Commercial Body Builders Polar
|Commercial Body Builders Polar|
|Years of manufacture||1994 to 2013|
|Length||22 to 24 feet (E-350 and E-450 chassis)|
Unknown (E-550 chassis)
The Commercial Body Builders Polar was a cutaway type bus built on a Ford E-350, E-450 and E-550 chassis. The body consists of an all-aluminum frame with aluminum panels that are digitally pulse-welded into place.
For the 2002 model year, the Polar was slightly redesigned to have less angular sides for increased interior space and better integration of the passenger door. By model year 2007, the passenger door was upgraded from manual operation to power operation. The original design is sometimes referred to as the Polar II and Polar III, while the redesign is sometimes referred to as the Polar V.
Production of the Polar ended in 2013 after a corporate restructuring which ceased the company's manufacturing operations.
- Ford Triton V10 6.8L (gasoline, 1997-2013)
- Ford Power Stroke V8 7.3L (diesel, 1994-2003)
- Ford Power Stroke V8 6.0L (diesel, 2003-2009)
- Ford 4R100 4 speed with overdrive (1994-2003)
- Ford TorqShift 5R110W 5 speed with overdrive (2003-2013)
- 158 inches (22' body length on E-350 and E-450)
- 176 inches (24' body length on E-350 and E-450 chassis)
- Unknown (E-550 chassis)
Polar configurations are represented by a code, which is usually composed of a prefix, a number of seating positions, a number of wheelchair positions (unless equipped with foldaway seating), and sometimes a suffix.
The basic configuration is represented by the prefix.
- RM - Rear mobility aid
- SM - Side mobility aid
- TS - Touring series
The first number indicates the number of seating positions in the bus.
The second number indicates the number of wheelchair positions in the bus. However, buses equipped with foldaway seating in the wheelchair positions do not have this second number in their configuration codes. For example, a side mobility aid bus with 20 seats and two wheelchair positions will have the configuration code SM20.
Options are signified with the suffix. If a bus is ordered without any options, it will not have a suffix in its configuration code. If a bus is ordered with multiple options, it will have two suffixes combined into one. For example, a 17-seat touring series bus with a front luggage rack and perimeter seating will have the configuration code TS17FLP.
- FL - Front luggage rack
- P - Perimeter seating
- RF - Rear-facing wheelchair securement
- RL - Rear luggage compartment
- AKAL Airporter - Victoria, BC
- BC Transit - Province of British Columbia excluding Metro Vancouver
- Bowen Island Community Transit Ltd. - Bowen Island, BC
- Coast Mountain Bus Company - Metro Vancouver, BC
- Lethbridge Transit - Lethbridge, AB
- Luxury Transport Inc. - Burnaby, BC
- Oceanside Shuttle Service - Parksville, BC
- Shriners of British Columbia and Yukon - Province of British Columbia and Yukon Territory
- TransLink HandyDart - Metro Vancouver, BC
- Vanwest Charters Inc. - Vancouver, BC
- West Vancouver Municipal Transit - West Vancouver, BC
- Whistler Rides Inc. - Whistler, BC
- Archived copy of Commercial Body Builders website
- Personal notes & sightings