Coast Mountain Bus Company route 2 'Macdonald / Downtown'
W. 16th Avenue at Carnarvon Street*
|Operations||Vancouver Transit Centre|
|Vehicles||NFI D40LF |
Nova Bus LFS
Nova Bus LFS HEV
* 16th Avenue branch service
2 Macdonald/Downtown is a bus route operated by Coast Mountain Bus Company in Metro Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
This is a north-south route running in Vancouver connecting Dunbar Loop and Downtown Vancouver via Kitsilano, with a branch service to W. 16th Avenue & Carnarvon Street. It is a Frequent Transit Network (FTN) route with service 15 minutes or better for 15 hours or more, seven days a week.
Northbound trips starting at Dunbar Loop head east on W. 41st Avenue, north on MacKenzie Street becoming Quesnel Drive, east on W. King Edward Avenue, and north on Macdonald Street. Northbound trips starting at W. 16th Avenue & Carnarvon Street head east on W. 16th Avenue to Macdonald Street. Then all trips head north on Macdonald Street becoming Point Grey Road, east on Cornwall Avenue, north on Burrard Street across the Burrard Street Bridge, west on Dunsmuir Street becoming Melville Street, and north on Thurlow Street to Thurlow & Melville.
Southbound trips depart from Burrard Station at Thurlow Street & Melville Street heading north on Thurlow, east on W. Pender Street, south on Burrard Street and across the Burrard Street Bridge, then west on Cornwall Avenue becoming Point Grey Road and south on Macdonald Street to Macdonald & W. 16th Avenue. Trips operating as 2 Macdonald–16th head west on W. 16th Avenue to W. 16th & Trutch Street where it does a U-turn and heads east on W. 16th to Carnarvon Street. Trips running as 2 Macdonald continue south on Macdonald Street, west on W. King Edward Avenue, south on Quesnel Drive becoming MacKenzie Street, and west on W. 41st Avenue to Dunbar Loop.
Southbound trips alternate between the Macdonald routing to Dunbar Loop and the 16th Avenue routing to W. 16th & Carnarvon Street. On weekdays, there is no evening service on the 16th Avenue branch.
Points of Interest
- Burard Station (Bays 1 & 4 – Macdonald) (Bay 8 – Downtown)
- Hotel Vancouver
- Robson Street Shopping District
- St. Paul's Hospital
- Burrard Street Bridge
- Vanier Park
- Space Centre
- Kitsilano Beach & Pool/Community Centre
- Carnarvon Park
- Dunbar Loop (Bay 2)
- Formerly route 2 Park & Ride/Downtown (BC Transit) running from PNE Park & Ride to Hornby Street & Beach Avenue during peak hours only
- April 1981 - Service revised to interline with the 22 Macdonald–16th Avenue
- May 1996 - Service discontinued
- June 1996 - Service cancellation reverted and trips revised to interline with the 1 Beach/Gastown and western terminus moved to Waterfront Station
- April 1997 - Service discontinued due to service duplication by Hastings Street suburban bus services
- June 1997 - Service re-introduced as 2 Yaletown/Downtown/Macdonald–16th Avenue, a revised short-turn of 22 Downtown trips extending to Yaletown on weekdays and Saturdays only
- October 2001 - Yaletown portion of the route discontinued due to extremely low ridership and funding shortfall
- December 2010 - Sunday and holiday service introduced
- June 2016 - Route extended to Dunbar Loop to replace the 22 during the Burrard Corridor Rehabilitation Project – initially as a temporary measure. Northbound trips renamed from 2 Burrard Station to 2 Downtown. Schedule adjusted to alternate between 16th Avenue short-turns and the former 22 Burrard Station–Dunbar Loop portion
- September 2020 - 23 stops in both directions removed as part of a six-week pilot project for bus stop balancing to improve bus travel times 
- November 2020 - End of bus stop balancing pilot project results in two removed stops being reinstated at Macdonald & W. 13th and remainder of removed stops permanently removed
- BC Transit System Route Frequency, bctransit.com, retrieved 17-09-2009
- The Buzzer April 3, 1981 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 26-04-2020
- The Buzzer March 22, 1996 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 02-05-2020
- The Buzzer June 14, 1996 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 27-03-2010
- The Buzzer April 4, 1997 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 25-03-2010
- The Buzzer June 13, 1997 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 26-03-2010
- Service Cuts for October 15, 2001 listed by Route Number, translink.bc.ca, retrieved 21-09-2009
- Service Cuts for October 15, 2001 listed by Route Number translink.ca, archived on Web Archive, retrieved 26-02-2021
- The Buzzer December 3, 2010 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 25-02-2018
- The Buzzer June 17, 2016 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 27-06-2016
- TransLink speeding up major Vancouver bus route by removing 25% of the stops, dailyhive.com, retrieved 11-5-2020