Detroit Department of Transportation route 11 'Clairmount'
|Route Type||Neighborhood Route|
|Days of Operation||Daily|
|Vehicles Used||Gillig Low Floor, New Flyer Industries D40LF, New Flyer Industries XD40, New Flyer Industries XDE40|
|Average Daily Weekday Ridership (2014)||543|
11 Clairmount is a bus route operated by the Detroit Department of Transportation in Detroit, Michigan, United States.
On weekdays, this route primarily services Junction Street between Fort Street and Warren Avenue, Clairmount Street between Linwood Street and Woodward Avenue, and Harper Avenue between East Grand Boulevard and Cadillac Avenue. On weekends, this route operates between Livernois Avenue and Holbrook Street only.
Clairmount streetcar service
- October 26, 1921 - Service begins as a streetcar route operated by the city of Detroit, operating from Russell and Colby Streets, north of East Grand Boulevard (that intersection no longer exists, with Russell now an Interstate 75 service drive), operating along Russell (I-75), Owen Street, Clairmount Street and Joy Road to Grand River Avenue.
- Early 1922 - Service extended westward after the city seizes control of streetcar tracks on Joy Road and Epworth Street from Detroit United Railway. A joint-operating agreement later extends service south along Junction Street and east along East Milwaukee Street.
- May 15, 1922 - Service carried on by Detroit Street Railway.
- 1925 - Service extended eastward along Harper Avenue to Gratiot Avenue, merging with the former Saint Jean streetcar route. Route is renamed Clairmount-Saint Jean.
- 1927 - Route name reverts back to Clairmount.
- October 1949 - Streetcar service along Junction replaced by shuttle buses after the tracks along Junction and 35th Streets are removed and never replaced during the construction of the Edsel Ford Freeway (Interstate 94).
11 Clairmount bus service
- July 29, 1951 - Streetcar service ends permanently, with buses now operating along the entire route.
- September 1966 - Route given the number 22.
- July 1, 1974 - Service carried on by DDOT.
- June 1975 - Route renumbered to 11.
- 1980 - Service rerouted from East Grand Boulevard and Hamtramck Drive and Mount Elliott Street and Harper Avenue via East Grand Boulevard and the I-94 service drive due to the neighborhood in between being completely demolished for a General Motors plant.
- March 3, 2012 - Due to systemwide service cuts, service east of Woodward Avenue discontinued, along with weekend service.
- February 8, 2014 - Service east of Woodward resumes during weekday rush hours.
- January 25, 2016 - Service east of Woodward is expanded to all time periods.
- November 16, 2019 - Eastern terminus moved to Warren Avenue and Conner Street due to Saint Jean Street between Warren Avenue and Jefferson Avenue being closed off to be incorporated into an expansion of the Chrysler Jefferson North Assembly Plant. Weekend service is restored between Livernois Avenue and Holbrook Street.