Coast Mountain Bus Company route 480 'UBC / Bridgeport Station'
Effective April 24, 2020, this bus route is temporarily suspended as part of cost saving measures due to low ridership relating to the COVID-19 pandemic.
|Service Area||University Endowment Lands|
|Termini||University of British Columbia |
|Operations||Richmond Transit Centre|
|Vehicles||NFI XD40 |
Nova Bus LFS
Nova Bus LFS Suburban
|Branches||480 UBC Express|
480 Bridgeport Station Express
480 UBC/Bridgeport Station is a bus route operated by Coast Mountain Bus Company in Metro Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
This is a north-south express route providing limited stop service connecting the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, and Richmond. Service runs every 20 minutes and is available Monday to Friday during peak hours only.
Southbound trips depart from UBC heading south on Wesbrook Mall, west on W. 16th Avenue, and south on SW Marine Drive. It continues eastbound on W. 41st Avenue, then south on Granville Street, east on SW Marine Drive, north on Hudson Street, east on W. 71st Avenue, south on Oak Street and across the Oak Street Bridge on Highway 99, then taking the Sea Island Way exit heading west on Sea Island, and north on Great Canadian Way to Bridgeport Station.
Northbound trips depart from Bridgeport Station heading south on Great Canadian Way, east on Bridgeport Road to access the bus-only on-ramp onto Highway 99 heading north across the Oak Street Bridge, taking the SW Marine Drive exit heading west on SW Marine, north on Granville Street, west on W. 41st Avenue, west on SW Marine Drive, east on W. 16th Avenue, north on Wesbrook Mall to UBC.
|480 Express Stops|
|Pick-up and drop-off service at all stops.|
Points of Interest
- UBC Exchange (Bay 5)
- UBC Hospital
- Pacific Spirit Regional Park
- Dunbar Loop (Bay 3 – Bridgeport Station) (Bay 5 – UBC)
- Kerrisdale Community Centre
- Marpole Loop (Bay 3 – Bridgeport Station) (Bay 4 – UBC)
- Vancouver Transit Centre
- Oak Street Bridge
- River Rock Casino
- Bridgeport Station (Bay 4)
- September 1979 - Service introduced as Richmond–UBC, running mornings only from Richmond Centre to UBC via Oak Street Bridge with local service in Richmond and non-stop service in Vancouver
- September 1980 - Service reduced to two morning trips
- September 1981 - Service discontinued due to low ridership (the service change notes a discontinuation of route 480 Richmond–UBC despite a route number not being assigned in 1979 and 1980)
- September 1990 - Service re-introduced as 480 UBC/Steveston running during peak hours only when UBC was in session
- April 1999 - Limited summer service introduced on a trial basis with one trip in each direction
- September 2000 - Service revised to operate in both directions and year-round service made concrete and revised to operate between UBC and Richmond Centre. Operations transferred from Oakridge Transit Centre to Richmond Transit Centre
- 2003 - All day service introduced
- August 2007 - Routing revised to operate along Lansdowne Road instead of Alderbridge Way providing service to Kwantlen College
- September 2010 - After 10 am, Mondays to Fridays, every second trip short-turned at Bridgeport Station and the Canada Line instead of continuing to Brighouse Station
- April 2011 - Service between Bridgeport and Richmond–Brighouse stations discontinued due to service duplication.
- August 2014 - UBC terminus moved onto Wesbrook Mall due to UBC Aquatic Centre construction work and bus loop reconstruction
- June 2016 - Select stops removed west of Granville Street to improve consistency with the 43 Joyce Station/UBC
- January 2020 - Service reduced to run during peak hours only as part of RapidBus program roll-out changes
- April 2020 - Service suspended as part of cost saving measures due to low ridership relating to the COVID-19 pandemic
- The Buzzer September 7, 1979 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 26-04-2020
- The Buzzer September 19, 1980 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 26-04-2020
- The Buzzer September 18, 1981 translink.ca, retrieved 26-04-2020
- The Buzzer August 24, 1990 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 23-04-2020
- The Buzzer April 12, 1999 Issue, translink.ca, retreived 08-11-2014
- The Buzzer August 18, 2000 translink.ca, retrieved 23-04-2020
- BC Transit Route Frequency, bctransit.com, retrieved 17-09-2009
- The Buzzer June 22, 2007 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 19-01-2017
- Fall Service Changes begin September 6, 2010, translink.ca, retrieved 27-08-2010
- The Buzzer April 1, 2011 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 11-10-2014
- The Buzzer August 22, 2014 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 27-05-2020
- The Buzzer June 17, 2016 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 27-06-2016
- The Buzzer December 20, 2019 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 1-1-2020
- TransLink implements cost saving measures The Buzzer, retrieved 22-04-2020