Detroit Department of Transportation route 39 'Puritan'
|Communities Served||Detroit, Highland Park|
|Route Type||Neighborhood Route|
|Days of Operation||Daily|
|Vehicles Used||Gillig Low Floor, New Flyer Industries D40LF, New Flyer Industries XD40, New Flyer Industries XDE40|
|Average Daily Weekday Ridership (2014)||544|
39 Puritan is a bus route operated by the Detroit Department of Transportation in Detroit, Michigan, United States.
This route services Southfield Road between Fenkell Street and Puritan Street, Puritan Street between Southfield Road and Hamilton Avenue, Hamilton Avenue between Puritan Street and Manchester Parkway and Manchester Parkway between Hamilton Avenue and Woodward Avenue.
Fenkell-Puritan bus service
- April 5, 1925 - Fenkell-Puritan route introduced by Detroit Street Railway, operating from Woodward Avenue and Manchester Street in Highland Park to Fenkell Street and Meyers Road via various Highland Park residential streets, Hamilton Avenue, Puritan Street, Wyoming Street and Fenkell Street.
- late 1925 - Route extended west to Mills Road (now Southfield Road).
- 1926 - After a large portion of Redford Township was annexed into Detroit, the route is extended west to Grayfield Street.
- 1929 - Peak-hour service to 5 Mile Road and Beech Road (now Beech-Daly Road) begins.
- 1946 - Some trips extended west to 5 Mile Road and Middlebelt Road.
- 1947 - All trips cut back to Grayfield Street.
- October 17, 1948 - Route extended back west to Dale Street.
39 Puritan bus service
- April 6, 1952 - Fenkell Street portion of the route is split off and merged into the Fenkell route, and the western end of the route is now at Southfield Road and Fenkell Street. As a result, route is renamed Puritan.
- September 1966 - Route given the number 74.
- June 15, 1973 - Service after 9 PM is discontinued.
- July 1, 1974 - Service carried on by DDOT.
- June 1975 - Route renumbered to 38.
- April 15, 1978 - Route renumbered to 39 after routes 34 and 37 are separated.
- October 25, 2000 - Eastern end of route cut back from Woodward Avenue and Sears Street to Manchester Parkway and Woodward Avenue.
Last updated: August 28, 2020
|Frequency||Buses Used||First bus||Last bus||Notes|