Coast Mountain Bus Company route 601 'South Delta / Boundary Bay / Bridgeport Stn'
|Termini||2nd Avenue at 52A Street|
|Operations||Richmond Transit Centre|
|Vehicles||NFI XD40 *|
NFI XDE60 **
Nova Bus LFS *
Nova Bus LFS Suburban
|Branches||601 South Delta|
601 Bridgeport Station
601 Boundary Bay***
601 Ladner Exchange!
601 South Delta Exchange#
601 To Steveston Highway%
* Select weekend/holiday trips and on occasional weekday trips
601 South Delta/Bridgeport Station is a bus route operated by Coast Mountain Bus Company in Metro Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
This is a north-south route that connects Tsawwassen and Ladner in Delta with the City of Richmond as well as the Canada Line to Downtown Vancouver. Early morning service is provided starting from approximately 4:30 am to Bridgeport everyday. The last trip leaves Bridgeport Station at approximately 2:00 am.
The route exits Bridgeport Station to access Highway 99 by Great Canadian Way southbound and Sea Island Way eastbound. It continues southbound along Highway 99 through the George Massey Tunnel until turning south along Highway 17A to take Ladner Trunk Road westbound and arrive at Ladner Exchange. From there it travels on Ladner Trunk, turns south onto Arthur Drive and then 53 Street where Arthur meets 34B Avenue, west along 28 Avenue and then south on 52 Street. It then proceeds to turn west onto Highway 17, then south onto 56 Street. It turns onto 12th Avenue westbound, 53A Street south until 8A Avenue, 52nd Street onto 6th Avenue, Milsom Wynd which becomes 4th Avenue and performs a loop by 54th Street, 2nd Avenue and onto 52A Street where it terminates.
Trips northbound to Bridgeport Station leave South Delta by 2nd Avenue onto 56 Street to South Delta Exchange. From there, it heads up 56th street, down Highway 17 to 52nd Street at the Tsawassen Mills Shopping Mall. Then it takes a right onto 28th Avenue and a left onto 52nd Street, which turns into Arthur Drive. Next, it takes a right turn at Ladner Trunk Road, and again at Harvest Drive and into Ladner Exchange. It then leaves out to Ladner Trunk via Highway 17A, and will either use the HOV lane and contemplate a sharp left turn similar to a U-turn or will perform a loop to access Highway 99 and the George Massey Tunnel. It then makes a stop after exiting the off-ramp on Steveston Highway at Highway 99. It exits Highway 99 to access Bridgeport Road to arrive at Bridgeport Station.
Peak hour service is provided to and from the Boundary Bay area by buses taking 56th Street southbound until 12th Avenue, taking 12th Avenue eastbound onto Boundary Bay Road, 3rd Avenue and then 67th Street to 1A Avenue where it terminates.
The last weekday northbound trip runs as the 601 To Steveston Highway, which does the 602 routing by following the regular 601 northbound route from Pebble Hill, except it will turn right onto Highway 17 from 56 Street, takes the next exit and makes its way onto Highway 17a where it continues down it until it catches back up to its regular routing at Highway 17A and Ladner Trunk Road. Its trip is cut short at the Highway 99 and Steveston Highway off-ramp, where it terminates.
During peak hour service, three trips terminate at South Delta Exchange. The two trips in the morning continue as a 603 Beach Grove and 604 English Bluff. The afternoon trip runs as a short-turn service and returns to Bridgeport Station not in service.
Four trips during the PM peak hour service terminates at Ladner Exchange and continues as a 606 Ladner Ring.
During AM peak hour service, some trips start at Ladner Exchange and come off of a 608 Ladner Ring. Some trips also start at South Delta Exchange, with most trips running to increase service between South Delta Exchange and Bridgeport Station, but some come off of a 603 and 604.
|601 Stopping Procedures|
|Pick-up and drop-off service at all stops. Local service between either termini and Ladner Trunk Road & Highway 17A.|
Points of Interest
- River Rock Casino and Resort
- Bridgeport Station (Bay 7)
- George Massey Tunnel
- Ladner Exchange (Bay 5 – South Delta) (Bay 6 – Bridgeport Station)
- Delta Hospital
- Rotary Park
- Tsawwassen Mills
- Grauer Park
- South Delta Exchange (Bay 1 – Bridgeport Station) (Bay 2 – South Delta)
- South Delta Park
- Diefenbaker Park
- April 1975 - Route introduced as 601 South Delta FastBUS, connecting Tsawwassen to Richmond Centre. Route was one of the first FastBUS services introduced
- May 1984 - Destination sign simplification: northbound 601 South Delta trips renamed to 601 Vancouver
- October 1990 - Accessible service introduced
- June 1993 - Boundary Bay branch service introduced to replace the discontinued 605 Boundary Bay/South Delta Exchange
- 1996 - One of the first of three routes to feature bike rack service provided by several New Flyer Industries D40 buses operated by Oakridge Transit Centre
- August 2000 - Service moved from Oakridge Transit Centre to Richmond Transit Centre
- 2001 - Service begins use of Orion V coaches
- September 2009 - Northern terminus moved from Downtown Vancouver to Bridgeport Station; Vancouver portion of route replaced by Canada Line
- September 2016 - Re-routed to 52nd Street and Highway 17 to serve Tsawwassen Mills Shopping Centre 
- The Buzzer March 28, 1975 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 05-10-2014
- The Buzzer March 16, 1984 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 26-04-2020
- The Buzzer October 5, 1990 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 27-04-2020
- The Buzzer June 18, 1993 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 9-12-2017
- The Buzzer August 18, 2000 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 19-11-2017
- The Buzzer August 19, 2016 issue, Translink.ca, retrieved 02-09-2016