Detroit Department of Transportation route 32 'McNichols'
|Communities Served||Detroit, Grosse Pointe Farms, Highland Park|
|Route Type||East-West Route|
|Days of Operation||Daily|
|Vehicles Used||Gillig Low Floor, New Flyer Industries D40LF, New Flyer Industries XD40, New Flyer Industries XDE40|
|Average Daily Weekday Ridership (2014)||2,816|
32 McNichols is a bus route operated by the Detroit Department of Transportation in Detroit, Michigan, United States.
This route travels on several roads between terminuses at McNichols and Telegraph Roads on the west side and Cadieux Road and Mack Avenue on the east side. After 7 PM on weeknights and all day on Saturday, the route continues eastward to Mack and Moross Road and on weeknights and weekends the western terminus of the route is at the Meijer store at Grand River and McNichols.
- October 26, 1925 - Route begins service as a Detroit Street Railway route called Six Mile East, operating from the Ford Motor Company plant in Highland Park east to Gratiot Avenue via East 6 Mile Road, Goulburn Street and Grenier Street. This route was split off from a Six Mile-Conant streetcar feeder bus route that began service nine months prior in April 1925.
- 1938 - Service extended eastward to Harper Avenue via Seymour Street, Kelly Road and Whittier Street.
- 1945 - Service to the Ford Highland Park plant discontinued, with the western terminus now located at West 6 Mile Road and Pontchartrain Boulevard, three blocks west of Woodward Avenue.
- June 9, 1950 - Route renamed McNichols East after 6 Mile Road within the Detroit city limits is renamed McNichols Road in honor of Father John P. McNichols, former President of the University of Detroit.
- 1951 - Sunday crosstown service begins, with the western terminus at West McNichols and Rockdale, west of Lahser Road.
- June 1959 - Service extended eastward to Mack Avenue via Harper and Cadeiux Road after the Cadeiux bus route is discontinued.
- 1965 - Service rerouted to remove an erratic jog along residential streets west of Gratiot.
- July 1, 1974 - Service carried on by DDOT.
- 1980 - All non-rush-hour service extended west to 6 Mile and Beech-Daly Roads in Redford Township, providing service during hours in which route 44 Second Boulevard did not operate.
- 1990 - All service extended westward to Rockdale after route 44 is discontinued. In addition, the route is renamed McNichols.
- January 23, 2016 - All weekend service has western terminus cut back to the Meijer store at Grand River and McNichols.