Detroit Department of Transportation route 12 'Conant'
|Communities Served||Detroit, Hamtramck|
|Route Type||Neighborhood Route|
|Days of Operation||Daily|
|Vehicles Used||Gillig Low Floor, New Flyer Industries D40LF, New Flyer Industries XD40, New Flyer Industries XDE40|
|Average Daily Weekday Ridership (2014)||900|
12 Conant is a bus route operated by the Detroit Department of Transportation in Detroit, Michigan, United States.
This route serves Conant Street between Outer Drive and Mount Elliott Street and Mount Elliott Street between Conant Street and Kercheval Street. The route also serves State Fair Street, East Grand Boulevard and Belle Isle.
- October 26, 1925 - Route begins service as a Detroit Street Railway route operating along Conant and Mount Elliott Streets between East 7 Mile Road and Harper Avenue. This route was formed from a merger between two separate streetcar feeder bus routes that began service nine months prior in April 1925.
- 1938 - Service extended southward to East Palmer Street and northward to Wyoming Street via Conant Street, State Fair Street, Woodward Avenue and West 8 Mile Road.
- 1940 - Service cut back to a new western terminus at the State Fairgrounds Transportation Center.
- June 14, 1944 - Service extended westward on West 8 Mile to Lahser Road, replacing the newly-discontinued Eight Mile West bus route. In addition, the route is renamed Conant-Eight Mile.
- June 1950 - Service extended southward to East Jefferson and Helen via Mount Elliott.
- February 1954 - Service rerouted off West 8 Mile onto Northwestern Highway to pull into the newly-opened Northland Center mall.
- 1966 - Service extended westward to Grand River Avenue via Lahser and West 7 Mile Road.
- September 1966 - Route given the number 24.
- July 1, 1974 - Service carried on by DDOT.
- June 1975 - Route renumbered to 12.
- 1980 - Service west of the State Fairgrounds Transportation Center reduced to weeknights and weekends after the Eight Mile East route is extended westward to West 7 Mile and Grand River.
- 1989 - Several weekday trips extended into Belle Isle, a large park located on a Detroit River island.
- June 25, 1994 - All service west of the State Fairgrounds Transportation Center discontinued. In addition, the name reverts back to Conant.
- 2007 - Service into Belle Isle discontinued.
- April 23, 2016 - Service into Belle Isle is restored as part of a pilot program.