Detroit Department of Transportation route 2 'Michigan'
|Communities Served||Detroit, Dearborn|
|Route Type||ConnectTen Route|
|Days of Operation||Daily|
|Vehicles Used||Gillig Low Floor, New Flyer Industries D40LF, New Flyer Industries XD40, New Flyer Industries XDE40|
|Average Daily Weekday Ridership (2014)||2,141|
2 Michigan is a bus route operated by the Detroit Department of Transportation in Detroit, Michigan, United States.
This route serves Michigan Avenue between the Rosa Parks Transit Center and the Fairlane Town Center Hub. Trips between midnight and 4 AM Monday-Saturday are interlined with route 10 at Michigan Avenue and Greenfield Road.
Michigan streetcar service
- Novembet 25, 1863 - Route introduced by Detroit City Railway, providing horse car service on Michigan Avenue between Woodward Avenue and Thompson Street (later renamed to 12th Street and again to Rosa Parks Boulevard).
- before 1873 - Route extended west to 25th Street.
- 1895 - Route converted to electric operation and briefly merged with the Gratiot route.
- December 30, 1900 - Service carried on by Detroit United Railway.
- May 15, 1922 - Service carried on by Detroit Street Railway.
- January 15, 1950 - Route is made operated entirely by the Presidents' Conference Committee Streetcar.
- November 13, 1950 - Route merged with the Gratiot route.
12 Michigan bus service
- September 7, 1955 - Route is restored as a bus route, serving Michigan Avenue and Wyoming Street between Cadillac Square and Gate 4 of the Ford Rouge Complex.
- September 1966 - Route given the number 12 as a reference to its operation along US Highway 12.
- June 15, 1973 - Route merged with route 25 as route 12 Michigan-Gratiot.
2 Michigan bus service
- April 15, 1978 - Route is restored under DDOT operation and renamed 37 Michigan. Consequently, all DDOT routes numbered 37 and higher are renumbered one number higher.
- September 5, 1992 - Route merged with route 34 as route 93 Gratiot-Michigan.
- June 25, 1994 - Route is restored, operated by the Suburban Mobility Authority for Regional Transportation, as part of a route-swapping deal.
- April 1, 1995 - SMART gives control of this route back to DDOT.
- January 17, 1998 - Route extended west to Fairlane Town Center.
- December 2001 - Downtown terminus is relocated from Cadillac Square to Capitol Park. Peak hour service to Gratiot Avenue and Brush Street is discontinued.
- April 23, 2005 - Due to systemwide service cuts, overnight service is discontinued.
- July 14, 2009 - Downtown terminus is relocated from Capitol Park to the Rosa Parks Transit Center.
- January 30, 2017 - Overnight service is restored.
- September 1, 2018 - With the implementation of the ConnectTen network, route is renamed to 2 Michigan.
Last updated: August 28, 2020
|Frequency||Buses Used||First bus||Last bus||Notes|
|Weekday Peak||30||3||24-hour service|
- 2 MICHIGAN ~ 2 to DOWNTOWN
- 2 MICHIGAN ~ 2 to FAIRLANE