Coast Mountain Bus Company route 99 'Commercial - Broadway Station / UBC (B-Line)'
|Launched||September 3, 1996|
|Number of Stops||13|
University Endowment Lands
University of British Columbia
|Operations||Burnaby Transit Centre|
|Vehicles||NFI DE60LFR |
|Branches||99 Commercial–Broadway Station B-Line|
99 UBC B-Line
99 To Boundary B-Line (select trips)
99 To Alma B-Line (two trips)
99 Commercial–Broadway Station/UBC (B-Line) is a bus rapid transit route operated by Coast Mountain Bus Company in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
This is an arterial east-west express route in Vancouver running along Broadway, providing connections between the University of British Columbia, the Canada Line at Broadway–City Hall Station, and the Expo Line & Millennium Line at Commercial–Broadway Station. Service runs daily every 3–4 minutes during peak hours and every 5–6 minutes during off-peak hours. Year after year, the 99 B-Line has the highest ridership in the system and is the busiest bus route in Canada and the United States.
Eastbound trips depart from UBC Exchange heading south on Wesbrook Mall, east on University Boulevard becoming W. 10th Avenue, north on Alma Street, east on W. Broadway, north on Commercial Drive to Commercial–Broadway Station, where it terminates.
Westbound trips depart from Commercial–Broadway Station heading west on E. Broadway, south on Alma Street, west on W. 10th Avenue becoming University Boulevard, north on Wesbrook Mall to UBC Exchange.
Trips returning to the yard run as 99 To Boundary and continue east on Broadway beyond Commercial–Broadway Station becoming Lougheed Highway, then north on Boundary Road to Boundary & Lougheed Highway. Westbound trips starting their runs begin at Boundary Loop and travel west on Lougheed Highway becoming E. Broadway and continues on the regular route to UBC.
Two westbound trips on early weekday mornings run to Alma Street only.
|99 B-Line Stops|
|Pick-up and drop-off service at all stops.|
Points of Interest
- Commercial–Broadway Station (Bay 5)
- Vancouver Community College
- Broadway–City Hall Station (Bay 1 – Commercial–Broadway Station) (Bay 4 – UBC)
- Vancouver General Hospital
- University Golf Club
- Jim Everett Memorial Park
- University of British Columbia
- War Memorial Gym
- UBC Aquatic Centre
- UBC Recreation
- AMS Student Nest
- UBC Exchange (Bay 7)
- September 1996 - Route introduced, travelling between UBC Exchange to Lougheed Mall Exchange. Some trips operated UBC Exchange to Broadway Station, with daytime service weekdays and Saturday only, and all buses were assigned from Port Coquitlam Transit Centre.
- April 1997 - Operation transferred to Burnaby Transit Centre
- September 1998 - Operation hours extended until midnight, but all evening and Sunday service terminated at Brentwood Mall (Halifax and Willingdon),
- September 1998 - New New Flyer D60LF buses introduced to replace New Flyer D60 and various standard 40-foot buses formerly servicing this route
- September 1998 - Eastern terminus moved to inside Lougheed Mall Exchange 
- September 1999 - All evening and Sunday trips extended to Lougheed Mall, with some peak hour trips operating along Winston Street and Government Street instead of Lougheed Highway
- March 2000 - Millennium Line construction: route detoured off Lougheed Highway onto Winston, Government, and Austin to Lougheed Mall
- May 2000 - Millennium Line construction: routing revised to via Lougheed Highway, Rosser, Dawson, Beta, Lougheed then regular route to Lougheed Mall
- June 2000 - Millennium Line construction: temporary rerouting of detour routing revised to go via Lougheed, Bainbridge, Winston, then regular detour routing to Lougheed Mall due to the closure of Winston Slip
- July 2000 - Winston Slip reopened and detour routing revised to go via Lougheed, Winston, regular detour routing to Lougheed Mall
- 2000 - Diversion in Burnaby area due to Millennium Line construction. Eastbound to Lougheed Mall via Gilmore, Dawson, Beta, Lougheed, Sperling, Winston, Government, Austin to Lougheed Mall; westbound to UBC via Austin, Government, Winston, Sperling, Lougheed back to regular route on Willingdon, Halifax and Rosser to Lougheed
- September 2002 - Route shortened to Broadway Station with the start of the Millennium Line
- September 2003 - 99S Special non-stop service introduced operating between Broadway Station and UBC during peak hours only 
- December 2005 - 99S Special discontinued and replaced with improved regular 99 B-Line service
- June 2007 - All-door boarding introduced at all stops on articulated buses only initially as an eight-week pilot test, making the 99 B-Line the first all-door boarding route in the system
- September 2009 - Eastern terminus Broadway Station renamed to Commercial–Broadway Station
- December 2009 - Two new stops added along route: Arbutus Street and Fraser Street
|Service Period||First Trip to Last Trip||Frequency|
|Weekday Westbound||5:47 AM - 1:52 AM||2-3 AM Peak, 4-5 PM Peak and Midday, 10 Evening, 12-30 Late evening|
|Weekday Eastbound||6:11 AM - 1:04 AM||2-3 PM Peak, 4-5 AM Peak and Midday, 8-10 Evening, 12-15 Late evening|
|Saturday Westbound||6:52 AM - 1:52 AM||8 Midday, 10 Morning, 12 Evening, 12-30 Late evening|
|Saturday Eastbound||7:30 AM - 1:03 AM||8 Midday, 12 Morning and Evening, 12-15 Late evening|
|Sunday Westbound||7:00 AM - 1:52 AM||8 Midday, 12 Morning and Evening, 12-30 Late evening|
|Sunday Eastbound||7:35 AM - 1:04 AM||10 Midday, 12-15 Late evening|
- TransLink’s UBC Line Rapid Transit Study Shortlist of Alternatives City of Vancouver, retrieved 16-09-2020
- The Buzzer August 21, 1998 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 12-01-2017
- The Buzzer March 2, 2000 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 04-05-2020
- The Buzzer May 12, 2000 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 04-05-2020
- The Buzzer June 23, 2000 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 04-05-2020
- The Buzzer April 18, 2003 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 12-01-2017
- The Buzzer November 25, 2005 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 11-05-2020
- The Buzzer January 6, 2006 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 08-10-2014
- The Buzzer June 22, 2007 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 08-10-2014
- Bus service changes coming December 14: new 99 B-Line stops and more, buzzer.translink.ca, retrieved 10-12-2009