Construction began on the final two sections of the phase one dedicated bus lanes. Construction began at (East of Rotherglen Road to (East of) Westney Road in Ajax as well as (West of) Steeple Hill to (East of) Delta Blvd in Pickering. Each of these projects were scheduled to be completed by end of year 2017 and offered improved landscaping as well as safer pedestrian crossings at these busy intersections. Buffered bicycle lanes were also added across each of the sections. Due to a strike with construction workers employed by AECOM Construction, dedicated bus only lanes in Pickering between Brock Road and Bainbridge Drive, were unable to be completed by summer of 2017. Once the strike concluded, final paving on bus lanes took place.
- September 4, 2017 - Route 900 was given improved weekday evening service as well as 30 minute minimum frequencies 7 days a week. The route was added to the new Durham Region Transit High Frequency Network
- September 2018 - Construction began on a new section of bus lanes linking the Westney Road section to the Harwood Avenue section.
- October 2018 - Construction ramped up for dedicated bus lanes along Highway 2 between Wesntey Road bus Lanes to the Harwood Avenue Bus lanes.
- January 7, 2019 - Route 900 routing was adjusted. The new western terminus of the route 900 was moved to Centennial Circle. This decision was decided upon following a lengthy detour around University of Toronto Scarborough, and the plan is to better serve more areas of the campus.
- February 27, 2019 - The Region of Durham started design work for the next segments of bus lanes that extend upon and connect the bus lanes that were already built. These extensions include, Delta Boulevard to East of Fairport Road in Pickering, West of Dixie Road to Glendale Drive in Pickering, Glenanna Road to Brock Road in Pickering, and Salem Road to Galea Drive in Ajax.
- September 3, 2019 - Route 900 Sunday service increased from every 30 Minutes to every 15 Minutes on the new 900B branch that operates between Richmond and Ontario to Glenanna Road and the Pickering Town Centre.
|Centennial Circle Loop||Military Trail||Pan Am Drive||East||Walking connection to GO Transit 51, 12D, TTC 116A and TTC 905 at street|
|Military Trail||Ellesmere Road||Military Trail||East/West||95 116A||Pick up eastbound and Drop off westbound. Connections at West Side Stops for 12D, 38, 95 116A, 905, and 995|
|Meadowvale||Ellesmere Road||Meadowvale Road||East/West||95||Pick up eastbound and Drop off westbound|
|Sheppard||Kingston Road||Sheppard Avenue East||West||92||Drop off only|
|Port Union||Kingston Road||Port Union Road||East||92 103||Pick up only|
|Altona||Kingston Road||Altona Road||East/West||110B||110B only stops on westbound side|
|Rougemount||Kingston Road||Rougemount Drive||East/West||92 193 110B||110B only stops on westbound side|
|Rosebank||Kingston Road||Rosebank Road||East/West||193 110B||110B only stops on westbound side|
|Steeple Hill||Kingston Road||Steeple Hill||East/West||193 110B||110B only stops on westbound side|
|Whites||Kingston Road||Whites Road||East/West||92 193 110B||110B only stops on westbound side|
|Delta||Kingston Road||Delta Boulevard||West||193|
|780 Kingston Road||Kingston Road||N/A||West||193|
|817 Kingston Road||Kingston Road||N/A||East||193|
|Fairport||Kingston Road||Fairport Road||East/West||51 92 193|
|Dixie||Kingston Road||Dixie Road||East/West||193 111A||111A only stops on westbound side|
|Walnut||Kingston Road||Walnut Lane||East/West||51 92 193 111/111A|
|Liverpool||Kingston Road||Liverpool Road||East/West||193 223 111/111A 916||916 and 223 only stops on Eastbound side|
|Glenanna||Kingston Road||Glenanna Road||East/West||92 291 603 916||603, 916 and 291 only stops on eastbound side|
|Valley Farm||Kingston Road||Valley Farm Road||East/West||603 291 916||Accessible only on westbound side|
|Brock Road||Kingston Road||Brock Road||East/West||92 111/111A 291 916|
|Bainbridge||Kingston Road||Bainbridge Drive||East/West||291|
|Notion||Kingston Road||Notion Road||East/West||291|
|Elizabeth||Kingston Road||Elizabeth Street||East/West||291|
|Church||Kingston Road||Church Street||East/West||92 291||Stop labeled as "625 Kingston Road" while travelling east|
|Mill||Kingston Road||Mill Street||East/West|
|Westney||Kingston Road||Westney Road||East/West||92 291||Important transfer to route 915 Taunton|
|Ritchie||Kingston Road||Ritchie Road/Chapman Drive||East||291|
|Chapman||Kingston Road||Ritchie Road/Chapman Drive||West||291|
|132 Kingston Road||Kingston Road||N/A||West||291|
|113 Kingston Road||Kingston Road||N/A||East||291|
|Harwood||Kingston Road||Harwood Avenue||East/West||92 291|
|84 Kingston Road||Kingston Road||Durham Centre||West|
|69 Kingston Road||Kingston Road||Durham Centre||East||291|
|Salem||Kingston Road||Salem Road||East/West||92 291|
|257 Kingston Road||Kingston Road||N/A||East|
|Wicks||Kingston Road||Wicks Drive||East/West|
|Alexanders Crossing||Kingston Road||Alexanders Crossing||East/West|
|Audley||Kingston Road||Audley Road North||East/West|
|Lake Ridge||Kingston Road||Lake Ridge Road||East/West|
|Halls||Dundas Street||Halls Road||East/West||92||Connection to Dundas Street/Highway 412 Park and Ride.|
|White Oaks||Dundas Street||White Oaks Court||East/West||92||Some trips will short turn at this stop|
|Jeffery||Dundas Street||Jeffery Street||East|
|McQuay||Dundas Street||McQuay Boulevard||West|
|Wellington||Dundas Street||Wellington Street||East/West|
|Cochrane||Dundas Street||Cochrane Street||West||312|
|Annes||Dundas Street||Annes Street||East|
|Euclid||Dundas Street||Euclid Street||West||312|
|King||Dundas Street||King Street||East|
|Brock Street||Dundas Street||Brock Street||East/West||92 312||Important connection to route 302 Brock/Brooklin|
|Hickory||Dundas Street||Hickory Street||East|
|Pine||Dundas Street||Pine Street||West||312|
|Garden||Dundas Street||Garden Street||West||92 312|
|Lupin||Dundas Street||Lupin Drive||West||92|
|Craydon||Dundas Street||Craydon Road||East/West||304 312||312 only stops on westbound side|
|Hopkins||Dundas Street||Hopkins Street||East||92|
|Anderson||Dundas Street||Anderson Street||West||92 312|
|Bowman||Dundas Street||Bowman Avenue||West||312|
|Glen Hill||Dundas Street||Glen Hill Drive||East||312|
|Thickson||Dundas Street||Thickson Road||East/West||92||Important connection to route 305 Thickson/Garrard|
|Kathleen||Dundas Street||Kathleen Street||East/West|
|Kendalwood||Dundas Street||Kendalwood Road||East|
|Garrard||Dundas Street||Garrard Street||West|
|Thornton||King Street||Thornton Road||East/West||Important connection to route 910 Campus Connect|
|Waverly||King Street||Waverly Road||East/West|
|Stevenson||King Street/Bond Street||Stevenson Road||East/West||90 92||GO 90 only stops eastbound on King Street|
|Gibbons||King Street/Bond Street||Gibbons Street||East/West|
|Park||Bond Street||Park Street North||West||90 92|
|Warren||King Street||Warren Avenue||East||90 92 402 405|
|Midtown||King Street||Midtown Drive||East||402 405|
|Arena||Bond Street||Arena Street||West||402 405|
|Centre||King Street/Bond Street||Centre Street||East/West||90 92 402 405|
|Simcoe||Bond Street||Simcoe Street||West||90 402 405 407|
|Bond||Simcoe Street||Bond Street||North||401 422||Temporary stop on detour due to construction at Mary and Bond.|
|Ontario||Richmond Street||Ontario Street||East||Temporary terminus due to construction at Mary and Bond.|
|AM Peak||Midday||PM Peak||Early Evening||Late Evening||Early AM||Day||Evening||Early AM||Day||Evening|