Coast Mountain Bus Company route 3 'Main / Downtown'
|Termini||Marine Drive Station|
|Operations||Vancouver Transit Centre|
|Vehicles||NFI E40LFR *|
Nova Bus LFS **
Nova Bus LFS HEV **
|Branches||3 Marine Drive Station|
3 Waterfront Station
* In the event of a bus shortage or snowfall
3 Main/Downtown is a bus route operated by Coast Mountain Bus Company in Metro Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
This is a north-south circular route connecting Marine Drive Station and Downtown Vancouver running along Main Street. It is a Frequent Transit Network (FTN) route with service 15 minutes or better for 15 hours or more, seven days a week. It is one of over a dozen routes that form as part of Vancouver's trolleybus network.
Trips depart from Marine Drive Station heading north on Yukon Street, east on SW Marine Drive becoming SE Marine Drive, north on Main Street, west on E. Hastings Street, north on Seymour Street, and east on W. Cordova Street to Waterfront Station at W. Cordova Street & Seymour Street. Continuing from Waterfront Station, the route continues east on W. Cordova Street, south on Main Street, east on E. 65th Avenue, south on Sophia Street, west on SE Marine Drive becoming SW Marine Drive, and south on Yukon Street to Marine Drive Station.
In October 2009, real-time information displays manufactured by INIT were installed at 29 stops along the route on Main Street. The displays were installed as part of the Main Street Urban Showcase Project, jointly funded by Transport Canada, TransLink, and the City of Vancouver.
Starting on December 31, 2020, 27 of these displays were retired and removed as the 2G network they ran on (which enabled internet connectivity to display information) was no longer supported by TransLink's service provider starting January 1, 2021. Two displays at Main Street–Science World Station were replaced by newer models – the same ones used at RapidBus stops – and the remaining 27 displays were removed.
Points of Interest
- Waterfront Station (Bay 3)
- Provincial Court of British Columbia
- Carnegie Community Centre
- Chinatown 溫哥華唐人街/華埠
- Thornton Park
- Main Street–Science World Station (Bay 1 – Main) (Bay 2 – Downtown)
- Science World
- Sunset Community Centre
- Punjabi Market ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਮਾਰਕਿਟ
- Marine Gateway
- Marine Drive Station (Bay 1)
Main article: Trolleybuses in Vancouver
For several decades, the 3 ran all the way to the West End along Robson Street. Prior to the amalgamation of trolleybus route numbers to transition routes from two route numbers for each direction to one route number, the 3 ran as the 3 Main/5 Robson. In 1997, the Robson portion of the route was separated to the 5 Robson/Downtown.
Before the route was introduced in 1953, this was a streetcar service that last ran as the 3 Main/7 Dunbar from Main Street & 50th Avenue and Dunbar Loop via Downtown Vancouver. Before the introduction of the Davie streetcar, the Main Street service ran as the 2 Davie–Main Street/3 Main Street South from English Bay to Main & 52nd.
For more details on the former Robson Street portion after September 1997, see the 5 Robson/Downtown page.
- 1953 - Service introduced as 3 Main/5 Robson, replacing the Main Street portion of the 3 Main/7 Dunbar streetcar and the Robson Street portion of the 2 Broadway East/5 Robson trolleybus route
- April 1981 - Inbound downtown routing revised to take Hastings Street between Main and Granville streets instead of Pender Street
- March 1986 - Service renumbered from 3 Main/5 Robson to 3 Main/Robson
- April 1991 - Sunday/holiday evening shuttle service in the West End introduced to run as 3 Robson/Downtown
- September 1997 - Robson section split to form the 5 Robson/Downtown; interlining with the 20 Victoria/Downtown begins. Downtown terminus was at Robson & Richards and trips continued as a 20 Victoria, with the starting point at Davie & Richards with trips coming off a 20 Downtown
- July 2005 - Service proposed to terminate in Chinatown, reducing service duplication into downtown due to low ridership and increasing service reliability
- September 2005 - Interlining with the 20 ends. Downtown terminus revised to Columbia & Pender in Chinatown
- December 2008 - Downtown terminus revised to Cordova & Seymour and routing revised to run via Hastings, Seymour onto Cordova. Service on Pender Street and Columbia Street discontinued
- September 2009 - Extended to Marine Drive Station with select trips short-turning at Marine & Main. Downtown terminus revised to Robson & Richards instead of Cordova & Seymour. Inbound routing revised to go via Hastings, Richards, Robson to interline with the 20 Victoria/Downtown. Outbound routing revised to come off the 20 and go via Robson, Seymour, Cordova 
- September 2010 - Downtown routing reverted to via Hastings, Seymour, Cordova. Interlining with the 20 ends
- April 2014 - All trips revised to terminate at Main & Marine due to Marine Gateway construction; service along Marine Drive temporarily discontinued
- April 2015 - Service to Marine Drive Station reinstated
- September 2020 - All southbound trips revised to terminate at Marine Drive Station and discontinuation of short-turn trips at SE Marine & Main
- January 2022 - COVID-19 service adjustment: AM peak hour service adjusted from every 7–14 minutes to every 10–12 minutes. PM peak hour service adjusted from every 8–12 minutes to every 10–12 minutes. Evening weekday service decreased from every 9–16 minutes to every 12–19 minutes
- Main Street bus information displays are now active buzzer.translink.ca, retrieved 02-07-2018
- INIT – TransLink initse.com, retrieved 02-07-2018
- What are those weird poles at the Main Street bus stops? buzzer.translink.ca, retrieved 02-07-2018
- Bus Projects, translink.ca, retrieved 23-12-2020
- The Buzzer April 3, 1981 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 15-03-2021
- The Buzzer February 28, 1986 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 03-09-2010
- The Buzzer April 12, 1991 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 15-05-2020
- The Buzzer August 8, 1997 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 03-09-2010
- Vancouver/UBC Transit Plan translink.ca, retrieved 10-03-2021
- The Buzzer December 5, 2008 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 03-09-2010
- The Buzzer December 15, 2008 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 03-09-2010
- The Buzzer August 27, 2010 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 28-12-2017
- The Buzzer April 11, 2014 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 12-06-2020
- April 3, 2015 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 12-06-2020
- Route diagram of 3 Marine Drive Station/Main/Downtown, as of September 2010. Translink. Retrieved November 27, 2010.
- Public timetable of 3 Marine Drive Station/Main/Downtown, as of September 6, 2010. Translink. Retrieved November 27, 2010.