Coast Mountain Bus Company route 601 'South Delta / Boundary Bay / Bridgeport Stn'
|Termini||2nd Avenue at 52A Street|
|Operations||Richmond Transit Centre|
|Vehicles||NFI XD40 *|
NFI XDE60 **
Nova Bus LFS *
Nova Bus LFS Suburban
|Branches||601 South Delta|
601 Bridgeport Station
601 Boundary Bay***
601 Ladner Exchange!
601 South Delta Exchange#
601 To Steveston Highway%
* Select weekend/holiday trips and on occasional weekday trips
601 South Delta/Bridgeport Station is a bus route operated by Coast Mountain Bus Company in Metro Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
This is a north-south route connecting South Delta and Bridgeport Station in Richmond via Ladner Exchange. Service runs daily every 20–30 minutes, increasing to every 15–20 minutes during peak hours in the combined section between Bridgeport Station and Ladner Exchange. Service on weekends/holidays runs every 20–30 minutes, increasing to every 15 minutes in the afternoon.
Northbound trips depart from 2nd Avenue & 52A Street heading west on 2nd, north on 52A Street, west on 4th Avenue becoming Milsom Wynd, east on 6th Avenue, north on 52nd Street, east on 8A Avenue, north on 53A Street, east on 12th Avenue, north on 56th Street, west on Highway 17, north on 52nd Street, east on 28th Avenue, north on 53rd Street becoming Arthur Drive, east on Ladner Trunk Road, and south on Harvest Drive to Ladner Exchange. Continuing from Ladner Exchange, trips head north on Harvest Drive, east on Ladner Trunk Road, north on Highway 17A, west on Highway 99 and crossing the George Massey Tunnel, then taking the Steveston Highway exit. Continuing from the Steveston Highway off-ramp, trips merge back onto Highway 99 heading north then taking the Bridgeport Road exit heading west on Bridgeport and north on Great Canadian Way to Bridgeport Station.
Southbound trips depart Bridgeport Station heading south on Great Canadian Way, east on Sea Island Way, south on Highway 99 and across the George Massey Tunnel. Then trips head south on Highway 17A, west on Ladner Trunk Road, and south on Harvest Drive to Ladner Exchange. Continuing from Ladner Exchange, trips head north on Harvest Drive, west on Ladner Trunk Road, south on Arthur Drive becoming 53rd Street, west on 28th Avenue, south on 52nd Street, east on Highway 18, south on 56th Street, west on 12th Avenue, south on 53A Street. west on 8A Avenue, south on 52nd Street, west on 6th Avenue, south on Milsom Wynd becoming 4th Avenue, south on 52A Street, and west on 2nd Avenue to 2nd & 52A Street.
During peak hours, service is extended to the Boundary Bay area and trips bypass South Delta. There are three morning trips and two afternoon trips in each direction. Northbound trips depart from Boundary Bay at 1A Avenue & 67th Street heading west on 1A, north on 66A Street, west on 3rd Avenue, north on Boundary Bay Road becoming 12th Avenue heading west, and north on 56th Avenue where it continues its regular routing to Bridgeport Station. Southbound trips go via the regular route from Bridgeport Station until 56th Street & 12th Avenue, where trips head east on 12th Avenue becoming Boundary Bay Road heading south, east on 3rd Avenue, south on 67th Street, and west on 1A Avenue to 1A & 67th Street.
Four trips during the PM peak hour service terminates at Ladner Exchange and continues as a 606 Ladner Ring.
During peak hour service, three trips terminate at South Delta Exchange. The two trips in the morning continue as a 603 Beach Grove and 604 English Bluff. The afternoon trip runs as a short-turn service and returns to Bridgeport Station, not in service.
During AM peak hour service, some trips start at Ladner Exchange and come off of a 608 Ladner Ring. Some trips also start at South Delta Exchange, with most trips running to increase service between South Delta Exchange and Bridgeport Station, but some come off of a 603 and 604.
The last weekday northbound trip runs as the 601 To Steveston Highway, which does the 602 routing by following the regular 601 northbound route from 2nd Avenue & 52A Street, except it will turn right onto Highway 17 heading east from 56th Street, taking the next exit and makes its way onto Highway 17A – bypassing Ladner Exchange – where it continues the regular 601 routing along Highway 17A and then north on Highway 99 to Steveston Highway where it terminates.
|601 Stopping Procedures|
|Pick-up and drop-off service at all stops. Local service between either termini and Ladner Trunk Road & Highway 17A.|
Points of Interest
- River Rock Casino and Resort
- Bridgeport Station (Bay 7)
- George Massey Tunnel
- Ladner Exchange (Bay 5 – South Delta) (Bay 6 – Bridgeport Station)
- Delta Hospital
- Rotary Park
- Paterson Park
- Tsawwassen Mills
- Grauer Park
- South Delta Exchange (Bay 1 – Bridgeport Station) (Bay 2 – South Delta)
- South Delta Park
- Diefenbaker Park
- April 1975 - Route introduced as 601 South Delta FastBUS, connecting Tsawwassen to Richmond Centre. The route was one of the first FastBUS services introduced
- July 1976 - Service extended to Downtown Vancouver and select trips during peak hours revised to terminate in Boundary Bay, to supplement the newly introduced 305 Boundary Bay
- May 1984 - Destination sign simplification: Northbound 601 South Delta trips renamed to 601 Vancouver
- October 1990 - Accessible service introduced
- June 1993 - Additional Boundary Bay service introduced to replace the 605 Boundary Bay/South Delta Exchange
- 1996 - One of the first of three routes to feature bike rack service provided by several New Flyer Industries D40 buses operated by Oakridge Transit Centre
- August 2000 - Service moved from Oakridge Transit Centre to Richmond Transit Centre. Introduction of trips starting/ending at Steveston & Highway 99 and discontinuation of garage-bound trips to Oak & 41st
- 2001 - Service begins use of Orion V coaches
- September 2009 - Northern terminus moved from Downtown Vancouver to Bridgeport Station following the completion of the Canada Line. Service in Vancouver discontinued
- September 2016 - Re-routed to 52nd Street and Highway 17 to serve the Tsawwassen Mills Shopping Centre; service on 56th Street between Highway 17 and 28th Avenue discontinued. Introduction of an additional trip starting at Boundary Bay in the morning
- May 2017 - Service proposed to be upgraded to join the Frequent Transit Network and to reroute from 52nd Street to Salish Sea Drive pending development within the Tsawwassen First Nation community. Service to Boundary Bay proposed to be discontinued due to extremely low ridership
- April 2021 - Weekend/holiday afternoon service increased from every 20 minutes to every 15 minutes
- The Buzzer March 28, 1975 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 05-10-2014
- The Buzzer March 16, 1984 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 26-04-2020
- The Buzzer October 5, 1990 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 27-04-2020
- The Buzzer June 18, 1993 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 9-12-2017
- The Buzzer August 18, 2000 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 19-11-2017
- The Buzzer August 19, 2016 issue, Translink.ca, retrieved 02-09-2016
- Southwest Area Transport Plan Appendix D translink.ca, retrieved 29-05-2021