Coast Mountain Bus Company route 41 'Joyce Stn / Crown'
W. 41st Avenue at Crown Street
|Operations||Vancouver Transit Centre|
|Vehicles||NFI E40LFR |
Nova Bus LFS *
Nova Bus LFS HEV *
|Branches||41 Joyce Station|
41 41st to Granville**
41 41st & Oak**
* In the event of a route diversion or bus shortage
41 Joyce Station/Crown is a bus route operated by Coast Mountain Bus Company in Metro Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
This is an east-west route connecting Joyce–Collingwood Station and the Dunbar–Southlands running primarily on 41st Avenue. It is a Frequent Transit Network route providing seven day service 15 minutes or better for 15 hours or more, seven days a week.
Eastbound trips depart from W. 41st Avenue & Crown Street heading east on 41st Avenue becoming Joyce Street heading north, and west on Vanness Avenue to Joyce–Collingwood Station.
Westbound trips depart Joyce–Collingwood Station heading west on Vanness Avenue, south on Joyce Street becoming 41st Avenue heading west, south on Crown Street, west on SW Marine Drive, and east on W. 41st Avenue to W. 41st & Crown Street.
Some evening and late night trips terminate at 41st & Oak. Some of those trips come off of a trip on the 19 Kingsway to Joyce. Of these trips, those originating from Joyce Station and some from Joyce & Kingsway terminate at 41st & Oak and trips originating from Crown and some from Joyce & Kingsway terminate at 41st & Granville.
Points of Interest
- Joyce–Collingwood Station (Bay 4)
- Memorial Park South
- Mountainview Cemetary
- John Oliver Secondary School
- Oakridge Shopping Centre
- Oakridge–41st Avenue Station (Bay 2 – Joyce Station) (Bay 5 – Crown)
- Kerrisdale Community Centre
- Vancouver College (VC)
- Crofton House School
- Dunbar Loop (Bay 3 – Joyce Station) (Bay 5 – Crown)
- The route was originally a trolleybus route with service between Joyce Station and Crown. Between the mid-1970s and June 2020, the route was served by a mixture of diesel and trolleybuses with the former running the majority of trips. Throughout the 2000s and 2010s, trolleybuses undergoing driver training made occasional unscheduled appearances on the 41.
- September 1951 - Service introduced as 41 Forty–First, Vancouver's first crosstown route connecting Joyce Loop at Joyce Street and Kingsway to Crown and Marine Drive
- August 1975 - Service extended to UBC to replace the 46 UBC–Marine
- October 1976 - Service extended from Joyce Loop to Kingsway and Marlborough in Burnaby. Select trips that extended down Kingsway from Joyce were operated by diesel buses, leaving from UBC every 15 minutes during the day and 30 minutes at night, Monday to Saturday. Trips leaving Kingsway and Marlborough left Kingsway and Marlborough via Marlborough, Bennett, Nelson, Kingsway, Joyce, 41st, to UBC 
- November 1980 - Trolley extension from Joyce Loop to Kingsway & Nelson Street in Burnaby proposed
- May 1984 - Destination sign simplification: eastbound 41 Forty-First trips renamed to 41 Joyce Loop or 41 Burnaby South for extension service to Burnaby; westbound renamed to 41 To Crown or 41 UBC
- January 1986 - Terminus of select trips to Burnaby moved from Kingsway and Marborough to Metrotown Station
- March 1986 - Eastern terminus moved to Joyce Station from Joyce Loop; all select trips extending to Metrotown Station canceled and trolleybus service limited to peak hours only
- October 1990 - Accessible service introduced
- December 1992 - 4:24pm trip leaving from Dunbar Loop towards UBC revised to service TRIUMF
- January 1993 - 41 UBC Express service introduced with two morning peak trips from Joyce Station; the service made limited stops at major cross streets and operated non-stop between Granville and Marine Drive at Camosun
- 1994–1995 - Trolleybus service revised to run during AM peak hours only following further extensions of westbound trips beyond Crown Street to UBC
- September 2000 - Regular trolleybus service discontinued
- December 2008 - Significant portion of the route, between Joyce Station and Crown, joins the Frequent Transit Network
- April 2012 - All trips revised to operate along Wesbrook Mall between W. 16 Ave and SW Marine Drive to address increasing ridership in the UBC South Campus area; service along W. 16th Avenue discontinued
- January 2020 - All westbound trips revised to terminate at W. 41st & Crown as part of the RapidBus program roll-out changes and frequency reduced from every 5-10 minutes to every 15 minutes
- June 2020 - All trips revised to run with trolleys following reallocation of resources from the 9 due to Broadway Subway construction
- The Buzzer July 3, 1964 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 07-01-2017
- The Buzzer August 15, 1975 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 25-01-2017
- The Buzzer October 15, 1976 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 06-01-2017
- The Buzzer November 14, 1980 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 26-04-2020
- The Buzzer March 16, 1984 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 26-04-2020
- The Buzzer May 25, 1984 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 26-04-2020
- The Buzzer January 3, 1986 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 25-11-2017
- The Buzzer February 28, 1986 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 24-09-2015
- The Buzzer September 21, 1990 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 27-04-2020
- The Buzzer February 12, 1993 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 26-03-2010
- New routes, expanded frequent transit, in largest-ever service increase, translink.ca, retrieved 26-03-2010
- The Buzzer April 20, 2012 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 28-12-2017
- The Buzzer December 20, 2019 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 1-1-2020