Coast Mountain Bus Company route 4 'Powell / Downtown / UBC'
University Endowment Lands
|Termini||Eton Street at N. Renfrew Street|
Cambie Street at W. Hastings Street*
University of British Columbia
|Operations||Vancouver Transit Centre|
|Vehicles||NFI E40LFR |
Nova Bus LFS (occasionally)
Nova Bus LFS HEV (occasionally)
4 To Blanca (early morning trips)
* All evening trips terminate in downtown instead of at Eton Street & N. Renfrew Street
4 Powell/UBC is a bus route operated by Coast Mountain Bus Company in Metro Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
This is an east-west route connecting East Vancouver with the University of British Columbia via Downtown Vancouver.
The route departs from the University of British Columbia running along University Boulevard eastbound taking Blanca Street northbound, east on W. 4th Avenue followed by Hemlock Street going south and W. 5th Avenue going east to access Granville Street going north across the Granville Street Bridge to Downtown. The route exits Granville Bridge onto Granville Street continuing north, then east on W. Cordova Street onto Powell Street becoming Dundas Street and then north on Nanaimo Street becoming McGill Street, south on N. Renfrew Street, and west on Eton Street to terminate at Eton & N. Renfrew.
Westbound trips take Eton Street going west, north on N. Kaslo, west on McGill Street becoming N. Nanaimo Street, west on Dundas Street becoming Powell Street, followed by Main Street going south, west on E. Pender Street, south on Granville Street, and onto the Granville Street Bridge out of Downtown. It exits Granville Street Bridge by West Cloverleaf, W. 5th Avenue and then Fir Street onto W. 4th Avenue, where it continues west to Blanca Street going south, west on University Boulevard to UBC.
On weekends, holidays, days preceding holidays and Friday nights after 9pm, the route runs along Seymour Street northbound and along Howe Street southbound due to the closing of Granville Street for pedestrian use only.
Everyday in the evening and at night, there is no service east of Downtown Vancouver and all trips terminate at Cambie Street & W. Hastings Street. Service east of Downtown Vancouver is replaced by the 209 service. Eastbound trips route via regular route, then east on W. Cordova Street and then south on Cambie Street. Returning to UBC, the route heads south on Cambie, west on W. Pender Street and continues the regular routing to UBC.
Early morning westbound trips departing Eton & N. Renfrew terminate at Blanca Loop and evening eastbound trips departing from UBC terminate at Cambie Street & W. Hastings Street.
Points of Interest
- UBC Exchange (Bay 11)
- University of British Columbia
- AMS Student Nest
- Pacific Spirit National Park
- University Golf Course
- Blanca Loop (Bay 2 – UBC)
- Jericho Beach Park
- Vancouver Art Gallery
- Granville Station
- Vancouver City Centre Station
- Waterfront Station (Bay 3 – Powell)
- Vancouver Police Centennial Museum
- Little Tokyo
- Oppenheimer Park
- Hastings Park
- March 1986 - Eastern terminus moved from Kingsway & Slocan to Nanaimo Station by extending south on Nanaimo Street from E. 22nd Avenue; service on E. 22nd and Slocan discontinued and service revised to run as 4 Nanaimo Station/Blanca in both directions from 4 Blanca and 24 Nanaimo
- September 1988 - Service extended to terminate at UBC Exchange and eastern terminus revised from Nanaimo Station to Eton & N. Renfrew with service on Nanaimo Street between Dundas and Nanaimo Station replaced by the 7
- December 1996 - Evening service to Downtown revised to loop via Granville, Cordova, Cambie and then Pender to UBC; service to Powell required transfer to 4 Upper Lynn Valley 
- April 1997 - Downtown terminus revised to Pender at Homer Street
- April 2006 - Service rerouted due to construction of the Canada Line; service to travel along Seymour northbound and Howe southbound instead of Granville Street
- December 2007 - Service becomes accessible and bike rack equipped with New Flyer Industries E40LFR low-floor trolleys
- June 2008 - Service revised to route via Main Street between Cordova and Pender instead of Carrall due to construction of the Carrall Street Greenway
- September 2010 - Service revised to operate along Granville Street
- April 2011 - Trips running as 4 Upper Lynn Valley discontinued in favour of new route 209 Upper Lynn Valley/Vancouver to reduce rider confusion
- April 2013 - Route split in half due to Powell St construction. 4 UBC/Downtown service operated by trolley buses looping via Cordova, Cambie and Pender. 4 Powell/Downtown service operated by diesels looping via Hastings, Granville, Cordova.
- June 2013 - Construction results in east end 4 Powell temporarily moving to Hastings between Main and Clark.
- September 2013 - 4 Powell shuttle revised to maintain coverage on Cordova/Powell St, eastbound buses use Cordova to Heatley, then switch to Hastings. Westbound buses leave Hastings at Heatley, use Powell to Main, then return to Hastings to travel to Granville.
- The Buzzer February 28, 1986 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 24-09-2015
- The Buzzer August 26, 1988 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 13-11-2017
- The Buzzer December 13, 1996 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 26-03-2010
- The Buzzer April 4, 1997 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 25-03-2010
- The Buzzer April 24, 2006 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 23-04-2010
- The Buzzer February 2007 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 17-10-2009
- The Buzzer December 14, 2007 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 09-11-2009
- The Buzzer June 20, 2008 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 20-04-2020
- The Buzzer April 1, 2011 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 11-10-2014